Re: All the Lunix users, have you got you License..?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by GraB, Aug 6, 2003.

  1. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 14:32:03 +1200, Robert Mathews
    <> wrote:

    >Lunix is no longer free.
    >

    >"SCO will be offering an introductory license price of $699 for a single CPU
    >system through October 15th, 2003. Pricing for multiple CPU systems, single
    >CPU add-ons, desktop systems and embedded systems will also be available.
    >Linux users who are interested in additional information or purchasing an IP
    >License for Linux should contact their local SCO sales representative or call
    >SCO at 1-800-726-8649 or visit our web site."
    >

    >Time to move on to the Cheaper MS stuff.

    What does Linux Torvalds say on all the SCO stuff?

    GraB, Aug 6, 2003

  2. GraB

    T.N.O Guest

    "GraB" wrote
    | What does Linux Torvalds say on all the SCO stuff?

    errr, Linus... not Linux :)

    T.N.O, Aug 6, 2003

  3. GraB

    lily Guest

    lily, Aug 6, 2003
  4. GraB

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <>,
    GraB <> wrote:

    > What does Linux Torvalds say on all the SCO stuff?

    He said something that made me laugh... I can't find it anymore but it
    something along the lines of comparing the entire fiasco to a Jerry
    Springer show. Someone might be able to post a link here for it.

    --
    madknoxie

    madknoxie, Aug 6, 2003
  5. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 17:55:41 +1200, "T.N.O" <> wrote:

    >"GraB" wrote
    >| What does Linux Torvalds say on all the SCO stuff?
    >
    >errr, Linus... not Linux :)

    Yes, I know, that was just a coincidental typo.

    GraB, Aug 6, 2003
  6. In article <>, madknoxie <> wrote:
    >In article <>,
    > GraB <> wrote:
    >
    >> What does Linux Torvalds say on all the SCO stuff?

    >He said something that made me laugh... I can't find it anymore but it
    >something along the lines of comparing the entire fiasco to a Jerry
    >Springer show. Someone might be able to post a link here for it.

    http://www.computerworld.
    com/softwaretopics/os/linux/story/0,10801,81695,00.html

    The exact quote is: "Quite frankly, I found it mostly interesting in a
    'Jerry Springer' kind of way. White trash battling it out in public,
    throwing chairs at each other. SCO crying about IBM's other women. ...
    Fairly entertaining,"

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

    Matthew Poole, Aug 6, 2003
  7. GraB

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <Mu5Ya.9588$>,
    says...
    > GraB allegedly said:
    >
    > > What does Linux Torvalds say on all the SCO stuff?

    > He says it's shit.
    >
    > SCO released linux source code under the GPL...and under the GPL, you can't
    > take it back.
    >
    > This is nothing more than a Microsoft-funded FUD campaign against Linux.
    > They worked on a deal for months - MS inked it and handed over the cash -
    > and within days SCO was raising Hell.

    Says who?

    Mainlander, Aug 7, 2003
  8. GraB

    Jay Guest

    Mainlander wrote:

    > In article <Mu5Ya.9588$>,
    > says...
    >> GraB allegedly said:
    >>
    >> > What does Linux Torvalds say on all the SCO stuff?

    >> He says it's shit.
    >>
    >> SCO released linux source code under the GPL...and under the GPL, you
    >> can't take it back.
    >>
    >> This is nothing more than a Microsoft-funded FUD campaign against Linux.
    >> They worked on a deal for months - MS inked it and handed over the cash -
    >> and within days SCO was raising Hell.

    > Says who?

    SCO and Microsoft.

    Jay, Aug 7, 2003
  9. GraB

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <bgsqtn$s3vvi$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > Mainlander wrote:
    >
    > > In article <Mu5Ya.9588$>,
    > > says...

    > >> He says it's shit.
    > >>
    > >> SCO released linux source code under the GPL...and under the GPL, you
    > >> can't take it back.
    > >>
    > >> This is nothing more than a Microsoft-funded FUD campaign against Linux.
    > >> They worked on a deal for months - MS inked it and handed over the cash -
    > >> and within days SCO was raising Hell.

    > > Says who?

    > SCO and Microsoft.

    Give some references.

    Mainlander, Aug 7, 2003
  10. GraB

    T.N.O Guest

    "Jay" wrote
    | >> This is nothing more than a Microsoft-funded FUD campaign against
    Linux.

    | > Says who?

    | SCO and Microsoft.

    errr, I doubt it.

    T.N.O, Aug 7, 2003
  11. On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 16:45:02 +1200, Mainlander wrote:

    > In article <Mu5Ya.9588$>,
    > says...
    >> GraB allegedly said:
    >>
    >> > What does Linux Torvalds say on all the SCO stuff?

    >> He says it's shit.
    >>
    >> SCO released linux source code under the GPL...and under the GPL, you
    >> can't take it back.
    >>
    >> This is nothing more than a Microsoft-funded FUD campaign against
    >> Linux. They worked on a deal for months - MS inked it and handed over
    >> the cash - and within days SCO was raising Hell.

    > Says who?

    You haven't been following thise closely, have you.

    Microsoft have made it their mission, this year, to undermine and smear
    Open Source.

    They can't compete on product and price - they have to play dirty.

    That's why they were convicted of anti-trust violations in the US and are
    soon the penalised in Europe as well.

