Re: America

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Aardvark, Sep 7, 2010.

  1. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 18:05:09 +0000, Periander wrote:

    > "Mr Pounder" <> wrote in
    >

    >> I am not an historian, but I have never of the American people slagging
    >> off Britain for the deaths of American soldiers whilst they were
    >> fighting for Britain in WW2.

    > If you were a historian and without any prior knowledge of the subject
    > had read some histories of the war published by American authors it
    > would come as quite a surprise to later find that the British
    > Commonwealth was even in the war.

    LOL, yeah.

    At the end of the war, my dad, who had served in Burma, was on some much-
    needed R and R in Calcutta. As he passed a cinema, he noticed that it was
    showing the Errol Flynn film 'Objective Burma' (released 1944). Having
    nothing better to do, and wondering how accurately would be portrayed the
    war in Burma, he went in and took a seat.

    The film made it appear as if it was the US Army alone which won Burma
    back from the Japanese. The cinema was full of British servicemen who
    knew what had *really* happened, and who spent most of the film booing
    and catcalling at the events unfolding on the screen, until some idiot
    got up and set fire to the heavy curtains which were drawn back to reveal
    the screen.

    The cinema was burnt to the ground.

    --
    The rocket bombs which fell daily on London were probably fired by
    the Government of Oceania itself, ’just to keep people frightened’.
    Aardvark, Sep 7, 2010

  2. Aardvark

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Aardvark <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 18:05:09 +0000, Periander wrote:

    >> "Mr Pounder" <> wrote in
    >>

    >>> I am not an historian, but I have never of the American people slagging
    >>> off Britain for the deaths of American soldiers whilst they were
    >>> fighting for Britain in WW2.

    >> If you were a historian and without any prior knowledge of the subject
    >> had read some histories of the war published by American authors it
    >> would come as quite a surprise to later find that the British
    >> Commonwealth was even in the war.

    >LOL, yeah.

    >At the end of the war, my dad, who had served in Burma, was on some much-
    >needed R and R in Calcutta. As he passed a cinema, he noticed that it was
    >showing the Errol Flynn film 'Objective Burma' (released 1944). Having
    >nothing better to do, and wondering how accurately would be portrayed the
    >war in Burma, he went in and took a seat.

    >The film made it appear as if it was the US Army alone which won Burma
    >back from the Japanese. The cinema was full of British servicemen who
    >knew what had *really* happened, and who spent most of the film booing
    >and catcalling at the events unfolding on the screen, until some idiot
    >got up and set fire to the heavy curtains which were drawn back to reveal
    >the screen.

    >The cinema was burnt to the ground.

    My son recently graduated and is now looking for a position where
    he can teach Social Studies. He considers himself a military
    historian and, like me, loves watching both good and very bad
    movies. The problen arises when we watch a movie that can't be
    classified as very bad, but has some attempt at historic
    accuracy. Watching him rant about how "that's not how it
    happened" is where I get my enjoyment.

    Mike "and don't even mention 'Braveheart'" Yetto
    In practice they are not.
    Mike Yetto, Sep 7, 2010

  3. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 08:12:43 -0400, Mike Yetto wrote:

    > Aardvark <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >>On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 18:05:09 +0000, Periander wrote:

    >>> "Mr Pounder" <> wrote in

    >>> If you were a historian and without any prior knowledge of the subject
    >>> had read some histories of the war published by American authors it
    >>> would come as quite a surprise to later find that the British
    >>> Commonwealth was even in the war.

    >>LOL, yeah.

    >>At the end of the war, my dad, who had served in Burma, was on some
    >>much- needed R and R in Calcutta. As he passed a cinema, he noticed that
    >>it was showing the Errol Flynn film 'Objective Burma' (released 1944).
    >>Having nothing better to do, and wondering how accurately would be
    >>portrayed the war in Burma, he went in and took a seat.

    >>The film made it appear as if it was the US Army alone which won Burma
    >>back from the Japanese. The cinema was full of British servicemen who
    >>knew what had *really* happened, and who spent most of the film booing
    >>and catcalling at the events unfolding on the screen, until some idiot
    >>got up and set fire to the heavy curtains which were drawn back to
    >>reveal the screen.

    >>The cinema was burnt to the ground.

    > My son recently graduated and is now looking for a position where he can
    > teach Social Studies. He considers himself a military historian and,
    > like me, loves watching both good and very bad movies. The problen
    > arises when we watch a movie that can't be classified as very bad, but
    > has some attempt at historic accuracy. Watching him rant about how
    > "that's not how it happened" is where I get my enjoyment.
    >
    > Mike "and don't even mention 'Braveheart'" Yetto

    Another film that always caused my dad's hackles to rise was 'Merrill's
    Marauders'. '5307th Composite Unit (provisional)' doesn't quite have the
    same ring about it, does it?

    Aardvark, Sep 7, 2010
  4. Aardvark

    Mr Pounder Guest

    "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 18:05:09 +0000, Periander wrote:
    >
    >> "Mr Pounder" <> wrote in
    >>

    >>> I am not an historian, but I have never of the American people slagging
    >>> off Britain for the deaths of American soldiers whilst they were
    >>> fighting for Britain in WW2.

    >> If you were a historian and without any prior knowledge of the subject
    >> had read some histories of the war published by American authors it
    >> would come as quite a surprise to later find that the British
    >> Commonwealth was even in the war.

