Re: Advice Please - Jumping from Xtra to TelstraClear

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by -Newsman-, Apr 30, 2006.

  1. -Newsman-

    -Newsman- Guest

    On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 09:44:00 +1200, btmo <> wrote:

    >Telecom / Xtra have pissed me off once too often, and this "we are going
    >to take away "complimentary" usenet access" is really the last straw.
    >
    >I have had a look at TelstraClear plans, and it appears that bundling
    >services, I can actually save quite a bit of money AND get cable internet.
    >
    >Does anyone use cable broadband, and are you willing your experiences?
    >
    >Which of the ISP choices makes more sense?
    >
    >Can you access newsgroups via paradise / clearnet?

    I use Clearnet, with TV, phone and Internet bundled.

    As a component of Telstra's bundled services, the cost of Internet
    access seems very reasonable compared to Telecom. Installation was
    free including their cable modem. Two-year contract.

    Live and podcast programming from various radio broadcasters around
    the world is a priority for me and this is where Cable's speed of
    access and 'efficiency' serves well. Since signing up, listening to
    local radio has all but evaporated in this household.

    Clear's News has crapped out a couple of times but it's not life
    threatening, is it? The entire Cablenet system failed in Wellington
    and Christchurch for several hours a while back.

    Not perfect, but life's just too short to....

    -Newsman-, Apr 30, 2006

  2. -Newsman-

    shannon Guest

    -Newsman- wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 09:44:00 +1200, btmo <> wrote:
    >
    >> Telecom / Xtra have pissed me off once too often, and this "we are going
    >> to take away "complimentary" usenet access" is really the last straw.
    >>
    >> I have had a look at TelstraClear plans, and it appears that bundling
    >> services, I can actually save quite a bit of money AND get cable internet.
    >>
    >> Does anyone use cable broadband, and are you willing your experiences?
    >>
    >> Which of the ISP choices makes more sense?
    >>
    >> Can you access newsgroups via paradise / clearnet?
    >>

    > I use Clearnet, with TV, phone and Internet bundled.
    >
    > As a component of Telstra's bundled services, the cost of Internet
    > access seems very reasonable compared to Telecom. Installation was
    > free including their cable modem. Two-year contract.
    >
    > Live and podcast programming from various radio broadcasters around
    > the world is a priority for me and this is where Cable's speed of
    > access and 'efficiency' serves well. Since signing up, listening to
    > local radio has all but evaporated in this household.

    If you like that sort of thing I highly recommend the Squeezebox
    http://www.slimdevices.com/
    and the alienbbc plugin
    Besides being an excellent local network music appliance it streams net
    radio, and podcasts and gives me all the bbc radio streams and archives,
    and the live concert archive at archive.org at the touch of a remote,
    without a computer in my listening room.

    shannon, Apr 30, 2006

  3. -Newsman-

    Mackin_NZ Guest

    shannon wrote:

    <snip>

    > If you like that sort of thing I highly recommend the Squeezebox
    > http://www.slimdevices.com/
    > and the alienbbc plugin
    > Besides being an excellent local network music appliance it streams net
    > radio, and podcasts and gives me all the bbc radio streams and archives,
    > and the live concert archive at archive.org at the touch of a remote,
    > without a computer in my listening room.

    Ditto on the Squeezbox. I have one too and it's an excellent device. I
    have one of the original models (SB1) but I'm considering upgrading to the
    latest model (SB3) which has a better DAC, larger buffer and 802.11g
    wireless (mine has only 802.11b).

    Mackin_NZ

    Mackin_NZ, Apr 30, 2006
  4. -Newsman-

    shannon Guest

    Mackin_NZ wrote:
    > shannon wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >> If you like that sort of thing I highly recommend the Squeezebox
    >> http://www.slimdevices.com/
    >> and the alienbbc plugin
    >> Besides being an excellent local network music appliance it streams net
    >> radio, and podcasts and gives me all the bbc radio streams and archives,
    >> and the live concert archive at archive.org at the touch of a remote,
    >> without a computer in my listening room.

    > Ditto on the Squeezbox. I have one too and it's an excellent device. I
    > have one of the original models (SB1) but I'm considering upgrading to the
    > latest model (SB3) which has a better DAC, larger buffer and 802.11g
    > wireless (mine has only 802.11b).
    >
    > Mackin_NZ

    Smug SB3 user here :), you will love the big display and the Squeezebox
    Network, no local pc required for shoutcast. I started off with the bent
    perspex slimp3, its still running in a bar.

    shannon, Apr 30, 2006
  5. -Newsman-

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 23:55:55 +0000, -Newsman- wrote:

    > Clear's News has crapped out a couple of times but it's not life
    > threatening, is it?

    Depends for how long eh? After all Telcom's News is going 6' under, and
    look at the problems it is causing its customers.

    Gordon, Apr 30, 2006