Re: "Alien" makes Ebert's "Great Movies" list

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Newsgroup Poster, Nov 6, 2003.

  1. "rms" <> wrote in message news:<lPynb.21303$>...

    > <SNIP>
    >

    > This phenomenon is also why I haven't bought a dvd player yet. The
    > major local video rental places only carry the newest titles on dvd, while
    > older vhs titles tend to languish and not be replaced when they wear out.
    > So my impression is that, during this transition period from vhs, classic
    > titles are getting *more* difficult to find locally on either medium, not
    > *less* difficult.

    Interesting idea...there certainly aren't as many non-mainstream
    cinema on DVD as even a pedestrian layperson like myself should
    like....

    > Another twist to this is that dvds apparently have quite a high failure
    > rate compared to vhs tapes.

    ***THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I'VE BEEN BITCHING ABOUT FOR TWO YEARS!!!!!***

    I've had FIVE stand-alone (that is, not connected to a computer)
    players FAIL on me within TWO years!! Sony, Panny, JVC, Zenith, it
    don't matter the brand (they were within the $350-$100 range)...and it
    ain't 'cause I subject them to humidity/dust/power spikes/etc.

    > Whether this is due to immature hardware or
    > what I couldn't say, but what effect will this have on the future
    > availability of dvd titles ?

    Sad to say, nobody else seems to think the short life-span of your
    typical DVD player is a legitimate consumer issue/gripe.

    The discs themselves are doing strong, with titles coming out all the
    time. I remember the early days when it was like twenty titles a
    month if lucky.

    It really says something when the manufacturers' warranties are only
    good for three months nowadays on practically all models.

    Newsgroup Poster, Nov 6, 2003

  2. Newsgroup Poster

    Justin Guest

    Newsgroup Poster wrote on [6 Nov 2003 10:16:54 -0800]:
    > "rms" <> wrote in message news:<lPynb.21303$>...
    >> Another twist to this is that dvds apparently have quite a high failure
    >> rate compared to vhs tapes.

    > ***THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I'VE BEEN BITCHING ABOUT FOR TWO YEARS!!!!!***
    >
    > I've had FIVE stand-alone (that is, not connected to a computer)
    > players FAIL on me within TWO years!! Sony, Panny, JVC, Zenith, it
    > don't matter the brand (they were within the $350-$100 range)...and it
    > ain't 'cause I subject them to humidity/dust/power spikes/etc.

    He's complaining about the discs themselves

    >> Whether this is due to immature hardware or
    >> what I couldn't say, but what effect will this have on the future
    >> availability of dvd titles ?

    > Sad to say, nobody else seems to think the short life-span of your
    > typical DVD player is a legitimate consumer issue/gripe.
    >
    > The discs themselves are doing strong, with titles coming out all the
    > time. I remember the early days when it was like twenty titles a
    > month if lucky.

    Yes, but what is the longevity of a disc? My Heathers DVD failed within
    weeks of getting it. Sure, they replaced it, but should I test every DVD
    once a month to see if it works?

    > It really says something when the manufacturers' warranties are only
    > good for three months nowadays on practically all models.

    That's the same as most things these days

    Hell, Hard Drives only have a year warranty anymore, and they contain a
    lot of important stuff

    Justin, Nov 6, 2003

  3. On 6 Nov 2003 10:16:54 -0800, (Newsgroup Poster)
    wrote:

    >"rms" <> wrote in message news:<lPynb.21303$>...
    >>
    >> <SNIP>
    >>

    >> This phenomenon is also why I haven't bought a dvd player yet. The
    >> major local video rental places only carry the newest titles on dvd, while
    >> older vhs titles tend to languish and not be replaced when they wear out.
    >> So my impression is that, during this transition period from vhs, classic
    >> titles are getting *more* difficult to find locally on either medium, not
    >> *less* difficult.

    >Interesting idea...there certainly aren't as many non-mainstream
    >cinema on DVD as even a pedestrian layperson like myself should
    >like....
    >
    >> Another twist to this is that dvds apparently have quite a high failure
    >> rate compared to vhs tapes.

    >***THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I'VE BEEN BITCHING ABOUT FOR TWO YEARS!!!!!***
    >
    >I've had FIVE stand-alone (that is, not connected to a computer)
    >players FAIL on me within TWO years!! Sony, Panny, JVC, Zenith, it
    >don't matter the brand (they were within the $350-$100 range)...and it
    >ain't 'cause I subject them to humidity/dust/power spikes/etc.

    but your anecdotal evidence is just that, anecdotal. My experience is
    just the opposite, I have 4 DVD players, the first one, a Sony from
    1997. The others include a 3 year old Toshiba, a 3 year old JVC (1st
    generation DVD-A player) and a 6 month old Denon, all have had heavy
    use, and all are still working (although the JVC did need a software
    upgrade, under warranty). Your anecdotal evidence and mine both prove
    exactly the same thing, nothing.

