Re: AMD QUAD CORE Phenom bundle (Maplins bundle) won't let me install WinXP!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by VanguardLH, May 5, 2009.

  1. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    frobber wrote:

    > Hi
    > I've just bought an "AMD QUAD CORE Phenom X4 9500 Hybrid SLi
    > Motherboard Bundle and 2GB DDR2 Mem" (Maplins bundle). I've added
    > nothing more than a DVD drive and an IDE Hard disk to get it going but
    > I cannot get WinXP to install. It gets as far as loading the setup
    > files into memory then stops with a warning about protecting the
    > computer. I've tried a different cable, CD drive and H\D but it always
    > hangs at exactly the same place.
    > I should mention that I am using the MB's single IDE channel
    > (HD=master. DVD=slave) as I don't have any SATA drives yet. I had a
    > problem like this once before and it turned out to be bad memory but
    > as I don't have any other sticks of DDR2 I cannot check this.
    > Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    You said "sticks" of memory. Plural. So why not try with one stick and
    if that doesn't work try just the other stick.

    Hard to tell just exactly what was the error from "a warning about
    protecting the computer". Perhaps that is the boot virus protection in
    the BIOS. See if you get further by disabling that option in BIOS.

    VanguardLH, May 5, 2009