Re: AMD CPU Heatsink/Fan question

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gordon, Jul 21, 2008.

  1. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-07-21, Jason Clinton <> wrote:

    > Dumb question,
    >
    > Are the current AMD heatsinks and fans compatible with various
    > sockets?
    >
    > e.g. Socket 754, 939, AM2?
    >
    > What about Socket A?
    >
    > The reason why I ask is that I've got a couple of AMD heatsinks and
    > fans here but don't know what CPU they're for.

    As much as anything a heatsink is "for" the CPU socket, after all it does
    attach to the socket frame.
    Gordon, Jul 21, 2008

  2. On 21 Jul 2008 06:10:58 GMT, Gordon <> wrote
    in <news:>:

    > On 2008-07-21, Jason Clinton <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Dumb question,
    >>
    >> Are the current AMD heatsinks and fans compatible with various
    >> sockets?
    >>
    >> e.g. Socket 754, 939, AM2?
    >>
    >> What about Socket A?
    >>
    >> The reason why I ask is that I've got a couple of AMD heatsinks and
    >> fans here but don't know what CPU they're for.
    >>

    > As much as anything a heatsink is "for" the CPU socket, after all it does
    > attach to the socket frame.

    The heatsink is 'for' the CPU, in that the CPU is what it dissipates heat
    from. It is however engineered to fit in a particular design of CPU
    socket frame. Therefore any heatsink designed for, say, Socket A should
    work with any CPU that fits in a Socket A socket.

    --
    - Nic.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Jul 21, 2008

  3. Gordon

    Richard Guest

    Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:

    > The heatsink is 'for' the CPU, in that the CPU is what it dissipates heat
    > from. It is however engineered to fit in a particular design of CPU
    > socket frame. Therefore any heatsink designed for, say, Socket A should
    > work with any CPU that fits in a Socket A socket.

    Until you worry about thermal issues that is, and there was the period
    where there was the flipchips which needed specific coolers to not chip
    the dies...
    Richard, Jul 21, 2008
  4. On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 20:26:14 +1200, Richard <> wrote in

    > Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >
    >> The heatsink is 'for' the CPU, in that the CPU is what it dissipates heat
    >> from. It is however engineered to fit in a particular design of CPU
    >> socket frame. Therefore any heatsink designed for, say, Socket A should
    >> work with any CPU that fits in a Socket A socket.

    > Until you worry about thermal issues that is, and there was the period
    > where there was the flipchips which needed specific coolers to not chip
    > the dies...

    Generalisations are often, of necessity, over-simplified.

    --
    - Nic.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Jul 21, 2008
  5. On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 21:13:32 +1200, Jason Clinton <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 18:48:43 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On 21 Jul 2008 06:10:58 GMT, Gordon <> wrote
    >>in <news:>:

    >>> As much as anything a heatsink is "for" the CPU socket, after all it does
    >>> attach to the socket frame.

    >>The heatsink is 'for' the CPU, in that the CPU is what it dissipates heat
    >>from. It is however engineered to fit in a particular design of CPU
    >>socket frame. Therefore any heatsink designed for, say, Socket A should
    >>work with any CPU that fits in a Socket A socket.

    >That's my question, they look pretty generic and the bracket for the
    >heatsink/fan looks the same between Socket A, socket 754, Socket 939
    >and I haven't seen a socket AM2 but I'm assuming it will fit as well
    >
    >If you look at the current heatsink design, they huge compared to the
    >actual CPU size and I don't see any reason why the one shape shouldn't
    >fit them all.
    >
    >Can anyone confirm?

    I do not think they will fit Socket AM2, as when I looked for Zalman
    coolers to support AM2 they had a specific model for that.
    Stephen Worthington, Jul 21, 2008