    The real question is what is the actual failure rate over all DVD
    players. I suspect not near as high as you seem to think.

    >> Whether this is due to immature hardware or
    >> what I couldn't say, but what effect will this have on the future
    >> availability of dvd titles ?

    >Sad to say, nobody else seems to think the short life-span of your
    >typical DVD player is a legitimate consumer issue/gripe.

    You haven't proven that players have a short life span

    >The discs themselves are doing strong, with titles coming out all the
    >time. I remember the early days when it was like twenty titles a
    >month if lucky.
    >
    >It really says something when the manufacturers' warranties are only
    >good for three months nowadays on practically all models.

    My Denon, Toshiba and JVC all have or had 1 year warranties

    90% of electronic failures are within the first 30 days anyway. The
    vast majority of problems beyond that are usually due to heavier than
    standard use or abuse. Anything with moving parts and delicate
    focusing is apt to eventually have problems. And with disposable
    pricing on low end DVD players, it's hardly worth worrying about after
    the 1 year period.

    GK

    The Mad Doctor, Nov 7, 2003
  4. Newsgroup Poster

    rjdriver Guest

    > > <SNIP>
    > >

    > > This phenomenon is also why I haven't bought a dvd player yet. The
    > > major local video rental places only carry the newest titles on dvd,

    while
    > > older vhs titles tend to languish and not be replaced when they wear

    out.
    > > So my impression is that, during this transition period from vhs,

    classic
    > > titles are getting *more* difficult to find locally on either medium,

    not
    > > *less* difficult.

    > Interesting idea...there certainly aren't as many non-mainstream
    > cinema on DVD as even a pedestrian layperson like myself should
    > like....
    >
    > > Another twist to this is that dvds apparently have quite a high

    failure
    > > rate compared to vhs tapes.

    > ***THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I'VE BEEN BITCHING ABOUT FOR TWO YEARS!!!!!***
    >
    > I've had FIVE stand-alone (that is, not connected to a computer)
    > players FAIL on me within TWO years!! Sony, Panny, JVC, Zenith, it
    > don't matter the brand (they were within the $350-$100 range)...and it
    > ain't 'cause I subject them to humidity/dust/power spikes/etc.
    >
    > > Whether this is due to immature hardware or
    > > what I couldn't say, but what effect will this have on the future
    > > availability of dvd titles ?

    > Sad to say, nobody else seems to think the short life-span of your
    > typical DVD player is a legitimate consumer issue/gripe.
    >
    > The discs themselves are doing strong, with titles coming out all the
    > time. I remember the early days when it was like twenty titles a
    > month if lucky.
    >
    > It really says something when the manufacturers' warranties are only
    > good for three months nowadays on practically all models.
    >

    > > <SNIP>
    > >
    > > rms

    Had my Panny RP56 repaired 3 times in a little over two years. 2 lasers
    1 motor and various circuit boards have been replaced at a total repair cost
    of over $280.00, way more than what I paid for the unit. If it wasn't for
    the $49.00 4 year extended warantee I bought with the machine I would be
    much more upset about it. One more breakdown and they give me a new unit of
    equal value to what I paid for the Panny. I can get a lot more for that
    money now. SO -- all together now, clasp your hands and pray "Dear God,
    please allow Bob's RP56 to break again soon."

    Bob

    rjdriver, Nov 8, 2003
  5. Newsgroup Poster

    Wade365 Guest

    << One more breakdown and they give me a new unit of
    equal value to what I paid for the Panny. >>

    Is "Panny" some sort of Hipster-Slang for "Panasonic" or did you buy an actual
    brand "Panny"?

    Wade365, Nov 8, 2003
  6. Newsgroup Poster

    Jeeters Guest

    "Wade365" <> wrote in message
    > << One more breakdown and they give me a new unit of
    > equal value to what I paid for the Panny. >>
    >
    > Is "Panny" some sort of Hipster-Slang for "Panasonic" or did you buy an

    actual
    > brand "Panny"?

    lol. to each his own I guess, but I hate that '-y' lingo everybody tries to
    assign to stuff. I own a Jeep Liberty and when I go to some of the jeep
    forums, other owners sometimes call them "Libbys". I had a Nissan
    Pathfinder, and people called them "Pathys". I've seen "Panny" before and
    also "Blacky" for Black&Decker, "Mitsy" for Mitsubishi, and "Toshi" for
    Toshiba, to name a few. Only Gawd knows the sweet nicknames they've given
    their significant others.

