Re: Am I being watched/hacked?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Tracker, Aug 6, 2003.

  1. Tracker

    Tracker Guest

    Mark wrote:

    > I use XP Pro (all latest updates) and AOL 8.0 on a USB
    > broadband modem (Globalspan WAN USB Adaptor)
    >
    > I noticed when trying to sort out a completely different
    > issue that in the registry subkey
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\RAS_AUTODIAL\ADRESSES
    >
    > it was logging every single ip/web address that I had
    > connected to. This meant that my registry file was VAST.
    >
    > I deleted the entire adresses subkey and rebooted and it
    > recreated it and started logging again.
    >
    > None of my friends who use XP Pro have had a similar
    > thing happen, so does anyone know what's causing it, or
    > why it's doing it??
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Mark
    > .

    RAS stands for Remote Access Server and Microsoft doesn't install this
    by default. It sounds like your computer is hacked/owned by malicious
    hackers. If you didn't disable the services Microsoft installs by
    default, installed your application by CD-ROM only, installed a firewall
    and anti-virus application before your computer went on the internet,
    your computer is hacked.

    Tracker
    I know how important it is for me not to define myself by how others
    perceive me.

    Interested in purchasing my book named "Security Minds versus Malicious
    Minds" visit:
    www.securityminds2003.com
    It will teach you to learn about Windows, the Internet and Hacking

    To view some kick butt artwork, visit:
    http://www.captiveimagery.com/index.cfm

    Tracker, Aug 6, 2003

  2. Tracker

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 10:10:25 +0400, Tracker
    <"snailmail(remove)222000"@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >RAS stands for Remote Access Server and Microsoft doesn't install this
    >by default. It sounds like your computer is hacked/owned by malicious
    >hackers

    Nonsense, its installed for dial up networking ...

    GENERAL COMPUTER HEALTH WARNING
    -------------------------------

    Any advice from a poster using the word 'tracker' may contain
    dangerous nonsense and should be immediately deleted from your
    computer.

    Do NOT contact this person by email

    Do NOT feed the Trolls, one warning is enough, further messages
    only reinforce the desire for attention that provides motivation.

    Visit the fan club at:
    http://www.sand-n-sea.us/debbiesdrival.htm

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Aug 6, 2003

  3. Tracker

    Chuck Guest

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 10:10:25 +0400, Tracker
    <"snailmail(remove)222000"@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Mark wrote:
    >
    >> I use XP Pro (all latest updates) and AOL 8.0 on a USB
    >> broadband modem (Globalspan WAN USB Adaptor)
    >>
    >> I noticed when trying to sort out a completely different
    >> issue that in the registry subkey
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\RAS_AUTODIAL\ADRESSES
    >>
    >> it was logging every single ip/web address that I had
    >> connected to. This meant that my registry file was VAST.
    >>
    >> I deleted the entire adresses subkey and rebooted and it
    >> recreated it and started logging again.
    >>
    >> None of my friends who use XP Pro have had a similar
    >> thing happen, so does anyone know what's causing it, or
    >> why it's doing it??
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Mark
    >> .

    <spam>
    <drivel>
    >SNIP<
    >Interested in purchasing my book named "Security Minds versus Malicious
    >Minds" visit:
    >www.securityminds2003.com
    >It will teach you to learn about Windows, the Internet and Hacking

    </drivel>
    <advertising>
    >To view some kick butt artwork, visit:
    >http://www.captiveimagery.com/index.cfm

    </advertising>
    </spam>

    Chuck Croll

    Spam sucks - PLEASE get rid of the spam before emailing me!
    Trusted Computing? Right! http://www.againsttcpa.com/
    WHAT IS THE CBDTPA? http://www.stoppoliceware.org/

    Chuck, Aug 8, 2003