Re: am I breaching copyright?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Will, Aug 17, 2003.

  1. Will

    Will Guest

    "buck" <> wrote in message
    |However, the law makes it illegal to OWN/SELL/USE/or HAVE any device
    the purpose of which |is
    |to defeat the copy protection on any digital media. This would NOT be
    a copyright violation,
    |rather it would be simply a violation of Federal (US)criminal code.

    What a bs rule! That won't last. Soon as the current generation comes
    into power, bye bye laws written by corporations.
    Will, Aug 17, 2003

  2. Will

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Will wrote:
    > "buck" <> wrote in message
    > |However, the law makes it illegal to OWN/SELL/USE/or HAVE any device
    > the purpose of which |is
    > |to defeat the copy protection on any digital media. This would NOT be
    > a copyright violation,
    > |rather it would be simply a violation of Federal (US)criminal code.
    >
    > What a bs rule! That won't last. Soon as the current generation comes
    > into power, bye bye laws written by corporations.

    When the current generation comes into power, they will be running the
    corporations.

    dick
    Dick Sidbury, Aug 17, 2003

  3. Will

    Stan Brown Guest

    In article <bhmh8o$elf$> in alt.video.dvd,
    Will <> wrote:
    >"buck" <> wrote in message
    >|However, the law makes it illegal to OWN/SELL/USE/or HAVE any device
    >the purpose of which |is
    >|to defeat the copy protection on any digital media. This would NOT be
    >a copyright violation,
    >|rather it would be simply a violation of Federal (US)criminal code.
    >
    >What a bs rule! That won't last. Soon as the current generation comes
    >into power, bye bye laws written by corporations.

    Yeah, right. Corporations will magically stop buying politicians.

    Wanna buy a bridge?

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Stan Brown, Aug 17, 2003
  4. Will

    Stan Brown Guest

    In article <bhmntr$jc7$> in alt.video.dvd,
    RAKE <> wrote:
    >The DMCA is a mass of contradictory and conflicting components. Much of it
    >is still being tested in the courts.

    Agreed.

    But whoever thought things would be better under "the next
    generation" is either naive or stupid (or both). The problem with
    the DMCA, like UCITA and other bad laws, is that it serves the
    interests of the big corporations that paid for it by buying the
    politicians.(*) That ain't gonna change in the next generation,
    because the next generation is just as greedy and short-sighted as
    the generation now running corporations, if not more so.

    If you want laws that favor the people, you have to get corporations
    out of the business of legislation. I have no idea at all how to do
    that.

    (*) I don't mean outright bribery, though I'm sure that happens. I
    mean massive campaign contributions, without which virtually no one
    can get elected to Congress.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Stan Brown, Aug 17, 2003