Re: Am I doing something wrong? (again!)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Easter, Oct 30, 2010.

  1. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    ~BD~ wrote:
    > This page tells me that a company called Uniblue is a Microsoft 'Gold'
    > Certified Partner
    >
    > http://www.uniblue.com/company/
    >
    > When I click on 'Verify Uniblue details on Microsoft's partner page' I
    > end up here:
    >
    > https://solutionfinder.microsoft.co...px?partnerid=a6fc7830fc1f485b85eac3905162ca2e


    Correct.

    > I cannot find any details of Uniblue :(


    MS has poor search tools.

    > If I search from this Microsoft page https://solutionfinder.microsoft.com/


    That is a good point to start if you use it correctly.

    > I *still* cannot find the connection between Uniblue and Microsoft
    >
    > Please help me to understand why I cannot confirm what Uniblue claim on
    > their web site. TIA.


    https://solutionfinder.microsoft.com/

    says Business Solutions from Microsoft Partners

    put uniblue into the search field and change the filter below so that
    the country says -not relevant- (at the top)

    Then you will get a business solutions result which sez
    No solutions found for your search criteria. Please modify your keywords
    or search values and try again.

    Then change to the tab (which was not available previously) which sez
    Partners (the field will still be populated with uniblue) and wait
    patiently while the slow search engine works

    Then you will get the one result for Uniblue Systems Ltd in Malta


    --
    Mike Easter
     
    Mike Easter, Oct 30, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    ~BD~ wrote:

    > Surely it should be a tad easier than that?!!! ;-)


    It was a silly (unnecessary) project.

    You can tell the uniblue was on a MS page at/from the link at the
    uniblue site.

    You seemed to be confused about such as spoofing and phishing.


    --
    Mike Easter
     
    Mike Easter, Oct 30, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    ~BD~ wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:


    >> You seemed to be confused about such as spoofing and phishing.
    >>
    >>

    >
    > I certainly *am* confused!
    >
    > I'm still awaiting your response in alt.privacy.spyware


    That is a stupid and unrealistic test whose purpose is to promote the
    verisign product. And apparently it is resulting in an aggravation of
    your pre-existing confusion.

    > *That* might help clear things up! :)


    The test is unrealistic because it misrepresents to the reader that the
    information in the browser addressline is going to be identical for the
    true site and the phishing site - in all of the test examples but one
    (or two).

    The typical phish in a spam message body puts the address 'correctly'
    (like the true site) as you see it in rendered html, but the site where
    you actually go is not the 'bank' but to another site.

    There are several features of the test's example screenshots which were
    unrealistic/bogus, such as the status bar showing intranet instead of
    something else such as internet.

    The test was designed to emphasize looking at/ focusing on/ studying/
    the elements of the rendered webpage, which webpage can be made to be
    perfect and gave only one test example in which the addressline was
    useful. That is not the way it actually is.

    The addressline is always useful, unless there is 'something wrong' with
    the way the browser is working, in which case you should use some other
    tool to detemine what is the web address and path where the page or the
    page's frame is actually located.

    That is, any time you are looking at a webpage, you should be able to
    tell correctly where it - the page - is, whether you have been
    redirected or not.

    You can tell that the Portugese SP3 .exe is at a MS page; you can tell
    that the Uniblue credentials are at a MS page.


    --
    Mike Easter
     
    Mike Easter, Oct 30, 2010
    #3
  4. Mike Easter

    Peter Foldes Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > ~BD~ wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:

    >
    >>> You seemed to be confused about such as spoofing and phishing.
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >> I certainly *am* confused!
    >>
    >> I'm still awaiting your response in alt.privacy.spyware

    >
    > That is a stupid and unrealistic test whose purpose is to promote the verisign
    > product. And apparently it is resulting in an aggravation of your pre-existing
    > confusion.
    >
    >> *That* might help clear things up! :)

    >
    > The test is unrealistic because it misrepresents to the reader that the
    > information in the browser addressline is going to be identical for the true site
    > and the phishing site - in all of the test examples but one (or two).
    >
    > The typical phish in a spam message body puts the address 'correctly' (like the
    > true site) as you see it in rendered html, but the site where you actually go is
    > not the 'bank' but to another site.
    >
    > There are several features of the test's example screenshots which were
    > unrealistic/bogus, such as the status bar showing intranet instead of something
    > else such as internet.
    >
    > The test was designed to emphasize looking at/ focusing on/ studying/ the elements
    > of the rendered webpage, which webpage can be made to be perfect and gave only one
    > test example in which the addressline was useful. That is not the way it actually
    > is.
    >
    > The addressline is always useful, unless there is 'something wrong' with the way
    > the browser is working, in which case you should use some other tool to detemine
    > what is the web address and path where the page or the page's frame is actually
    > located.
    >
    > That is, any time you are looking at a webpage, you should be able to tell
    > correctly where it - the page - is, whether you have been redirected or not.
    >
    > You can tell that the Portugese SP3 .exe is at a MS page; you can tell that the
    > Uniblue credentials are at a MS page.
    >
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter



    Verisign has been doing this for a long time. It is their way of Spamming
    (advertising their product ) at least since 1995

    --
    Peter
    Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
    Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect
     
    Peter Foldes, Oct 30, 2010
    #4
  5. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    ~BD~ wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> You can tell that the Portugese SP3 .exe is at a MS page; you can tell
    >> that the Uniblue credentials are at a MS page.
    >>

    >
    > Maybe *you* can - *I* can not! ;-)


    Why not?

    The sp3 came from www.microsoft.com + path; the uniblue cert came from
    solutionfinder.microsoft.com + path.


    --
    Mike Easter
     
    Mike Easter, Oct 30, 2010
    #5
  6. Mike Easter

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 21:34:02 +0100, ~BD~ wrote:

    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >
    >> You can tell that the Portugese SP3 .exe is at a MS page; you can tell
    >> that the Uniblue credentials are at a MS page.
    >>
    >>

    > Maybe *you* can - *I* can not! ;-)


    WTF?????



    --
    "En un lugar de la Mancha, de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme,
    no hace mucho tiempo que vivía un hidalgo de los de lanza en
    astillero, adarga antigua, rocín flaco y galgo corredor."
    -Cervantes, 'Don Quixote'
     
    Aardvark, Oct 30, 2010
    #6
  7. Mike Easter

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 22:14:25 +0100, ~BD~ wrote:

    > The SP3 came from a post in 24hsg


    And what does the SP3 link say between 'www' and '/downloads'?. What does
    that tell you about where the link is taking you? When it takes you there
    and a download window opens and tells you you're downloading a Portuguese
    Win XP SP3 from a microsoft repository, what does *that* tell you?



    --
    "En un lugar de la Mancha, de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme,
    no hace mucho tiempo que vivía un hidalgo de los de lanza en
    astillero, adarga antigua, rocín flaco y galgo corredor."
    -Cervantes, 'Don Quixote'
     
    Aardvark, Oct 30, 2010
    #7
  8. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    ~BD~ wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:


    >> The sp3 came from www.microsoft.com + path; the uniblue cert came from
    >> solutionfinder.microsoft.com + path.
    >>
    >>

    > Ummm! Not so.


    What do you mean?

    > The SP3 came from a post in 24hsg
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4&displayLang=pt-pt


    The URL came from a post, but the location of the URL's target was/is at
    www.microsoft.com + (the rest of the) path.

    Use this protocol: http://
    Go here: www.microsoft.com (which is 65.55.12.249)
    Tell the webserver there that you want (per protocol) www.microsoft.com
    slash downloads slash etc.
    Then the MS webserver will want to hand you the .exe for the .pt sp3.

    > +
    >
    > Uniblue came ........ from the past! :)


    What do you mean?

    The Uniblue site *presently* references:

    https://solutionfinder.microsoft.co...px?partnerid=a6fc7830fc1f485b85eac3905162ca2e


    Use this protocol: https://
    Go here: solutionfinder.microsoft.com (which is 131.107.112.53)
    Tell the webserver there that you want (per protocol)
    solutionfinder.microsoft.com slash Partners slash etc
    Then the MS webserver there will hand you the page with the certificate
    for Uniblue.


    --
    Mike Easter
     
    Mike Easter, Oct 30, 2010
    #8
  9. Mike Easter

    StevieO Guest

    You show beyound a doubt that a sucker is born every day.


    "~BD~" <~BD~@nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message
    news:...


    It wasn't instantaneous. I discussed matters with the Uniblue CEO at the
    time (some years ago now!). I'd been directed to a spoof site previously
    - by guys at U2U!
     
    StevieO, Oct 31, 2010
    #9
  10. Mike Easter

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 12:42:32 +0000, ~BD~ wrote:

    > A Spoofed URL describes one website that poses as another.


    If the URL is in plain text in a plain text medium, it's highly unlikely
    to be spoofed.

    End of topic.



    --
    "En un lugar de la Mancha, de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme,
    no hace mucho tiempo que vivía un hidalgo de los de lanza en
    astillero, adarga antigua, rocín flaco y galgo corredor."
    -Cervantes, 'Don Quixote'
     
    Aardvark, Oct 31, 2010
    #10
  11. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > ~BD~ wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:

    >
    >>> You seemed to be confused about such as spoofing and phishing.