    Jeeters, Nov 8, 2003
  7. Newsgroup Poster

    Stan Brown Guest

    Stan Brown, Nov 9, 2003
  8. Newsgroup Poster

    Codswallop Guest

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 03:11:23 GMT, Stan Brown wrote in alt.video.dvd:

    >>lol. to each his own I guess, but I hate that '-y' lingo everybody
    >>tries to assign to stuff.

    > Everybody who's anybody knows it should be "-ers" anyway. Champagne
    > is champers, a woman can be preggers, and so on. :)

    In Australia, we also use "-o" as well. An Ambulance is an "Ambo". A
    Bottle Shop is a "Bottlo". A Service Station (i.e. Petrol/Gas Station)
    is a "Servo".

    --
    - Cods

    (un ROT-13 to e-mail)

    Codswallop, Nov 9, 2003
  9. Newsgroup Poster

    Wade365 Guest

    Alright... I get what everyone adds and why... I'm still not getting an answer,
    though...

    : )

    I have a Panasonic LV-60 portable which has been EVERYWHERE and bounced,
    dust-filled, banged, dropped... it's never ever had a problem.

    I was just wondering if the "Panny" in question was a Panasonic. Never had a
    problem with my "Panny"...

    .... though if I did I would get right round to the doctor.

    Wade365, Nov 9, 2003
  10. Newsgroup Poster

    Giovanni Guest

    "Stan Brown" <> schreef in bericht
    > In article <> in alt.video.dvd,
    > Jeeters <> wrote:
    > >lol. to each his own I guess, but I hate that '-y' lingo everybody

    tries to
    > >assign to stuff.

    > Everybody who's anybody knows it should be "-ers" anyway. Champagne
    > is champers, a woman can be preggers, and so on. :)

    Put some meat on the barbers? No thanks!

    Giovanni, Nov 9, 2003
  11. Codswallop wrote:
    > On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 03:11:23 GMT, Stan Brown wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >

    >>>lol. to each his own I guess, but I hate that '-y' lingo everybody
    >>>tries to assign to stuff.

    >>Everybody who's anybody knows it should be "-ers" anyway. Champagne
    >>is champers, a woman can be preggers, and so on. :)

    > In Australia, we also use "-o" as well. An Ambulance is an "Ambo". A
    > Bottle Shop is a "Bottlo". A Service Station (i.e. Petrol/Gas Station)
    > is a "Servo".

    As an Australian, I have never heard the expression "Bottlo" (bottle
    shops are called Grog Shops) or "Servo" and never care to again.

    Tallulah Blanket, Nov 9, 2003
  12. Newsgroup Poster

    Codswallop Guest

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 08:04:52 GMT, Tallulah Blanket wrote in
    alt.video.dvd:

    >>>Everybody who's anybody knows it should be "-ers" anyway. Champagne
    >>>is champers, a woman can be preggers, and so on. :)

    >> In Australia, we also use "-o" as well. An Ambulance is an "Ambo".
    >> A Bottle Shop is a "Bottlo". A Service Station (i.e. Petrol/Gas
    >> Station) is a "Servo".
    >>

    > As an Australian, I have never heard the expression "Bottlo" (bottle
    > shops are called Grog Shops) or "Servo" and never care to again.

    TBH, most people my age (20s) don't use those terms. Generally, I hear
    them from "tradies" (i.e. tradespeople; as in electricians, plumbers
    etc) who are in the 40-50+ age group.

    --
    - Cods

    (un ROT-13 to e-mail)

    Codswallop, Nov 9, 2003
  13. Newsgroup Poster

    Jeeters Guest

    "Wade365" <> wrote in message
    > Alright... I get what everyone adds and why... I'm still not getting an

    answer,
    > though...
    >
    > : )
    >
    > I have a Panasonic LV-60 portable which has been EVERYWHERE and bounced,
    > dust-filled, banged, dropped... it's never ever had a problem.
    >
    > I was just wondering if the "Panny" in question was a Panasonic. Never had

    > problem with my "Panny"...

    Yes, he meant Panasonic. I've heard people use the term before for them.

    Jeeters, Nov 9, 2003