Re: An Email from John Key (spam?)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by JohnO, Apr 7, 2011.

  1. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    On Apr 8, 8:51 am, Me <> wrote:
    > I got an email from John Key:
    > ...
    > On behalf of the Prime Minister, Hon John Key, thank you for your email.
    > Please note that although email increases the speed of delivery, it may
    > not be possible to provide you with the rapid response users of email
    > may anticipate.
    > The fact that you have taken the time to write is appreciated.  You can
    > be assured that your views will be noted.
    > Yours sincerely
    > The Office of the Prime Minister
    > ...
    >
    > This came to my Gmail, addressed to me by my legal name  - first
    > christian name which I never use, & surname. Return address is legitimate..
    >
    > I'm a bit concerned...
    > I never sent an Email to John Key, or any other government minister, and
    > AFAIK my gmail hasn't been hacked, even if it had, they wouldn't have
    > found my first christian name.
    > I'm wondering what I'm supposed to have said.  Would seem to make sense
    > that if replying - even automated - the original email text is quoted.
    > I'm a bit concerned that if I duck out the door to pick up the
    > newspaper, the SAS might be hiding in the bushes...
    >
    > Should I reply to the email - to tell them "it wasn't me"?


    Can you verify from the email headers that it really did come from
    whom it claims to have?
     
    JohnO, Apr 7, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. JohnO

    Me Guest

    On 8/04/2011 9:13 a.m., JohnO wrote:
    >
    > Can you verify from the email headers that it really did come from
    > whom it claims to have?

    Yes - I believe it is 100% genuine.
    I think I've found the answer - looks like it may have been a family
    member signing an on-line petition via facebook somehow, and listing my
    Gmail address, which probably popped up easily on auto-fill if they were
    using my PC instead of their own. They are likely to get a good
    grilling and some firm instructions on how to do things properly after
    school today...
     
    Me, Apr 7, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. JohnO

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Me wrote:
    > On 8/04/2011 9:13 a.m., JohnO wrote:
    >>
    >> Can you verify from the email headers that it really did come from
    >> whom it claims to have?

    > Yes - I believe it is 100% genuine.
    > I think I've found the answer - looks like it may have been a family
    > member signing an on-line petition via facebook somehow, and listing
    > my Gmail address, which probably popped up easily on auto-fill if
    > they were using my PC instead of their own. They are likely to get a
    > good grilling and some firm instructions on how to do things properly
    > after school today...


    Auto-fill is a useful tool for a single-user PC.....
    --
    Shaun.

    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a
    monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also
    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
     
    ~misfit~, Apr 8, 2011
    #3
  4. JohnO

    Me Guest

    On 8/04/2011 11:20 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Me wrote:
    >> On 8/04/2011 9:13 a.m., JohnO wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Can you verify from the email headers that it really did come from
    >>> whom it claims to have?

    >> Yes - I believe it is 100% genuine.
    >> I think I've found the answer - looks like it may have been a family
    >> member signing an on-line petition via facebook somehow, and listing
    >> my Gmail address, which probably popped up easily on auto-fill if
    >> they were using my PC instead of their own. They are likely to get a
    >> good grilling and some firm instructions on how to do things properly
    >> after school today...

    >
    > Auto-fill is a useful tool for a single-user PC.....

    It's damned well supposed to be a single user PC.
    OTOH, if needed, I have a revenge plan, as the juvenile offender's
    facebook password is now saved on my machine...
     
    Me, Apr 8, 2011
    #4
  5. On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 10:03:06 +1200, Me <> wrote:

    >On 8/04/2011 9:13 a.m., JohnO wrote:
    >>
    >> Can you verify from the email headers that it really did come from
    >> whom it claims to have?

    >Yes - I believe it is 100% genuine.
    >I think I've found the answer - looks like it may have been a family
    >member signing an on-line petition via facebook somehow, and listing my
    >Gmail address, which probably popped up easily on auto-fill if they were
    >using my PC instead of their own. They are likely to get a good
    >grilling and some firm instructions on how to do things properly after
    >school today...
    >
    >



    Its happening to me for some, but I have no clue and how they got my
    ADDY..

    I don't use any of those Facebook type stuff.
     
    William Brown, Apr 8, 2011
    #5
  6. JohnO

    Me Guest


    >
    > I don't use any of those Facebook type stuff.
    >

    I set up a facebook account for myself, as kid's school was trying to
    use facebook as means of contact to set up car-pooling, minibuses etc
    after relocating following the quake.
    My conclusions:
    *It was completely useless for that purpose - like trying to have a
    conversation with 200 people at the same time, with everybody screaming.
    * I felt morally compelled to accept "friend" invitations from some
    people who really, really annoy me - like my 13yo nephew who's got some
    religious sickness of the mind (inherited from my dumb but nevertheless
    charming sister, apparently), and uses facebook as a soap box from which
    to practice his childish and absurd form of evangelism. Not being able
    to tell people like that to **** off because a) they're kids and b)
    you're related to them - gets to me big time. There's no polite way to
    escape these situations on facebook.
    *Some of my kid's friends "friended" me. All very nice - and great
    kids, but I'm kind of wary of being friends, sharing secrets and viewing
    various lewd comments and revealing photos from attractive teenage girls
    - YMMV - and no I won't give you their details.
    * it's far more fun just abusing privacy "rights" and hacking your kid's
    a/c when you do need to use facebook for something.
     
