Re: Advise on purchasing a Laptop.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Robert, Jul 8, 2003.

  1. Robert

    Robert Guest

    I had a toshiba Satellite Pro 420CDT - lots of problems with the pointing
    stick causing mouse drift. Had replacement keyboards and eventually had to
    have a modification fitted to the motherboard socket.
    Then I had an HP Omnbook 4100 - The LCD hinge area on these seemed to have a
    design flaw as mine and others broke in this area - the metal flange inside
    the LCD area seemed to be too short & weak causing the LCD bezel and back
    cover to break around the screw mounts. HP refused warranty on this. Didn't
    like the docking stations - they sometimes held onto the laptop and wouldn't
    release it.
    Now have a Dell C600 - great so far. Even bought a hard drive modular bay so
    I can remove the CD drive and pop in a second hard drive - real neat! Can be
    a bit heavy but I do have 2 batteries as well (for extended running).

    "Rob King" <> wrote in message

    > "PJ Lee" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello Group,
    > >
    > > I'm looking at buying a laptop for business use (mainly running Borland
    > > JBuilder and M$ Visual Studio .NET..), since I'm a "laptop virgin", I'm

    > not
    > > too sure where to start...
    > >
    > > The URL below links to a HP Laptop which also sold by Bond and bond, and
    > > since they have a 24 months interest free deal going, it's seems like a
    > > pretty good deal. What are you thoughts, comments on this laptop? and

    how
    > > difficult would it be if I want to upgrade it (add more ram for
    > > instance...)?
    > > All inputs are welcomed.

    > Well, I had a Toshiba Satellite which served me for 2 years without a

    single

    Robert, Jul 8, 2003