    <re Verisign promotional ad pretending to illustrate phishing attacks>

    > That is a stupid and unrealistic test whose purpose is to promote the
    > verisign product. And apparently it is resulting in an aggravation of
    > your pre-existing confusion.


    > The test is unrealistic because it misrepresents to the reader


    > The test was designed to emphasize looking at/ focusing on/ studying/
    > the elements of the rendered webpage,


    > The addressline is always useful, unless there is 'something wrong' with
    > the way the browser is working,


    > That is, any time you are looking at a webpage, you should be able to
    > tell correctly where it - the page - is, whether you have been
    > redirected or not.


    Here's a cute movie about DNS Cache Poisoning Attack

    http://www.checkpoint.com/defense/advisories/public/dnsvideo/index.html

    That is a much more appropriate/useful illustration than that stupid
    Verisign promotion.

    --
    Mike Easter
     
    Mike Easter, Oct 31, 2010
    #11
  12. Mike Easter

    Peter Foldes Guest

    BD

    PLEASE let this subject go. You are beating a dead horse and it is getting to be a
    pain to see you continue on this NON issue

    --
    Peter
    Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
    Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect
     
    Peter Foldes, Oct 31, 2010
    #12
  13. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    ~BD~ wrote:

    > I'd rather you had commented on *this* part:
    >
    > "'Someone'? on U2U directed me to a spoof Uniblue web site.


    This comment lacks specificity.

    That is, the way you report it, we cannot even see what was posted on
    U2U and we cannot see what the Uniblue link was.

    All we actually know is the current listing on MS for Uniblue in Malta.

    This is the Uniblue I am talking about http://www.uniblue.com/
    Uniblue's Head Office
    Orange Point
    Dun Karm Street
    B'Kara By-Pass
    Birkirkara BKR9037
    Malta
    European Union

    > I chatted
    > the their CEO about it!


    I have no idea why you would do that or what the significance of your
    doing that is.

    > Does anyone (else) reading here know anything about Uniblue? Good or bad?


    There is a writeup in the wiki about one of their apps for MS

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniblue_Powersuite Uniblue Powersuite is a
    utility software suite for Microsoft Windows supposedly designed to
    increase its performance, fix its problems and customize different
    aspects of it and clean up the computer system. It is developed by
    Uniblue Systems. This software contains three separate softwares namely:
    SpeedUpMyPC, DriverScanner and RegistryBooster.


    --
    Mike Easter
     
    Mike Easter, Oct 31, 2010
    #13
  14. Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 31, 2010
    #14
  15. Mike Easter

    floffy2 Guest

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 15:58:43 -0400, :

    >Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >> .. It is developed by Uniblue Systems. This software contains three
    >> separate softwares namely: SpeedUpMyPC, DriverScanner and
    >> RegistryBooster.


    Do not buy anything
    it's just to make money it does nothing



    -------------------------------------------------
    Free to read usenet
    news://news.mccarragher.com
     
    floffy2, Oct 31, 2010
    #15
  16. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    ~BD~ wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:


    >> This is the Uniblue I am talking about http://www.uniblue.com/
    >> Uniblue's Head Office
    >> Orange Point
    >> Dun Karm Street
    >> B'Kara By-Pass
    >> Birkirkara BKR9037
    >> Malta
    >> European Union

    >
    > I tried may times to find that address using Google Maps


    Here's a pic of their building in the 2009 Sep Malta Times
    http://bit.ly/FUsTC Uniblue has settled into Orange Point, its recently
    completed custom-designed headquarters on Dun Karm Street, Birkirkara

    >> Uniblue Systems. This software contains three separate softwares namely:
    >> SpeedUpMyPC, DriverScanner and RegistryBooster.


    > I find it odd that such a company *is* partnered with Microsoft.


    Partnering is a glorified term for much of nothing except being put onto
    a list which serves a foggy purpose.



    --
    Mike Easter
     
    Mike Easter, Oct 31, 2010
    #16
  17. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >> .. It is developed by Uniblue Systems. This software contains three
    >> separate softwares namely: SpeedUpMyPC, DriverScanner and
    >> RegistryBooster.

    >
    > Speedupmypc? Is that one of those scam programs from the TV commercials?
    >
    > http://www.uniblue.com/software/speedupmypc/


    Here're two reviews for speedupmypc. One of them is mixed and the other
    which is a more extensive review is favorable.

    The mixed review was negative on a PC that had no problems and more
    positive on one which was slow.

