Re: ADSL 2 speeds

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by JohnO, Jul 19, 2010.

  1. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    On Jul 19, 1:50 pm, whoisthis <> wrote:
    > Just wondering what ADSL 2 connection speeds people are getting,
    > particularly upload speeds (Modem reported connection speed)
    >
    > Why I ask is that at my new house I am all of 50m from the cabinet where
    > the DSLAMs are located and have 1dB line attenuation for downstream and
    > 0.5dB for upstream.
    >
    > My up stream reported speed is 20178Kb
    > My down stream reported speed is 408Kb
    >
    > IIRC max/max is 24Mb/1Mb
    >
    > However at my old house where I only had ADSL 1 and was about 1Km from
    > the DSLAM I was getting about 7000kb up and 600k down.
    >
    > So I am wondering why I am getting less than 50% of the Max up stream
    > capacity when I am paying for max/max.
    >
    > Are they now artificially limiting up stream speed ????
    >
    > Cheers

    Odd. You ought to be getting 800kb/s up.

    What do you*actually* get on a speed test (google nzdsl speed test)

    My modem reports 20Mb/s and speed test gets me about 17Mb/s at best.
    However at certain times of the day that can drop to a few Mb/s due to
    contention.

    JohnO, Jul 19, 2010

  2. JohnO

    Simon Guest

    On Jul 19, 3:20 pm, JohnO <> wrote:

    > Odd. You ought to be getting 800kb/s up.
    >
    > What do you*actually* get on a speed test (google nzdsl speed test)
    >
    > My modem reports 20Mb/s and speed test gets me about 17Mb/s at best.
    > However at certain times of the day that can drop to a few Mb/s due to
    > contention.

    We have an employee who was receiving 18000kbps/167kbps on ADSL via an
    TelstraClear connection, which resulted in real-world throughput of
    approximately a 5500kbps/142kbps.

    Simon, Jul 19, 2010

  3. JohnO

    Richard Guest

    Simon wrote:
    > On Jul 19, 3:20 pm, JohnO <> wrote:
    >
    >> Odd. You ought to be getting 800kb/s up.
    >>
    >> What do you*actually* get on a speed test (google nzdsl speed test)
    >>
    >> My modem reports 20Mb/s and speed test gets me about 17Mb/s at best.
    >> However at certain times of the day that can drop to a few Mb/s due to
    >> contention.

    > We have an employee who was receiving 18000kbps/167kbps on ADSL via an
    > TelstraClear connection, which resulted in real-world throughput of
    > approximately a 5500kbps/142kbps.

    Which is to be expected on TCP when you artifically constrain the
    upstream to that degree.

    Get on a plan with broadband in both directions and it will be a lot better.

    Richard, Jul 19, 2010