Re: ADSL 'failed installation'

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by peterwn, Jun 17, 2008.

  1. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    On Jun 17, 7:32 pm, "ofn01" <> wrote:
    > We are with Orcon and our ADSL should have been provisioned yesterday. The ADSL router doesn't connect and says the physical line is down. All phones and normal dial up modems work without ADSL filters.
    >
    > Orcon are now saying its a 'failed installation' where the ADSL has been setup at the exchange/cabinet and phones/modems work but the ADSL signal is not getting through for the router/adsl modem.
    >
    > I've never heard of this before though? The house is new (just a few months old) and has cat5 wiring for everything.
    >
    > They reckon someone has to come out to check it all & may have to install a special jackpoint.
    >
    > Can this happen? It sounds to me like the ADSL hasn't been setup properly at the exchange/cabinet etc.

    Make sure that there is a filter on EVERY phone, fax machine, dial up
    modem etc. Double and triple check this. To be on the safe side
    unplug EVERYTHING (again double check) and see if the router
    functions.

    Also is there a monitored intruder alarm? This needs to be filtered
    out as well. As far as I know, the phone wiring goes to the alarm box
    first, then on to the first jackpoint (in this case it is necessary to
    install a 'fixed' filter with the 'high pass' ADSL outlet to a
    dedicated ADSL jackpoint and the 'low pass' ordinary phone outlet
    feeding the alarm box and everything else).

    Another trick is to go to the jackpoint nearest to the demarc. point
    and disconnect the 'downstream' connections and see if this makes any
    difference.

    If speech and dial up data makes it to your house, it is very unlikely
    that there is an 'external' fault which would completely block the
    ADSL signal to the router.

    I tried to help a woman get DSL going a while back and asked her two
    or three times if she had shown me ALL jacks - she missed one and that
    was the cause of the problem. I did not have time to start
    segregating the wiring.
    peterwn, Jun 17, 2008

  2. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    On Jun 17, 9:54 pm, "ofn01" <> wrote:
    > "peterwn" <> wrote in messagenews:...
    > > Make sure that there is a filter on EVERY phone, fax machine, dial up
    > > modem etc. Double and triple check this. To be on the safe side
    > > unplug EVERYTHING (again double check) and see if the router
    > > functions.

    > I disconnected everything, including the network cables to the modified jackpoints and still no go.
    >
    > I notice in the 'patch panel' area (in our garage) the two network cables are simply patched directly together & no longer feed into the special phone jackpoint distribution section.
    >
    > > Another trick is to go to the jackpoint nearest to the demarc. point
    > > and disconnect the 'downstream' connections and see if this makes any
    > > difference.

    > I attempted to do this by choosing the first set of wires in the patch panel nearest the input ones from the phoneline (they're all marked for us which is handy) - but still no go.
    >
    > I just can't fathom it - I reckon they haven't activated the ADSL yet....

    You do seem to have done everything possible to eliminate any
    potential hiccups at your end. At this point I would probably raise
    the white flag and ask for technical help.
    peterwn, Jun 17, 2008

  3. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    On Jun 17, 9:38 pm, "ofn01" <> wrote:

    > Our alarm isn't phone monitored - we asked & were told it would cost extra to get the alarm wired into the phonelines.

    OK, but are you sure that the phone line has not been connected via
    the alarm box to allow for monitoring in the future (or because the
    alarm installer accidentally did this). The cost of hooking it up
    ready for monitoring may be 'peanuts' especially for a brand new house
    - the real cost is the daily monitoring fee plus the risk of security
    guard callouts. This is the time to consider and check out any crazy
    thought.

    > We did have two of the phone jackpoints converted over to RJ45 ports so that two rooms could be networked together (like a patch cable) - could this cause a problem with the router not detecting the ADSL signal?

    As far as I know there should be no problem sharing phone and data
    over the same cable - orange & green pairs for data and blue pair for
    phone and brown for second phone line (I think). One leg of pair is
    colour and other leg is colour/white. Each pair is twisted at a
    different rate to minimise 'crosstalk' between the pairs. - this is
    readily noticeable when you strip back say 150mm of cable. To be on
    the safe side unplug the computer cables while trying to get things to
    work.
    peterwn, Jun 17, 2008
  4. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    On Jun 17, 10:35 pm, "ofn01" <> wrote:

    > Yeah I've already logged a call for the technician to come out. WHat I object to is the mandatory $150 fee which I won't feel happy paying if it turns out to be something wrong with the actual provisioning.

    If the problem is on your side of demarc. you will have to lump it.
    If it is on Telecom's side of demarc. you would seem to have a good
    case to have it waived. Even more so if the exchange end work was
    botched.

    Sorry, but I would put my money on it that there is some 'gremlin' on
    your side of demarc.
    peterwn, Jun 17, 2008
  5. In article
    <>,
    peterwn did write:

    > Make sure that there is a filter on EVERY phone, fax machine, dial up
    > modem etc.

    Unless you have more than four. In which case take them all out and install
    a splitter.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 17, 2008
  6. peterwn

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "ofn01" typed:
    > "peterwn" <> wrote in message
    >> On Jun 17, 9:54 pm, "ofn01" <> wrote:
    >>> "peterwn" <> wrote in
    >>> messagenews:...
    >>>
    >>> I disconnected everything, including the network cables to the
    >>> modified jackpoints and still no go.
    >>>
    >>> I notice in the 'patch panel' area (in our garage) the two network
    >>> cables are simply patched directly together & no longer feed into
    >>> the special phone jackpoint distribution section.

    >>> I attempted to do this by choosing the first set of wires in the
    >>> patch panel nearest the input ones from the phoneline (they're all
    >>> marked for us which is handy) - but still no go.
    >>>
    >>> I just can't fathom it - I reckon they haven't activated the ADSL
    >>> yet....

    >> You do seem to have done everything possible to eliminate any
    >> potential hiccups at your end. At this point I would probably raise
    >> the white flag and ask for technical help.

    > Yeah I've already logged a call for the technician to come out. WHat
    > I object to is the mandatory $150 fee which I won't feel happy paying
    > if it turns out to be something wrong with the actual provisioning.

    I thought that they only charged you if the fault was found to be 'yours'?
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 18, 2008