Re: Allowing Skype Install Corporate Network

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Bodincus, Feb 15, 2010.

  1. Bodincus

    Bodincus Guest

    > Hi all

    Hi Phil

    prepare for a ride...

    > What are the dangers associated with installing Skype software on a PC
    > connected to a corporate domain?

    Multiple and severe.

    > Previously I have heard scare stories about servers being hijacked and used
    > as supernodes.

    No, it's not "hijacking" per se, but if you are not experienced and
    skilled enough to handle this (and given you are asking these questions,
    I gather you are not) PLEASE DON'T, for the sake of the company you plan
    to do this for (or against?).

    > Does opening up the company firewall to allow this communication pose a
    > threat to the general corporate security?

    That is always true, any open port is a threat.
    Skype doesn't use predefined TCP/UDP ports for its traffic, you can't
    "open ports for Skype". It's made to self-adapt and cross routers, NAT
    devices and firewalls. In fact, you can't STOP it from crossing your
    firewall: you need DPI (Deep Packet Inspection) to determine that that
    specific traffic IS from Skype, it's on a different ISO/OSI level than
    most firewalls work onto.
    Again, your level of knowledge is consistently low so I won't recommend
    you to adventure in such minefields.

    > Any other gotchas?

    Skype is NOT an application that should run though a corporate network.
    It's a simple basic tool to allow private individuals to have basic
    conversations through their PCs.

    If you are after business grade communication, Skype is NOT suitable.

    Please refer to to start your journey.

    Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
    Law 42 on computing:
    Anything that could fail, will break at the worst possible mom%*= ?@@