Re: Advice for Escaping Windows in Favour of Linux

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by gooseborg@gmail.com, Sep 25, 2007.

  1. Guest

    On Sep 25, 4:58 pm, The Ghost In The Machine
    <00suus7038.net> wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
    > <>
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 25 Sep 2007 16:30:29 +0100
    > <>:
    >
    > > How to Quit Windows and cope with Windows Withdrawal Syndrome

    > > ,----[ Quote ]
    > > | Now that you have decided to quit Windows for good and
    > > | to switch over to a Desktop Linux Distribution, following
    > > | these basic steps will help you a lot. Initially, a basic
    > > | knowledge about GNU/Linux is important. What is it really
    > > | and how does it differ from Windows?
    > > `----

    > >http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=307

    > Heh. A few notes.
    >
    > [1] Intel, if I'm not totally mistaken, is on record as
    > supporting Linux. Admittedly, a quick Google coughed
    > up only a video and a wireless driver or two, and this
    > three-year-old article:
    >
    > http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5161041.html
    >
    > A search on Intel's website also coughed up their C++ compiler,
    > a performance analyzer (VTune(tm)), a math kernel library
    > (not sure if that's kernel as in Linux, kernel as in core,
    > or kernel as in kerning transformations), a Fortran compiler,
    > a threading library, and a whole lot of other stuff -- 12900
    > in all, if the count's accurate.
    >
    > Kudos to Intel.
    >
    > [2] Drafts aren't hard on Linux, even if one is using gedit.
    > CUPS is also very capable, if one wants to print them later.
    >
    > [3] I'm not sure I like the notion of destroying Windows
    > install CDs (I'm a pack rat; I admit it :) )...the
    > temptation is there, admittedly, but they'll also grow
    > stale anyway. I have some Win95 stuff flying about, and
    > even older Win3.1 installation packs. Do I use them? No.
    > Still, for those of a certain mindset, it's probably best
    > to put them out of reach, and if that involves destroying
    > them, so be it.
    >
    > [4] "Back up and format" is an interesting requirement,
    > but how does one restore later on? The article could be
    > clearer on this. The good news: anyone familiar with DVD
    > or CD burning software should be able to burn a DVD or CD
    > that Linux can read, and I would be surprised if Linux
    > can't read the Microsoft extensions (Joliet is the only
    > one I'm somewhat familiar with). Or one can use ancient
    > 1.44 MB floppies, or even tape drives, in a pinch.
    >
    > [5] As usual, the author(s) confuse Linux, the kernel, with
    > an arbitrary Linux-based distribution. *shrug*
    >
    > [6] There is no mention of how to avoid Windows in
    > new equipment, but that's probably beyond the scope of
    > the article anyway. One of Microsoft's more insidious
    > "innovations", after all, is the bundling of Windows
    > on prepackaged PCs. Even if one later wipes Windows,
    > Microsoft still gets paid.
    >
    > (lucky bastards :) )
    >
    > --
    > #191,
    > Linux. Because life's too short for a buggy OS.

    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

    Has anyone ever told you Ghost In The Machine, that you are
    exceedingly

    Why must you write a dissertation with every response?
    , Sep 25, 2007