Re: ADSL bandwidth decreases...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ztroll, Jun 29, 2003.

  1. ztroll

    ztroll Guest

    It has to do with the internet's verification process and how data is sent
    over the net's transmission lines. According to article I've recently read,
    the internet is set up so that constantly checks packs received to packs
    sent and if there errors due to transmission congestion, that is, packs sent
    and not received, then the transmission rate between a send point and
    received point is lowered and possibly lowered again if errors continue
    realized between those to points.
    Article went on to say that there is another transmission protocol that
    would allow for faster transmission along a diminished transmission route if
    error rate is lessened as congestion along transmission route lightens but
    that protocol needs to be recognized and accepted into the current IP/TCP
    structure.
    Article was in the Economist's Technology Quarterly, 6.21.03 or Dr. Steven
    Low's work at California Institute of Technology.

    ztroll, Jun 29, 2003

  2. ztroll

    ztroll Guest

    Let me preface my responses by saying, I'm not in any way a degreed computer
    or IT expert; just someone whose knowledge of computers, ect comes from
    personal readings and experience. So please pardon me for not being as
    precise as one could be with my response to the poster.

    That being said, I understood his question to be why was his transmission
    speed dimishing over time and that that lowered transmission was not
    exclusive to his transmissions between his pc and his ISP. So I responded
    to what I've read as being a problem in current ITC protocol that indeed
    this "problem" is also being experienced by a whole lot of other people-ie.,
    everyone on the internet.
    As for your statement that Low's protocol is "internet 2", I don't know.
    The article in the Economist states Low's protocol is titled "FAST" (it
    doesn't state what that acrnym stands for) and states that the FAST protocol
    increases transmission speeds if it detects no errors in the transmission it
    is monitoring. The current TCP only lowers transmission rates to eliminate
    transmission errors.

    ztroll, Jun 29, 2003