Re: Advice needed: putting an existing drive into a new barebones desktop PC

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alan, Jun 23, 2009.

  1. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "Crash" <> wrote in message
    >I am looking at buying this as a means of upgrading one of my
    > desktops. The new box will come with case, mobo, processor, memory,
    > dvd drive. No monitor, keyboard, mouse or hard drive. Usage is
    > simple - email, word processing etc. No fancy games, video drivers,
    > TV tuner etc.
    >
    > I am planning to swap the existing hard drive - as a means of
    > getting
    > everything that matters (data, installed software, desktop,
    > favourites
    > etc) into the new box with the same desktop and file system as at
    > present. OS is XP SP3.
    >
    > I am aware that XP will probably need to be activated again but is
    > there anything that I should do (such as a 'repair' install of XP)?
    >
    > The goal here is that the file system has the same 'drives' with all
    > data in the same place and that the desktop will have all the same
    > icons etc. This means that the user will only notice the speed
    > increase - but nothing else.

    It is likely you'll need to install new drivers for some of the
    hardware too - should be able to get those from the manufaturers'
    websites.

    I understand why you want to do it this way, but I would strongly
    advise to clean install everything.

    You could always use the Windows Transfer app to move all the settings
    over, and re-arranging the icons on your desktop isn't *too* big a
    task.....

    HTH,

    Alan.

    My unmunged email is: (valid for 30 days
    min probably much longer).

    Alan, Jun 23, 2009

  2. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "Crash" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 16:36:09 +1200, "Alan" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"Crash" <> wrote in message
    >>>I am looking at buying this as a means of upgrading one of my
    >>> desktops. The new box will come with case, mobo, processor,
    >>> memory,
    >>> dvd drive. No monitor, keyboard, mouse or hard drive. Usage is
    >>> simple - email, word processing etc. No fancy games, video
    >>> drivers,
    >>> TV tuner etc.
    >>>
    >>> I am planning to swap the existing hard drive - as a means of
    >>> getting
    >>> everything that matters (data, installed software, desktop,
    >>> favourites
    >>> etc) into the new box with the same desktop and file system as at
    >>> present. OS is XP SP3.
    >>>
    >>> I am aware that XP will probably need to be activated again but is
    >>> there anything that I should do (such as a 'repair' install of
    >>> XP)?
    >>>
    >>> The goal here is that the file system has the same 'drives' with
    >>> all
    >>> data in the same place and that the desktop will have all the same
    >>> icons etc. This means that the user will only notice the speed
    >>> increase - but nothing else.
    >>>

    >>It is likely you'll need to install new drivers for some of the
    >>hardware too - should be able to get those from the manufaturers'
    >>websites.
    >>
    >>I understand why you want to do it this way, but I would strongly
    >>advise to clean install everything.
    >>
    >>You could always use the Windows Transfer app to move all the
    >>settings
    >>over, and re-arranging the icons on your desktop isn't *too* big a
    >>task.....

    > First I have heard of a 'Windows Transfer' app. Can you point me at
    > it?
    >
    > The old box has installed software that includes at Genealogy app
    > along with MS Office, various photo editing apps and others. It is
    > my
    > experience that most apps use the Registry to store settings. A
    > clean
    > XP install will blow away the current Registry and as a consequence
    > it
    > will take hours and hours to get all the apps re-installed and their
    > various settings re-established.

    Hi Crash,

    On my WinXP machine, it is under:

    Programs - Accessories - System Tools - File and Settings Transfer
    Wizard

    You are correct - it will take some time (probably hours), but
    personally I would regard that as time well spent as the machine will
    likely run much faster and sweeter that way.

    Once done, image the disk, that way if you want to move it elsewhere
    again, or even just 'strip it back' later, it is is 10 min job.

    Alan, Jun 23, 2009

  3. Alan

    Woger Guest

    On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 16:36:09 +1200, "Alan" <> wrote:

    >"Crash" <> wrote in message
    >>I am looking at buying this as a means of upgrading one of my
    >> desktops. The new box will come with case, mobo, processor, memory,
    >> dvd drive. No monitor, keyboard, mouse or hard drive. Usage is
    >> simple - email, word processing etc. No fancy games, video drivers,
    >> TV tuner etc.
    >>
    >> I am planning to swap the existing hard drive - as a means of
    >> getting
    >> everything that matters (data, installed software, desktop,
    >> favourites
    >> etc) into the new box with the same desktop and file system as at
    >> present. OS is XP SP3.
    >>
    >> I am aware that XP will probably need to be activated again but is
    >> there anything that I should do (such as a 'repair' install of XP)?
    >>
    >> The goal here is that the file system has the same 'drives' with all
    >> data in the same place and that the desktop will have all the same
    >> icons etc. This means that the user will only notice the speed
    >> increase - but nothing else.
    >>

    >It is likely you'll need to install new drivers for some of the
    >hardware too - should be able to get those from the manufaturers'
    >websites.
    >
    >I understand why you want to do it this way, but I would strongly
    >advise to clean install everything.
    >
    >You could always use the Windows Transfer app to move all the settings
    >over, and re-arranging the icons on your desktop isn't *too* big a
    >task.....
    >
    >HTH,
    >
    >Alan.

    There are BIG problems on moving a HD to a different MoBo and CPU, the HAL
    has to be updated.

    I gather some backup and copy software will update the HAL like Seagate's
    Diskwizard and Acronis..

    Plus you will have to, in Intel's case update the INF drivers from the
    chipset.

