Re: All-in-one-Printer (win 98se)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Jul 10, 2008.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "John Bartlett" typed:
    > Hi all
    >
    > My father (75) has been learning to use a Win 98se PC and would like
    > to know where he can buy a multi-function printer, scanner, copier
    > etc. that will work with Win98 - all the ones he's looked at only
    > seem to support XP and later. Mind you that was at Noel Leeming etc.
    >
    > If anyone knows which of the current entry level multi functions for
    > sale, Canon, HP, Epson, Brother or whatever that do work with Win 98,
    > please let me know.

    Hi John,

    :-(

    I don't yhink you'll have much luck. I bought two Canon Pixma MP210's when
    they were being sold as clearance (~$100) at the beginning of the year and
    still have one in the box, unopened. I just checked Canon's website and even
    that (old model) doesn't support 98 or I was going to offer it to you.
    (Great machine that I got basically for the price of the carts so bought
    second one.)

    Good luck,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 10, 2008

  2. ~misfit~

    Ross Guest

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 10:28:13 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Somewhere on teh intarweb "John Bartlett" typed:
    >> Hi all
    >>
    >> My father (75) has been learning to use a Win 98se PC and would like
    >> to know where he can buy a multi-function printer, scanner, copier
    >> etc. that will work with Win98 - all the ones he's looked at only
    >> seem to support XP and later. Mind you that was at Noel Leeming etc.
    >>
    >> If anyone knows which of the current entry level multi functions for
    >> sale, Canon, HP, Epson, Brother or whatever that do work with Win 98,
    >> please let me know.

    >Hi John,
    >
    >:-(
    >
    >I don't yhink you'll have much luck. I bought two Canon Pixma MP210's when
    >they were being sold as clearance (~$100) at the beginning of the year and
    >still have one in the box, unopened. I just checked Canon's website and even
    >that (old model) doesn't support 98 or I was going to offer it to you.
    >(Great machine that I got basically for the price of the carts so bought
    >second one.)
    >
    >Good luck,

    Might have to go for separate printer & scanner then.
    My Pixma IP1600 worked on Win98se.
    I changed to XP a month ago and still use that printer.

    Ross, Jul 11, 2008

  3. In article <48768cfd$>, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >Somewhere on teh intarweb "John Bartlett" typed:
    >> Hi all
    >>
    >> My father (75) has been learning to use a Win 98se PC and would like
    >> to know where he can buy a multi-function printer, scanner, copier
    >> etc. that will work with Win98 - all the ones he's looked at only
    >> seem to support XP and later. Mind you that was at Noel Leeming etc.
    >>
    >> If anyone knows which of the current entry level multi functions for
    >> sale, Canon, HP, Epson, Brother or whatever that do work with Win 98,
    >> please let me know.

    >Hi John,
    >
    >:-(
    >
    >I don't yhink you'll have much luck. I bought two Canon Pixma MP210's when
    >they were being sold as clearance (~$100) at the beginning of the year and
    >still have one in the box, unopened. I just checked Canon's website and even
    >that (old model) doesn't support 98 or I was going to offer it to you.
    >(Great machine that I got basically for the price of the carts so bought
    >second one.)

    You may be able to simply redirect the printer/scanner functions to the same
    device ? What windows doesn't know can't hurt it ? That said, I guess you
    will need drivers. No idea at that point :)

    Copiers work even disconnected from puters so that aint a problem. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 14, 2008
  4. ~misfit~

    Dave Taylor Guest

    John Bartlett <jb@.nospam.nz.net> wrote in news::

    > Thanks everyone for your emails etc. - he's opted to buy a whole new
    > system and ditch the win 98 one....
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > JB

    So now if he gets XP you can lock him down with LUA. Make his autologon
    user just a user, not admin.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jul 16, 2008