Re: Adobe - Photoshop and their "Subscriptions"

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nospam, Jun 4, 2013.

  1. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    > >>> Over the weekend I purchased a Nikon D3200 camera. This camera uses
    > >>> NEF-Compressed RAW format. I use Photoshop CS3 mostly out of laziness
    > >>> in updating. Also though there is the cost with seeming annual
    > >>> upgrades. CS3 did everything I need it to do so if it ain't broken
    > >>> don't fix it.
    > >>
    > >> I didn't read most of your rant but here's what you do:
    > >>
    > >> 1. Get the free Adobe DNGConverter to convert your raw files to DNG.
    > >>
    > >> 2. Keep using CS3 as before.

    > >
    > > Thank you both very much. Sorry about the rant.... Been months since I
    > > had a good one and that certainly did not qualify as a good one.
    > > However I am disapointed in Adobe. Actually I started out just to say
    > > I thought this was going to hurt them. Also, this is what I get for
    > > having lived in a cave for a couple of years.
    > >
    > > Elements you say?

    >
    > I didn't say Elements at all.


    i suggested elements.

    > I said: 1) Get the free DNG converter and 2) _continue_ using CS3 with
    > the DNG files instead of the NEF.


    the most recent version of elements will be far more convenient than
    that.

    however, dng converter is free.
     
    nospam, Jun 4, 2013
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. nospam

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Thursday, June 6, 2013 1:44:19 AM UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-06-05 17:15:48 -0700, said:
    >
    >
    >
    > > On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 18:18:37 -0400, nospam <>

    >
    > > wrote:

    >
    > >

    >
    > >> In article <>, Alan Browne

    >
    > >> <> wrote:

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >>>>>> Over the weekend I purchased a Nikon D3200 camera. This camera uses

    >
    > >>>>>> NEF-Compressed RAW format. I use Photoshop CS3 mostly out of laziness

    >
    > >>>>>> in updating. Also though there is the cost with seeming annual

    >
    > >>>>>> upgrades. CS3 did everything I need it to do so if it ain't broken

    >
    > >>>>>> don't fix it.

    >
    > >>>>>

    >
    > >>>>> I didn't read most of your rant but here's what you do:

    >
    > >>>>>

    >
    > >>>>> 1. Get the free Adobe DNGConverter to convert your raw files to DNG.

    >
    > >>>>>

    >
    > >>>>> 2. Keep using CS3 as before.

    >
    > >>>>

    >
    > >>>> Thank you both very much. Sorry about the rant.... Been months since I

    >
    > >>>> had a good one and that certainly did not qualify as a good one.

    >
    > >>>> However I am disapointed in Adobe. Actually I started out just to say

    >
    > >>>> I thought this was going to hurt them. Also, this is what I get for

    >
    > >>>> having lived in a cave for a couple of years.

    >
    > >>>>

    >
    > >>>> Elements you say?

    >
    > >>>

    >
    > >>> I didn't say Elements at all.

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >> i suggested elements.

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >>> I said: 1) Get the free DNG converter and 2) _continue_ using CS3 with

    >
    > >>> the DNG files instead of the NEF.

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >> the most recent version of elements will be far more convenient than

    >
    > >> that.

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >> however, dng converter is free.

    >
    > >

    >
    > > Yes, I was recognizing both your early contributions.....and

    >
    > > overlooking my rudeness.

    >
    > >

    >
    > > I used Elements back in it's very first iteration. However I also had

    >
    > > Photoshop and used it heavily in the printing industry so it seemed

    >
    > > redundant back then and I have not kept uip with it having stuck with

    >
    > > PS all along.

    >
    > >

    >
    > > So, I am now venturing outside my comfort zone and "broadening my

    >
    > > horizons" as my anger management obsessive girlfriend constantly

    >
    > > reminds me. Let's just face it...Old men do not like change! At least

    >
    > > I don't...

    >
    > >

    >
    > > I am going to grab the DNG converter tonight. Thanks much both of

    >
    > > ya's.

