Re: Allowing Skype Install Corporate Network

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Bodincus, Feb 15, 2010.

  1. Bodincus

    Bodincus Guest

    TheScullster:
    > Hi all

    Hi Phil

    prepare for a ride...

    > What are the dangers associated with installing Skype software on a PC
    > connected to a corporate domain?

    Multiple and severe.

    > Previously I have heard scare stories about servers being hijacked and used
    > as supernodes.

    No, it's not "hijacking" per se, but if you are not experienced and
    skilled enough to handle this (and given you are asking these questions,
    I gather you are not) PLEASE DON'T, for the sake of the company you plan
    to do this for (or against?).

    > Does opening up the company firewall to allow this communication pose a
    > threat to the general corporate security?

    That is always true, any open port is a threat.
    Skype doesn't use predefined TCP/UDP ports for its traffic, you can't
    "open ports for Skype". It's made to self-adapt and cross routers, NAT
    devices and firewalls. In fact, you can't STOP it from crossing your
    firewall: you need DPI (Deep Packet Inspection) to determine that that
    specific traffic IS from Skype, it's on a different ISO/OSI level than
    most firewalls work onto.
    Again, your level of knowledge is consistently low so I won't recommend
    you to adventure in such minefields.

    > Any other gotchas?

    Skype is NOT an application that should run though a corporate network.
    It's a simple basic tool to allow private individuals to have basic
    conversations through their PCs.

    If you are after business grade communication, Skype is NOT suitable.

    Please refer to http://www.voip-info.org to start your journey.

    --
    Bodincus - The Y2K Druid

    Bodincus, Feb 15, 2010