    Me, Apr 8, 2011
    #6
  7. JohnO

    Enkidu Guest

    On 08/04/11 13:13, Me wrote:
    > On 8/04/2011 11:20 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Me wrote:
    >>> On 8/04/2011 9:13 a.m., JohnO wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>> Can you verify from the email headers that it really did come
    >>>> from whom it claims to have?
    >>> Yes - I believe it is 100% genuine. I think I've found the answer
    >>> - looks like it may have been a family member signing an on-line
    >>> petition via facebook somehow, and listing my Gmail address,
    >>> which probably popped up easily on auto-fill if they were using
    >>> my PC instead of their own. They are likely to get a good
    >>> grilling and some firm instructions on how to do things properly
    >>> after school today...

    >>
    >> Auto-fill is a useful tool for a single-user PC.....

    > It's damned well supposed to be a single user PC. OTOH, if needed, I
    > have a revenge plan, as the juvenile offender's facebook password is
    > now saved on my machine...
    >

    You are going to frape someone?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    The ends justifies the means - Niccolò di Bernardo dei Machiavelli.

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles
     
    Enkidu, Apr 8, 2011
    #7
  8. JohnO

    Boots Guest

    On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 16:40:33 +1200, William Brown wrote:

    > On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 10:03:06 +1200, Me <> wrote:
    >
    >>On 8/04/2011 9:13 a.m., JohnO wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Can you verify from the email headers that it really did come from
    >>> whom it claims to have?

    >>Yes - I believe it is 100% genuine.
    >>I think I've found the answer - looks like it may have been a family
    >>member signing an on-line petition via facebook somehow, and listing my
    >>Gmail address, which probably popped up easily on auto-fill if they were
    >>using my PC instead of their own. They are likely to get a good
    >>grilling and some firm instructions on how to do things properly after
    >>school today...
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >
    > Its happening to me for some, but I have no clue and how they got my
    > ADDY..
    >
    > I don't use any of those Facebook type stuff.


    Easy - :p


    --
    "Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
     
    Boots, Apr 8, 2011
    #8
  9. JohnO

    Boots Guest

    On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 18:18:23 +1200, Me wrote:

    > There's no polite way to escape
    > these situations on facebook.


    Yes there is - hide all their posts on your wall.

    You're the adult. Have some forbearance and lead by example.


    --
    "Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
     
    Boots, Apr 8, 2011
    #9
  10. JohnO

    Boots Guest

    On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 13:13:16 +1200, Me wrote:

    >> Auto-fill is a useful tool for a single-user PC.....

    > It's damned well supposed to be a single user PC. OTOH, if needed, I
    > have a revenge plan, as the juvenile offender's facebook password is now
    > saved on my machine...


    Why aren't you using a password protected login and a normal a/c (instead
    of no password or an admin a/c with root-user privileges?


    --
    "Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
     
    Boots, Apr 8, 2011
    #10
  11. JohnO

    Me Guest

    On 8/04/2011 8:03 p.m., Boots wrote:
    > On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 18:18:23 +1200, Me wrote:
    >
    >> There's no polite way to escape
    >> these situations on facebook.

    >
    > Yes there is - hide all their posts on your wall.
    >

    So you don't see any of their posts at all.
    >
    > You're the adult. Have some forbearance and lead by example.
    >

    I did - I closed my a/c.
     
    Me, Apr 8, 2011
    #11
  12. JohnO

    Me Guest

    On 8/04/2011 10:12 p.m., Me wrote:
    > On 8/04/2011 8:03 p.m., Boots wrote:
    >> On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 18:18:23 +1200, Me wrote:
    >>
    >>> There's no polite way to escape
    >>> these situations on facebook.

    >>
    >> Yes there is - hide all their posts on your wall.
    > >

    > So you don't see any of their posts at all.
    >>
    >> You're the adult. Have some forbearance and lead by example.
    >>

    > I did - I closed my a/c.
    >

    aaahhh shoot.
    You can "close" your account, but they keep everything. I logged back in
    to my account, and there it all was, complete with /new/ horrid messages
    from juvenile evangelical preacher nephew.
    But thanks, I finally got it - the feature to hide all posts from
    another user. He's gone - won't have to put up with listening to his BS
    any more, until Xmas.
     
    Me, Apr 11, 2011
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Rob Slade, doting grandpa of Ryan and Trevor

    REVIEW: "The Devil's Code", John Sandford (John Camp)

    Rob Slade, doting grandpa of Ryan and Trevor, Jul 3, 2003, in forum: Computer Security
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,302
    Rob Slade, doting grandpa of Ryan and Trevor
    Jul 3, 2003
  2. DVD Verdict
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    529
    DVD Verdict
    Jun 6, 2006
  3. Rob Slade, doting grandpa of Ryan and Trevor

    REVIEW: "The Hanged Man's Song", John Sandford (John Camp)

    Rob Slade, doting grandpa of Ryan and Trevor, Jan 26, 2004, in forum: Computer Security
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    511
    Rob Slade, doting grandpa of Ryan and Trevor
    Jan 26, 2004
  4. Rob Slade, doting grandpa of Ryan and Trevor

    REVIEW: "Fighting Spam for Dummies", John R. Levine/Margaret Levine Young/Ray Everett-Church

    Rob Slade, doting grandpa of Ryan and Trevor, Aug 23, 2004, in forum: Computer Security
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    469
    Rob Slade, doting grandpa of Ryan and Trevor
    Aug 23, 2004
  5. Boots

    Re: An Email from John Key (spam?)

    Boots, Apr 8, 2011, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    431
    Boots
    Apr 8, 2011
Loading...

Share This Page