    >
    >
    >
    > I still recommend test driving Lightroom 4 to use with your copy of CS3.
    >
    > You might even find less need for anymore than the occasional use of CS3.
    >
    >
    >
    > Here is a brief overview of some of the develop capabilities of
    >
    > Lightroom 4 by Julieanne Kost;
    >
    > <
    >
    > http://tv.adobe.com/watch/getting-s...ightroom-4/lightroom-4-create-stunning-images
    >
    > ?
    >
    >
    >
    > The trial download link:
    >
    > < https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=photoshop_lightroom >
    >
    >
    >
    > ...and if you decide to buy, check with Amazon, as they have much
    >
    > better prices than Adobe direct.


    Poor amazon will lose out come the subscription method. ;-(
    Makes me wonder how can amazon sell cheaper than Adobe can.
     
    Whisky-dave, Jun 6, 2013
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. nospam

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/6/2013 11:28 AM, Savageduck wrote:


    <snip>
    >
    > Lightroom & PSE are not currently on the subscription hit list, so for
    > now sales from vendors other than Adobe will continue as usual. As to
    > how Amazon and other vendors sell at lower prices than Adobe's retail
    > set prices, they obviously make wholesale arrangements/deals with those
    > vendors.
    > As to the CC, all vendors will eventually loose out, and will not have
    > any of the Creative Suite products to sell.
    >


    I'm not sure what effect this will have on the plug-in publishers.
    One side of me say they will fill in a lot of the gaps between
    Essentials and CC. The other side says that I'm not certain they will
    be able to continue development of seamless plug-ins for CC.



    --
    PeterN
     
    PeterN, Jun 6, 2013
    #3
  4. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <51b0d1fd$0$10765$-secrets.com>, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    > I'm not sure what effect this will have on the plug-in publishers.


    none.

    > One side of me say they will fill in a lot of the gaps between
    > Essentials and CC.


    what's essentials?

    do you mean elements?

    weren't you going on about proper use of english? looks like it's you
    who has the problem, not me.

    > The other side says that I'm not certain they will
    > be able to continue development of seamless plug-ins for CC.


    why wouldn't they? adobe isn't going to stop them.

    you're talking out your ass again.
     
    nospam, Jun 6, 2013
    #4
  5. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <2013060611493030337-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
    Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    > As for development, I am sure that most of the plug-in publishers have
    > working arrangements with Adobe.


    no need.

    all that's needed is download the plug-in sdk and start writing.
     
    nospam, Jun 6, 2013
    #5
  6. nospam

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/6/2013 2:49 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-06-06 11:16:29 -0700, PeterN <> said:
    >
    >> On 6/6/2013 11:28 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>>
    >>> Lightroom & PSE are not currently on the subscription hit list, so for
    >>> now sales from vendors other than Adobe will continue as usual. As to
    >>> how Amazon and other vendors sell at lower prices than Adobe's retail
    >>> set prices, they obviously make wholesale arrangements/deals with those
    >>> vendors.
    >>> As to the CC, all vendors will eventually loose out, and will not have
    >>> any of the Creative Suite products to sell.
    >>>

    >>
    >> I'm not sure what effect this will have on the plug-in publishers.
    >> One side of me say they will fill in a lot of the gaps between
    >> Essentials and CC. The other side says that I'm not certain they will
    >> be able to continue development of seamless plug-ins for CC.

    >
    > I don't see why the plug-in publishers would have any difficulty at all.
    > The CC edition of Photoshop is downloaded to, and installed on the
    > subscriber's computer where it runs. The separately purchased plug-ins,
    > some of which are stand-alone applications, would be installed in
    > whichever copies of eligible editing software is installed on the user's
    > computer. Nothing would change.
    >
    > For example, I use the NIK suite, and when it installs the plug-ins, it
    > places them where they fit. In my case CS5. CS6, LR4, & PSE9. If I
    > subscribed to the CC, I would like to believe that they would install
    > without issue.
    >
    > As for development, I am sure that most of the plug-in publishers have
    > working arrangements with Adobe.
    >


    I hope you are right, but I have not seen that issue clarified.