    They have a LONG history of fighting dirty.

    http://news.com.com/2100-1016-1007528.html?tag=nl

    May 18th, 2003

    Microsoft's public disdain of Linux stretches back more than two years.

    In March 2001, Microsoft Senior Vice President Craig Mundie said releasing
    source code into the public domain is "unhealthy," causes security risks
    and "as history has shown, while this type of model may have a place, it
    isn't successful in building a mass market and making powerful,
    easy-to-use software broadly accessible to consumers."

    A few months later, in an interview with CNET News.com, Microsoft Chairman
    Bill Gates sought to warn corporate users about the GNU General Public
    License, which Linux is distributed under. "Some of our source codes are
    out there and very available, like Windows CE," Gates said. "Some
    generally require a license, like Windows itself. We have no objection to
    free software, which has been around forever. But we do think there are
    problems for commercial users relative to the GPL, and we are just making
    sure people understand the GPL.

    "Unfortunately, that has been misconstrued in many ways. It's a topic that
    you can leap on and say, 'Microsoft doesn't make free software.' Hey, we
    have free software; the world will always have free software. I mean, if
    you characterize it that way, that's not right. But if you say to people,
    'Do you understand the GPL?' And they'll say, 'Huh?' And they're pretty
    stunned when the Pac-Man-like nature of it is described to them."

    May 24th, 2003

    CNET | NEWS.COM WEEK IN REVIEW
    The Entire Tech Week in a Single E-mail May 24, 2003

    Microsoft surprised the tech world by agreeing to license cash-strapped
    SCO Group's Unix technology, which is at the heart of a copyright fight
    over Linux.

    The software giant announced that it will license SCO's Unix patents and
    the source code, which is at the heart of a $1 billion lawsuit between SCO
    and IBM. Big Blue, which is a major backer of Linux as an open-source
    alternative to Microsoft's Windows, has dismissed SCO's claims and says it
    has a valid license to Unix technology.

    Microsoft has repeatedly labeled Linux as a threat, partly because of its
    low cost. The license ensures that Microsoft's software complies with
    SCO's intellectual-property rights and that the company can ensure
    compatibility with Unix software, according to a Microsoft representative.

    The licensing agreement lends heavyweight backing to SCO's
    intellectual-property claims and helps Microsoft combat Linux, a growing
    marketplace threat to its operating system. The deal also appears to lend
    credence to SCO's charges that large parts of Unix source code have been
    copied into Linux. Microsoft's move may have a snowball effect, causing
    other companies to also strike licensing pacts with SCO.

    The general manager of SCO's intellectual-property division said that the
    Microsoft licensing agreement reflects the strength of its
    intellectual-property suit against IBM. Other industry experts said the
    Microsoft deal might be more notable for its public relations value. "The
    announcement really serves two purposes," one analyst said. "First, it
    temporarily allows Microsoft to steal the moral higher ground from its
    Linux competitors; and second, it's a big fork in the eye to IBM."

    June 5th, 2003

    C-Net News

    If there was any lingering doubt about how a lousy economy is doing
    wonders for open source, Ballmer's latest distillation of the thinking of
    Microsoft's senior leadership clears it up, suggesting that Linux has
    transmogrified from a mere annoyance to a major pain in the posterior. By
    comparison, consider last year's missive, in which Ballmer focused on
    everything but Linux and open source. This year, the first references
    appeared in the seventh paragraph of a nine-page document.

    Now that he's got it down on paper, Ballmer needs to convince customers
    that "integrated innovation" from Microsoft trumps the grab bag offered up
    by the community software model. That, at least, used to be the
    conventional wisdom when the penguinistas got started. A lot has changed
    since then.

    Charlie Cooper, Executive Editor/Commentary

    Theodor Adorno, Aug 7, 2003
  12. GraB

    Jay Guest

    www.microsoft.com
    www.sco.com

    Jay, Aug 7, 2003
  13. GraB

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <bgt8ed$sc3lt$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > Mainlander wrote:
    >
    > > In article <bgsqtn$s3vvi$-berlin.de>,
    > > says...

    > >> SCO and Microsoft.

    > > Give some references.

    > www.microsoft.com
    > www.sco.com

    Can't see anything on these pages.

    Quote some web sites that mention these thing, put up or shut up.

    Mainlander, Aug 9, 2003
  14. GraB

    Jay Guest

    Mainlander wrote:

    > In article <bgt8ed$sc3lt$-berlin.de>,
    > says...
    >> Mainlander wrote:
    >>
    >> > In article <bgsqtn$s3vvi$-berlin.de>,
    >> > says...

    >> > Give some references.

    >> www.microsoft.com
    >> www.sco.com

    > Can't see anything on these pages.
    >
    > Quote some web sites that mention these thing, put up or shut up.

    You obviously didn't read the SCO press releases.

    Jay, Aug 9, 2003
  15. GraB

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <bh1sd9$u0l2m$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > Mainlander wrote:
    >
    > > In article <bgt8ed$sc3lt$-berlin.de>,
    > > says...

    > >> www.microsoft.com
    > >> www.sco.com

    > > Can't see anything on these pages.
    > >
    > > Quote some web sites that mention these thing, put up or shut up.

    > You obviously didn't read the SCO press releases.

    Give some URLs to them.

    Mainlander, Aug 9, 2003