    > LOL, yeah.
    >
    > At the end of the war, my dad, who had served in Burma, was on some much-
    > needed R and R in Calcutta. As he passed a cinema, he noticed that it was
    > showing the Errol Flynn film 'Objective Burma' (released 1944). Having
    > nothing better to do, and wondering how accurately would be portrayed the
    > war in Burma, he went in and took a seat.
    >
    > The film made it appear as if it was the US Army alone which won Burma
    > back from the Japanese. The cinema was full of British servicemen who
    > knew what had *really* happened, and who spent most of the film booing
    > and catcalling at the events unfolding on the screen, until some idiot
    > got up and set fire to the heavy curtains which were drawn back to reveal
    > the screen.
    >
    > The cinema was burnt to the ground.

    Warner Bros later apologised.

    Mr Pounder

    Mr Pounder, Sep 7, 2010
  5. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 16:23:07 +0100, Mr Pounder wrote:

    > "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 18:05:09 +0000, Periander wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Mr Pounder" <> wrote in

    >>> If you were a historian and without any prior knowledge of the subject
    >>> had read some histories of the war published by American authors it
    >>> would come as quite a surprise to later find that the British
    >>> Commonwealth was even in the war.

    >> LOL, yeah.
    >>
    >> At the end of the war, my dad, who had served in Burma, was on some
    >> much- needed R and R in Calcutta. As he passed a cinema, he noticed
    >> that it was showing the Errol Flynn film 'Objective Burma' (released
    >> 1944). Having nothing better to do, and wondering how accurately would
    >> be portrayed the war in Burma, he went in and took a seat.
    >>
    >> The film made it appear as if it was the US Army alone which won Burma
    >> back from the Japanese. The cinema was full of British servicemen who
    >> knew what had *really* happened, and who spent most of the film booing
    >> and catcalling at the events unfolding on the screen, until some idiot
    >> got up and set fire to the heavy curtains which were drawn back to
    >> reveal the screen.
    >>
    >> The cinema was burnt to the ground.

    > Warner Bros later apologised.

    For the cinema fire in Calcutta?

    Aardvark, Sep 8, 2010
  6. Aardvark

    Mr Pounder Guest

    Mr Pounder, Sep 8, 2010
  7. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 15:25:40 +0100, Mr Pounder wrote:

    >>> Warner Bros later apologised.

    >> For the cinema fire in Calcutta?
    >>

    > Yes.
    >
    > Mr Pounder

    LOL. Didn't know that. The only thing I knew about the incident was that
    my dad was there- didn't think it was known further afield.

    Aardvark, Sep 8, 2010
  8. Aardvark

    Mr Pounder Guest

    "Aardvark" <> wrote in message

    >>> For the cinema fire in Calcutta?
    >>>

    >> Yes.
    >>
    >> Mr Pounder

    > LOL. Didn't know that. The only thing I knew about the incident was that
    > my dad was there- didn't think it was known further afield.

    > --
    > The rocket bombs which fell daily on London were probably fired by
    > the Government of Oceania itself, 'just to keep people frightened'.
    > This was an idea that had literally never occurred to him.
    > --- George Orwell, 1984

    My old man was on the Atlantic convoys, he got torpedoed twice.
    I can still remember him moaning about that film, but he would watch it
    again when it was on telly.
    Still got his tacky medal in the attic, still wondering what to do with
    them.

    Mr Pounder

    Mr Pounder, Sep 8, 2010
  9. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 18:15:14 +0100, Mr Pounder wrote:

    > "Aardvark" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yes.
    >>>
    >>> Mr Pounder

    >> LOL. Didn't know that. The only thing I knew about the incident was
    >> that my dad was there- didn't think it was known further afield.

    >> --
    >> The rocket bombs which fell daily on London were probably fired by the
    >> Government of Oceania itself, 'just to keep people frightened'. This
    >> was an idea that had literally never occurred to him. --- George
    >> Orwell, 1984

    > My old man was on the Atlantic convoys, he got torpedoed twice.

    Was his middle name Jonah, by any chance?

    > I can
    > still remember him moaning about that film, but he would watch it again
    > when it was on telly.

    I can remember watching it with my dad a few times as a kid. I was in my
    twenties before he told me the story of the cinema, though.

    > Still got his tacky medal in the attic, still wondering what to do with
    > them.

    My brother in Dubai has my dad's medals mounted in a glass case along
    with the Kukri he was presented by a Ghurka.

    > Mr Pounder

    Aardvark.

    Aardvark, Sep 8, 2010
  10. Aardvark

    Mr Pounder Guest

    "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 18:15:14 +0100, Mr Pounder wrote:
    >
    >> "Aardvark" <> wrote in message

    >>> LOL. Didn't know that. The only thing I knew about the incident was
    >>> that my dad was there- didn't think it was known further afield.

    >>> --
    >>> The rocket bombs which fell daily on London were probably fired by the
    >>> Government of Oceania itself, 'just to keep people frightened'. This
    >>> was an idea that had literally never occurred to him. --- George
    >>> Orwell, 1984

    >> My old man was on the Atlantic convoys, he got torpedoed twice.

    > Was his middle name Jonah, by any chance?

    Could have been worse, he volunteered for submarines but was rejected.

    >> I can
    >> still remember him moaning about that film, but he would watch it again
    >> when it was on telly.

    > I can remember watching it with my dad a few times as a kid. I was in my
    > twenties before he told me the story of the cinema, though.
    >
    >> Still got his tacky medal in the attic, still wondering what to do with
    >> them.

    > My brother in Dubai has my dad's medals mounted in a glass case along
    > with the Kukri he was presented by a Ghurka.

    That is food for thought Sir.
    I shall run it past the wife.

    Mr Pounder, Sep 9, 2010