    --
    PeterN
     
    PeterN, Jun 6, 2013
    #6
  7. nospam

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <2013060611493030337-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
    savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com says...
    >
    > On 2013-06-06 11:16:29 -0700, PeterN <> said:
    >
    > > On 6/6/2013 11:28 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    > >
    > >
    > > <snip>
    > >>
    > >> Lightroom & PSE are not currently on the subscription hit list, so for
    > >> now sales from vendors other than Adobe will continue as usual. As to
    > >> how Amazon and other vendors sell at lower prices than Adobe's retail
    > >> set prices, they obviously make wholesale arrangements/deals with those
    > >> vendors.
    > >> As to the CC, all vendors will eventually loose out, and will not have
    > >> any of the Creative Suite products to sell.
    > >>

    > >
    > > I'm not sure what effect this will have on the plug-in publishers.
    > > One side of me say they will fill in a lot of the gaps between
    > > Essentials and CC. The other side says that I'm not certain they will
    > > be able to continue development of seamless plug-ins for CC.

    >
    > I don't see why the plug-in publishers would have any difficulty at all.
    > The CC edition of Photoshop is downloaded to, and installed on the
    > subscriber's computer where it runs. The separately purchased plug-ins,
    > some of which are stand-alone applications, would be installed in
    > whichever copies of eligible editing software is installed on the
    > user's computer. Nothing would change.
    >
    > For example, I use the NIK suite, and when it installs the plug-ins, it
    > places them where they fit. In my case CS5. CS6, LR4, & PSE9. If I
    > subscribed to the CC, I would like to believe that they would install
    > without issue.
    >
    > As for development, I am sure that most of the plug-in publishers have
    > working arrangements with Adobe.


    I really don't understand where people are getting the notion that CC
    runs on Adobe's servers. If Adobe is going to be providing enough
    server-power and bandwidth to support CS6 with the same performance
    level as a quad-core local PC they are going to have to charge a Hell of
    a lot more than $50 a month.
     
    J. Clarke, Jun 6, 2013
    #7
  8. nospam

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/6/2013 7:08 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-06-06 15:30:00 -0700, "J. Clarke" <> said:
    >
    >> In article <2013060611493030337-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
    >> savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com says...
    >>>
    >>> On 2013-06-06 11:16:29 -0700, PeterN <> said:
    >>>
    >>>> On 6/6/2013 11:28 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> <snip>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Lightroom & PSE are not currently on the subscription hit list, so for
    >>>>> now sales from vendors other than Adobe will continue as usual. As to
    >>>>> how Amazon and other vendors sell at lower prices than Adobe's retail
    >>>>> set prices, they obviously make wholesale arrangements/deals with
    >>>>> those
    >>>>> vendors.
    >>>>> As to the CC, all vendors will eventually loose out, and will not have
    >>>>> any of the Creative Suite products to sell.
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> I'm not sure what effect this will have on the plug-in publishers.
    >>>> One side of me say they will fill in a lot of the gaps between
    >>>> Essentials and CC. The other side says that I'm not certain they will
    >>>> be able to continue development of seamless plug-ins for CC.
    >>>
    >>> I don't see why the plug-in publishers would have any difficulty at all.
    >>> The CC edition of Photoshop is downloaded to, and installed on the
    >>> subscriber's computer where it runs. The separately purchased plug-ins,
    >>> some of which are stand-alone applications, would be installed in
    >>> whichever copies of eligible editing software is installed on the
    >>> user's computer. Nothing would change.
    >>>
    >>> For example, I use the NIK suite, and when it installs the plug-ins, it
    >>> places them where they fit. In my case CS5. CS6, LR4, & PSE9. If I
    >>> subscribed to the CC, I would like to believe that they would install
    >>> without issue.
    >>>
    >>> As for development, I am sure that most of the plug-in publishers have
    >>> working arrangements with Adobe.

    >>
    >> I really don't understand where people are getting the notion that CC
    >> runs on Adobe's servers. If Adobe is going to be providing enough
    >> server-power and bandwidth to support CS6 with the same performance
    >> level as a quad-core local PC they are going to have to charge a Hell of
    >> a lot more than $50 a month.

