Re: ALSA & Audigy2 vs newbie

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by kool kate, Oct 22, 2005.

  1. kool kate

    kool kate Guest

    On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:57:51 -0400, Charles philip Chan wrote:

    > On 21 Oct 2005, wrote:
    >
    >> But now I have a new problem....whenever I start KDE, my PCM volume is
    >> at 100% until I play an mp3 in amaroK, then it lowers the PCM volume
    >> to 0. What gives? Regardless of whether I double-click an mp3 or have
    >> it load from the playlist, I need to manually reset the PCM volume
    >> back to 100% in KMix for each mp3 that is played. Any suggestions?

    > You must be using the Helix engine (there is a bug). You should either:
    >
    > (1) change it in Amarok to something else. The recommended engine
    > for Amarok is gstreamer.
    >
    > or
    >
    > (2) Update to Amarok >= 1.3.2. Apparently it is in the SUSE 10.1
    > repository.
    >
    > Charles

    Linux sure seems to have a lot of bugs.
    Why can't he use ALSA with Amarok?
    Isn't ALSA supposed to be the official sound system for Linux or do we now
    have yet another soundsystem to contend with?

    --
    kool kat
    Kill the doggzz reply.
    kool kate, Oct 22, 2005

  2. kool kate

    John Bailo Guest

    John Bailo, Oct 22, 2005

  3. On 22 Oct 2005, wrote:

    > Linux sure seems to have a lot of bugs.
    > Why can't he use ALSA with Amarok?
    > Isn't ALSA supposed to be the official sound system for Linux or do we now
    > have yet another soundsystem to contend with?

    Huh, I never said anything about soundsystem. Helix is not a
    soundsystem- it is a play engine (Open Sourced Real Player). Amarok is
    capable of using several play engines including: gstreamer, aRts, akode,
    xine, and helix. All of the above engines are fully capable of using
    ALSA, OSS, esd, jacked, etc for output. The Helix support is new and all
    the bugs haven't been ironed out yet.

    Charles

    --
    The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple. After that, it's all learned.
    (Bruce Ediger, , in comp.os.linux.misc, on X interfaces..)

    Charles philip Chan, Oct 22, 2005