Re: Adobe - Photoshop and their "Subscriptions"

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PeterN, Jun 5, 2013.

  1. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/3/2013 8:30 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-06-03 16:19:27 -0700, said:
    >
    >> I have been a Photoshop user since the very first release of the
    >> software for the PC way back in what, 1990? 1994?? Both personal and
    >> at all of the screenprinting companies I managed over the years and
    >> right up to my own personal photography work. I looked at GIMP once,
    >> Same with COREL..... and a few other wannabe's.
    >>
    >> Through all the years I've been a loyal Adobe customer and never
    >> really considered anything else as the Photoshop products always did
    >> well for me.
    >>
    >> Over the weekend I purchased a Nikon D3200 camera. This camera uses
    >> NEF-Compressed RAW format. I use Photoshop CS3 mostly out of laziness
    >> in updating. Also though there is the cost with seeming annual
    >> upgrades. CS3 did everything I need it to do so if it ain't broken
    >> don't fix it.
    >>
    >> My research and updating of CS3 let to naught as those of you in the
    >> "know" will nod your heads to. So I figured I would call Adobe and
    >> learn what the cost would be to upgrade.
    >>
    >> Imagine my surprise when I learned of Adobe's current Subscription
    >> demands to have the privilege of using their products.

    > We feel your pain. :-(
    > This has been discussed in the photo NGs at some length, and many of us
    > here have discussed, and weighed the pro & cons of the Adobe "Creative
    > Cloud" (CC). Many of us have decided that CS6 is the end of the Adobe
    > upgrade treadmill. Few of us here are pro-photographers, or graphic
    > artists/designers and we have chosen to stick with CS5 or CS6 and go no
    > further.
    >
    > Personally, over the years I have paid for PS7, PS-CS, then up graded to
    > CS2, CS3, CS4, CS5, & finally CS6. I use Lightroom 4 (LR4)+CS6 in my
    > workflow.
    >
    > The Adobe upgrade path changed several years ago and for you an upgrade
    > from CS3 to CS5 dead-ended some time ago. You are correct the only
    > purchasable upgrade you could make today is CS5 to CS6. So, your
    > purchase options are to pay $699 to Adobe for the last of their
    > inventory, or $650 via Amazon for the last of their inventory. None of
    > those are appealing.
    >
    > Now that you have a new camera which is not supported by ACR in your
    > CS3, you have several options:
    > 1: Search out other available software options.
    >
    > 2: Stick with CS3 and add Lightroom 4 , currently available for
    > $97.99 from Amazon. This will give you all you need for cataloging and
    > processing of current RAW files, and you will still be able to use CS3.
    > (this is the solution I recommend)
    > There are some advantages to this as you would be using the 2012 RAW
    > process engine, which is a vast improvement over the 2003 version in CS3.
    >
    > 3: Download the current version of the free DNR convertor from Adobe,
    > and continue with CS3.
    >
    > ...or 4: Take a deep breath and consider the actual annual cost of
    > the subscription model for single module rental of Photoshop compared to
> [...]

    So far, I have found DXO is a better than decent RAW converter, with
    more capability than ACR. I will have a more informed opinion as I
    continue to learn the produce and they come out with the promised
    upgrade to permit selective adjustments.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Jun 5, 2013