    the ranks of the crossbred nose-miners that's polluting everybody's
    usenet will start a lot of people thinking about it.

    ECM
    ecm, Apr 4, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    "ecm" <> wrote:

    > Unfortunately, a lot of the activity is because of the trolls'
    > new-found toy - crossposting and reseting the followups.

    I'll post this again: if you have a newsreader that handles filtering on
    regular expressions, setting up a filter along the lines of:

    Kill if Xref: matches the regular expression :.+:.+:.+:

    will eliminate all crossposts to four or more groups, and nearly all of
    the troll threads here. (Add or subtract a .+: to make it less or more
    sensitive to the number of groups, respectively.)

    ----j7y

    --
    jere7my tho?rpe | "The land knows whom it sent out;
    (440) 775-1522 | In the place of human beings
    | Their ashes in urns
    http://www.livejournal.com/~jere7my | Come back to each man's house."
    --- Aeschylus, The Agamemnon
    jere7my tho?rpe, Apr 4, 2005

  3. ecm

    Guest

    "jere7my tho?rpe" <> wrote:

    >I'll post this again: if you have a newsreader that handles filtering on
    >regular expressions, setting up a filter along the lines of:
    >
    >Kill if Xref: matches the regular expression :.+:.+:.+:

    This post reminded me to check my newsproxy settings. Oops, negated
    the r.p.d rule for some reason. Back to 4 and you are out of here.

    Thanks,

    Wes

    --
    Reply to:
    Lycos address is a spam trap.
  4. ecm

    Guest

    "jere7my tho?rpe" <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > "ecm" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Unfortunately, a lot of the activity is because of the trolls'
    >> new-found toy - crossposting and reseting the followups.

    >I'll post this again: if you have a newsreader that handles filtering on
    >regular expressions, setting up a filter along the lines of:
    >
    >Kill if Xref: matches the regular expression :.+:.+:.+:
    >
    >will eliminate all crossposts to four or more groups, and nearly all of
    >the troll threads here. (Add or subtract a .+: to make it less or more
    >sensitive to the number of groups, respectively.)
    >
    > ----j7y

    If your news reader doesn't do regular expressions you can use
    Newsproxy and a similar rule like:

    # More than three groups, kill it
    rec.woodworking drop Xref:*:*:*
    rec.photo.digital drop Xref:*:*:*

    Wes

    --
    Reply to:
    Whiskey Echo Sierra Sierra AT Alpha Charlie Echo Golf Romeo Oscar Paul dot Charlie Charlie
  5. ecm

    Paul Revere Guest

    On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 13:32:49 -0700, Bas v.d. Wiel wrote
    (in article
    <-media.nl>):

    > On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 13:23:38 -0700, ecm wrote:
    >
    >> Unfortunately, a lot of the activity is because of the trolls'
    >> new-found toy - crossposting and reseting the followups. A lot of the
    >> stuff that shows up here on RPD is from posters on other forums -
    >> usually completely unrelated to this forum - and they have no clue that
    >> they're crossposting, they don't check.
    >>
    >> I don't have an answer - but I'm hoping this recent spew of sewage from
    >> the ranks of the crossbred nose-miners that's polluting everybody's
    >> usenet will start a lot of people thinking about it.
    >>
    >> ECM

    > A proper newsreader helps a lot. I'm using PAN on Linux, which warns me
    > when I'm about to inadvertently violate Usenet etiquette such as
    > top-posting replies, posting HTML, lines longer than 72 characters or
    > crossposting without properly setting the follow-up.
    >
    > Bas

    Hogwasher on Mac warns prior to cross-posting, too. I can also killfile by
    subject for limited or unlimited periods of time; very handy for deleting
    Paul Revere, Apr 6, 2005
  6. ecm

    Matt Ion Guest

    ecm wrote:

    > Unfortunately, a lot of the activity is because of the trolls'
    > new-found toy - crossposting and reseting the followups. A lot of the
    > stuff that shows up here on RPD is from posters on other forums -
    > usually completely unrelated to this forum - and they have no clue that
    > they're crossposting, they don't check.

    That's beside the point. The OP's whole point was simply, don't respond
    to them. Intentional or not, responding is not going to have any
    influence: the true trolls either ignore the chastising, or love it
    because it feeds their purpose; the uninformed will most likely just
    ignore you anyway, and it yelling at them doesn't teach them how to use
    their newsreader properly.

    > I don't have an answer - but I'm hoping this recent spew of sewage from
    > the ranks of the crossbred nose-miners that's polluting everybody's
    > usenet will start a lot of people thinking about it.

    The answer is simple: don't respond. The ONLY thing it accomplishes is
    adding more unneeded traffic.
    Matt Ion, Apr 6, 2005