Re: Am I Wasting My Time?

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by David, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. David

    David Guest

    I've seen this first hand and agree with you.

    A few years back I started on a "short term" contract with
    a company in London, UK. The company had some very good
    technically minded business people, but as a whole, the IT
    department was a joke. Shortly after, it was decided to
    outsource the whole of IT to a single third party, for
    which the chosen supplier happened to be based "offshore".
    It was calculated that the upheaval costs would be
    recovered in just 2 years and from then on the
    true "savings" would be realised. However the calculations
    were simply pie in the sky, and were based on *ALL* IT
    related personnel being "outsourced" as well. Naturally
    when the people, business analyst's as well as the
    techies, found out they all left, leaving the company with
    no one with an understanding of the business left to
    support the business! The "offshore" company had no
    business people, only coders which meant that my client
    had to employ expensive contract staff to replace the
    permies who left, as the service agreement with
    the "offshore" company required those type people to be
    supplied to the "offshore" company!

    Anyway, I'm still there on my "short term" contract,
    almost 4 years later and the "offshore" company have been
    booted into touch. Some of the original people have come
    back and a completely new IT structure is now in place
    which is 1000 times better than before. There are rumours
    around that the whole venture wasted £35 million.

    My view is that companies should look inward before
    looking outward when trying to rationalise their IT
    departments, as this is where the real savings can be
    made.

    David

    reducing costs
    >is because they are incompetent at implementing and

    maintaining an IT
    >infrastructure. After all, who is in the best position to

    provide
    >business solutions for 'your' business, you or some

    company down the

    David, Apr 1, 2004

  2. Exactly my point. Yet it continues......

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Apr 5, 2004