Re: America

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by philo, Sep 6, 2010.

  1. philo

    philo Guest

    On 09/06/2010 12:32 PM, Mr Pounder wrote:
    > I've just got yet another chainmail blaming America for the deaths of
    > British soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan.
    >
    > I am not an historian, but I have never of the American people slagging off
    > Britain for the deaths of American soldiers whilst they were fighting for
    > Britain in WW2.
    >
    > I lived in Australia whilst the Viet Nam war was being fought. To the best
    > of my recollections the Australian people did not blame America for the
    > deaths of their soldiers.
    >
    > Mr Pounder

    During the Vietnam war I served in the US Army. I was drafted...so I
    went in. For whatever reason, I ended up in Germany and not Vietnam.

    When I got my draft noticed...it certainly crossed my mind to leave the
    country...but I decided to stay. Know why? It was because it would have
    been very simple to leave. Had I gone to Canada there would have been no
    one to stop me. That made me realize that I was *no*t living in a
    totalitarian society and that I was in fact free...so I figured the US
    was a country worth serving.

    I am no hero...and would *not* gladly give my life for a good cause...
    so I'd be even more unhappy to have put my life on the line for a bad cause.

    The real problem with Vietnam was simply that *no one* could explain
    what the hell we were doing there!

    With Iraq and Afghanistan there is at least some rationality...
    but the focus is not much better than that of the Vietnam war.

    What really pissed me off about Bush was that it was obvious
    the US could defeat the Iraqi Army. The problem was he had absolutely no
    end game in sight.

    So in some ways...the British can blame the US...but as always
    war is hell. Nothing is fair...and what the hell can anyone do about it?
    philo, Sep 6, 2010

  2. philo

    Big Les Wade Guest

    philo <> posted
    >When I got my draft noticed...it certainly crossed my mind to leave the
    >country...but I decided to stay. Know why? It was because it would have
    >been very simple to leave. Had I gone to Canada there would have been
    >no one to stop me.

    Many of those who ended up fighting in Vietnam did so precisely because
    they were unable to skip to Canada. Usually poor blacks.

    > That made me realize that I was *no*t living in a totalitarian society
    >and that I was in fact free...so I figured the US
    >was a country worth serving.

    Doesn't make any sense. The fact that (some of) a country's citizens are
    able to dodge the draft doesn't imply that all of the foreign policies
    pursued by that country's government are justifiable. They are two
    quite different propositions.

    --
    Les
    Anyone regularly attending or organising protests should expect to be of
    Big Les Wade, Sep 7, 2010