    The extensive 4 page review was both extensive - lots of screenshots -
    and favorable.

    http://www.kickstartnews.com/reviews/utilities/speed_up_my_pc.html

    http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/uniblue_speedupmypc_2010/
    Uniblue SpeedUpMyPC 2010 Review May 11, 2010

    --
    Mike Easter
     
    Mike Easter, Oct 31, 2010
    #17
  18. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:


    >> Speedupmypc?


    > Here're two reviews for speedupmypc. One of them is mixed and the other
    > which is a more extensive review is favorable.


    Here's a recent comparison/ranking^1 of 14 PC System Utilities in which
    all 14 had overall ratings of 4/4 excellent down to 3/4 very good with
    separate ratings for 5 different criteria.

    The uniblue suite which contains speedupmypc was listed as #11 at 3/4
    very good but 1.5/4 fair to good for optimization.

    The reviewers analysis of the suite is here^2 in which his summary sez
    "If you are looking to keep your system running clean and fast, Uniblue
    PowerSuite is a great option. It includes spyware protection as well as
    offering a host of applications to help keep your PC clean and running
    fast. This PC utility is easy to use and comes with good support.
    However, even with the features of three distinct programs, this system
    utility didn't pack as many features as some of the other utilities
    software we reviewed. You may want to compare Uniblue PowerSuite with
    some of the other high ranked system utilities."

    There are too many over-hyped system utilities. I think it is a
    legitimate field for developers and Uniblue is making a lot of money
    doing it, according to the Malta times article about their growth.

    ^1 http://pc-system-utilities-software-review.toptenreviews.com/index.html

    ^2
    http://pc-system-utilities-software-review.toptenreviews.com/powersuite-review.html


    --
    Mike Easter
     
    Mike Easter, Oct 31, 2010
    #18
  19. Mike Easter

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 18:20:38 +0000, ~BD~ wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:
    >> On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 12:42:32 +0000, ~BD~ wrote:
    >>
    >>> A Spoofed URL describes one website that poses as another.

    >>
    >> If the URL is in plain text in a plain text medium, it's highly
    >> unlikely to be spoofed.
    >>
    >> End of topic.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>

    > I'd rather you had commented on *this* part:
    >


    OK.

    > "'Someone'? on U2U directed me to a spoof Uniblue web site.


    Really?

    > I chatted
    > the their CEO about it!
    >


    Why?

    > Interestingly, Dustin Cook said on SE that it's a *bad* company. Hardly
    > likely to be partnered with Microsoft! I'll go and look for the
    > reference!"
    >
    >
    > Does anyone (else) reading here know anything about Uniblue? Good or
    > bad?






    --
    "En un lugar de la Mancha, de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme,
    no hace mucho tiempo que vivía un hidalgo de los de lanza en
    astillero, adarga antigua, rocín flaco y galgo corredor."
    -Cervantes, 'Don Quixote'
     
    Aardvark, Nov 1, 2010
    #19
  20. Mike Easter

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 20:28:21 +0000, ~BD~ wrote:

    >> Uniblue's Head Office
    >> Orange Point
    >> Dun Karm Street
    >> B'Kara By-Pass
    >> Birkirkara BKR9037
    >> Malta
    >> European Union

    >
    > I tried may times to find that address using Google Maps - without
    > success I might add.


    Either you didn't search as hard as you'd have us believe, or your
    searching skills are nothing short of abysmal. I found the location in
    less than a minute:

    35 deg 54 min 10.55 sec N, 14 deg 28 min 03.65 E.

    > I scoured their web site and can find no 'phone
    > number either (I once read that was a *bad* sign!)


    I should think that if I could be arsed to waste another five minutes, I
    could find a phone number, but life's far too short.



    --
    "En un lugar de la Mancha, de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme,
    no hace mucho tiempo que vivía un hidalgo de los de lanza en
    astillero, adarga antigua, rocín flaco y galgo corredor."
    -Cervantes, 'Don Quixote'
     
    Aardvark, Nov 1, 2010
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Mark M
    Replies:
    14
    Views:
    657
    Dragan Cvetkovic
    Aug 20, 2003
  2. Tory Brown
    Replies:
    45
    Views:
    1,780
    Tory Brown
    Jun 5, 2005
  3. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    424
  4. I'm A Trampoline
    Replies:
    20
    Views:
    904
    Jamie Walker
    Feb 3, 2006
  5. Peter Foldes

    Re: Am I doing something wrong? (again!)

    Peter Foldes, Oct 30, 2010, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    395
    Peter Foldes
    Oct 30, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page