    --
    --Real Men use Linux!
    --chown

    root, Feb 8, 2009

  2. root

    Top Guest

    root presented the following explanation :
    > Im not going to expound on astronomy, comcast,lesbians or any other
    > verbose stupid shit.
    >
    > Simply sticking to the topic... rather than troubleshooting a program
    > i am unfamiliar with nor the creator of.
    >
    > I would suggest "avast" www.avast.com
    > They have a free version for windBlows, the fruit people, and
    > unix/linux

    Why would you need one for unix/linux?

    Top

    --
    ''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne

    Top, Feb 8, 2009

  3. Top wrote:

    > root presented the following explanation :
    >> I would suggest "avast" www.avast.com
    >> They have a free version for windBlows, the fruit people, and
    >> unix/linux

    > Why would you need one for unix/linux?

    So you can check attachments to email that you forward to Windows users.
    Why else?

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 8, 2009
  4. root

    Top Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty laid this down on his screen :
    > Top wrote:
    >
    >> root presented the following explanation :
    >>> I would suggest "avast" www.avast.com
    >>> They have a free version for windBlows, the fruit people, and
    >>> unix/linux

    >> Why would you need one for unix/linux?

    > So you can check attachments to email that you forward to Windows
    > users. Why else?

    <chuckle>

    --
    Working on Windows 7 beta (and a hope and a prayer)

    Top, Feb 8, 2009
  5. root

    root Guest

    On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 14:21:48 -0500, Top wrote:

    > root presented the following explanation :
    >> Im not going to expound on astronomy, comcast,lesbians or any other
    >> verbose stupid shit.
    >>
    >> Simply sticking to the topic... rather than troubleshooting a program i
    >> am unfamiliar with nor the creator of.
    >>
    >> I would suggest "avast" www.avast.com They have a free version for
    >> windBlows, the fruit people, and unix/linux

    > Why would you need one for unix/linux?
    >
    > Top

    Hey Top,
    A good question..if one were to use wine..The "windows emulator".. and
    launched an infected file from within the emulated directories.. the
    virus could damage those directories, and even send itself out via a
    windows platform email client.. to propagate itself onto other windows or
    mac users,.. possibly destroying the whole wine configuration, and maybe
    even rupture a few ext3 disk sectors.
    The other reasons would be most people use linux boxes as file
    servers,ftp,web, etc... this means people can download infected files from
    these machines.
    In a nutshell one could be almost deliberately infecting other users if he
    let the contents of his servers go unchecked.
    By default a Unix system wont be affected by a windows virus at large.
    There is no need to worry about viruses or a anti virus programs if all
    you are going to do is download porn, and beat off to dirty pics of angela
    devi or whatever on your Linux box, and keep it to yourself and dont
    share.
    "yes im not afraid to admit that im guilty of that",.. but just on
    holidays and stuff.

    Happy day

    --
    --Real Men use Linux!
    --chown

    root, Feb 8, 2009
  6. root

    Top Guest

    It happens that root formulated :
    > On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 14:21:48 -0500, Top wrote:
    >
    >> root presented the following explanation :
    >>> Im not going to expound on astronomy, comcast,lesbians or any other
    >>> verbose stupid shit.
    >>>
    >>> Simply sticking to the topic... rather than troubleshooting a
    >>> program i am unfamiliar with nor the creator of.
    >>>
    >>> I would suggest "avast" www.avast.com They have a free version for
    >>> windBlows, the fruit people, and unix/linux

    >> Why would you need one for unix/linux?
    >>
    >> Top

    > Hey Top,
    > A good question..if one were to use wine..The "windows emulator"..
    > and launched an infected file from within the emulated directories..
    > the virus could damage those directories, and even send itself out
    > via a windows platform email client.. to propagate itself onto other
    > windows or mac users,.. possibly destroying the whole wine
    > configuration, and maybe even rupture a few ext3 disk sectors.
    > The other reasons would be most people use linux boxes as file
    > servers,ftp,web, etc... this means people can download infected files
    > from these machines.
    > In a nutshell one could be almost deliberately infecting other users
    > if he let the contents of his servers go unchecked.
    > By default a Unix system wont be affected by a windows virus at
    > large. There is no need to worry about viruses or a anti virus
    > programs if all you are going to do is download porn, and beat off
    > to dirty pics of angela devi or whatever on your Linux box, and
    > keep it to yourself and dont share.
    > "yes im not afraid to admit that im guilty of that",.. but just on
    > holidays and stuff.
    >

    > Happy day

    chuckle ...

    Well since this is a windows box I do run AVG 8.?. If I was running
    linux on this one I probably wouldn't run anything though. I don't do
    much that could cause harm to linux. Not often anyway.

    Top

    --
    Many a married man who misses the last train home catches it.

    Top, Feb 9, 2009