    Woger, Jun 23, 2009
  4. Alan

    Woger Guest

    On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 18:54:22 +1200, "Alan" <> wrote:

    >"Crash" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 16:36:09 +1200, "Alan" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Crash" <> wrote in message

    >>>It is likely you'll need to install new drivers for some of the
    >>>hardware too - should be able to get those from the manufaturers'
    >>>websites.
    >>>
    >>>I understand why you want to do it this way, but I would strongly
    >>>advise to clean install everything.
    >>>
    >>>You could always use the Windows Transfer app to move all the
    >>>settings
    >>>over, and re-arranging the icons on your desktop isn't *too* big a
    >>>task.....

    >> First I have heard of a 'Windows Transfer' app. Can you point me at
    >> it?
    >>
    >> The old box has installed software that includes at Genealogy app
    >> along with MS Office, various photo editing apps and others. It is
    >> my
    >> experience that most apps use the Registry to store settings. A
    >> clean
    >> XP install will blow away the current Registry and as a consequence
    >> it
    >> will take hours and hours to get all the apps re-installed and their
    >> various settings re-established.
    >>

    >Hi Crash,
    >
    >On my WinXP machine, it is under:
    >
    >Programs - Accessories - System Tools - File and Settings Transfer
    >Wizard
    >

    >You are correct - it will take some time (probably hours), but
    >personally I would regard that as time well spent as the machine will
    >likely run much faster and sweeter that way.
    >
    >Once done, image the disk, that way if you want to move it elsewhere
    >again, or even just 'strip it back' later, it is is 10 min job.
    >
    >HTH,
    >
    >Alan.

    Some HAL Info

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309283

    Woger, Jun 23, 2009
  5. Alan

    Woger Guest

    On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 18:54:22 +1200, "Alan" <> wrote:

    >"Crash" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 16:36:09 +1200, "Alan" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Crash" <> wrote in message

    >>>It is likely you'll need to install new drivers for some of the
    >>>hardware too - should be able to get those from the manufaturers'
    >>>websites.
    >>>
    >>>I understand why you want to do it this way, but I would strongly
    >>>advise to clean install everything.
    >>>
    >>>You could always use the Windows Transfer app to move all the
    >>>settings
    >>>over, and re-arranging the icons on your desktop isn't *too* big a
    >>>task.....

    >> First I have heard of a 'Windows Transfer' app. Can you point me at
    >> it?
    >>
    >> The old box has installed software that includes at Genealogy app
    >> along with MS Office, various photo editing apps and others. It is
    >> my
    >> experience that most apps use the Registry to store settings. A
    >> clean
    >> XP install will blow away the current Registry and as a consequence
    >> it
    >> will take hours and hours to get all the apps re-installed and their
    >> various settings re-established.
    >>

    >Hi Crash,
    >
    >On my WinXP machine, it is under:
    >
    >Programs - Accessories - System Tools - File and Settings Transfer
    >Wizard
    >

    >You are correct - it will take some time (probably hours), but
    >personally I would regard that as time well spent as the machine will
    >likely run much faster and sweeter that way.
    >
    >Once done, image the disk, that way if you want to move it elsewhere
    >again, or even just 'strip it back' later, it is is 10 min job.
    >
    >HTH,
    >
    >Alan.

    Some more HAL Info

    http://www.myitforum.com/articles/15/view.asp?id=8997

    Woger, Jun 23, 2009
  6. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "Woger" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 16:36:09 +1200, "Alan" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"Crash" <> wrote in message
    >>>I am looking at buying this as a means of upgrading one of my
    >>> desktops. The new box will come with case, mobo, processor,
    >>> memory,
    >>> dvd drive. No monitor, keyboard, mouse or hard drive. Usage is
    >>> simple - email, word processing etc. No fancy games, video
    >>> drivers,
    >>> TV tuner etc.
    >>>
    >>> I am planning to swap the existing hard drive - as a means of
    >>> getting
    >>> everything that matters (data, installed software, desktop,
    >>> favourites
    >>> etc) into the new box with the same desktop and file system as at
    >>> present. OS is XP SP3.
    >>>
    >>> I am aware that XP will probably need to be activated again but is
    >>> there anything that I should do (such as a 'repair' install of
    >>> XP)?
    >>>
    >>> The goal here is that the file system has the same 'drives' with
    >>> all
    >>> data in the same place and that the desktop will have all the same
    >>> icons etc. This means that the user will only notice the speed
    >>> increase - but nothing else.
    >>>

    >>It is likely you'll need to install new drivers for some of the
    >>hardware too - should be able to get those from the manufaturers'
    >>websites.
    >>
    >>I understand why you want to do it this way, but I would strongly
    >>advise to clean install everything.
    >>
    >>You could always use the Windows Transfer app to move all the
    >>settings
    >>over, and re-arranging the icons on your desktop isn't *too* big a
    >>task.....
    >>
    >>HTH,
    >>
    >>Alan.

    > There are BIG problems on moving a HD to a different MoBo and CPU,
    > the HAL
    > has to be updated.
    >
    > I gather some backup and copy software will update the HAL like
    > Seagate's
    > Diskwizard and Acronis..
    >
    > Plus you will have to, in Intel's case update the INF drivers
    > from the
    > chipset.

    Agreed - I would suggest you just start from scratch and get a nice
    clean install.

    Alan, Jun 23, 2009
  7. Alan

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-06-23, Alan <> wrote:

    > Agreed - I would suggest you just start from scratch and get a nice
    > clean install.

    There is a saying, it may take longer, but it will be quicker.

    From experience I have found that fresh installs are the way you go in the
    end.

    Gordon, Jun 25, 2009