    >
    > Yup!
    > All Adobe is doing with the CC is providing the subscriber with a
    > download of their rental optimized software. That software runs on the
    > subscriber's computer as it has always done in the past, with the
    > exception that it calls home to check that the rent has been paid.
    >


    And what happens if I have no Internet connection?


    --
    PeterN
     
    PeterN, Jun 7, 2013
    #8
  9. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <51b11b4a$0$10766$-secrets.com>, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    > And what happens if I have no Internet connection?


    depends for how long. it will work for up to 30 days for monthly
    subscribers and up to 99 days for yearly subscribers without an
    internet connection.
     
    nospam, Jun 7, 2013
    #9
  10. nospam

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Thursday, June 6, 2013 4:28:08 PM UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-06-06 05:52:31 -0700, Whisky-dave <> said:
    >
    >
    >
    > > On Thursday, June 6, 2013 1:44:19 AM UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:

    >
    >
    >
    > >> I still recommend test driving Lightroom 4 to use with your copy of CS3.

    >
    > >> You might even find less need for anymore than the occasional use of CS3.

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >> Here is a brief overview of some of the develop capabilities of

    >
    > >> Lightroom 4 by Julieanne Kost;

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >> <

    >
    > >> http://tv.adobe.com/watch/getting-s...ightroom-4/lightroom-4-create-stunning-images

    >
    >
    >
    > The
    >
    > >>

    >
    > >> trial download link:

    >
    > >> < https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=photoshop_lightroom >

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >> ...and if you decide to buy, check with Amazon, as they have much

    >
    > >> better prices than Adobe direct.

    >
    > >

    >
    > > Poor amazon will lose out come the subscription method. ;-(

    >
    > > Makes me wonder how can amazon sell cheaper than Adobe can.

    >
    >
    >
    > Lightroom & PSE are not currently on the subscription hit list, so for
    >
    > now sales from vendors other than Adobe will continue as usual. As to
    >
    > how Amazon and other vendors sell at lower prices than Adobe's retail
    >
    > set prices, they obviously make wholesale arrangements/deals with those
    >
    > vendors.


    So they are willing to make less money on each product sold if it suites them.
    In some ways there are letting market forces set the price, but with subscription Adobe set the price.


    >
    > As to the CC, all vendors will eventually loose out, and will not have
    >
    > any of the Creative Suite products to sell.


    It'll be intresting to see if Adobe actualy gain[1] through this method or will they lose out.



    [1] where gain is basically make bigger profits in whatever way it's mesured.
     
    Whisky-dave, Jun 7, 2013
    #10
  11. nospam

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/6/2013 7:57 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-06-06 16:29:13 -0700, PeterN <> said:
    >
    >> On 6/6/2013 7:08 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    >>> On 2013-06-06 15:30:00 -0700, "J. Clarke" <> said:
    >>>
    >>>> In article <2013060611493030337-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
    >>>> savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com says...
    >>>>>
    >>>>> On 2013-06-06 11:16:29 -0700, PeterN <>
    >>>>> said:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> On 6/6/2013 11:28 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> <snip>
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> Lightroom & PSE are not currently on the subscription hit list,
    >>>>>>> so for
    >>>>>>> now sales from vendors other than Adobe will continue as usual.
    >>>>>>> As to
    >>>>>>> how Amazon and other vendors sell at lower prices than Adobe's
    >>>>>>> retail
    >>>>>>> set prices, they obviously make wholesale arrangements/deals with
    >>>>>>> those
    >>>>>>> vendors.
    >>>>>>> As to the CC, all vendors will eventually loose out, and will not
    >>>>>>> have
    >>>>>>> any of the Creative Suite products to sell.
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> I'm not sure what effect this will have on the plug-in publishers.
    >>>>>> One side of me say they will fill in a lot of the gaps between
    >>>>>> Essentials and CC. The other side says that I'm not certain they
    >>>>>> will
    >>>>>> be able to continue development of seamless plug-ins for CC.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I don't see why the plug-in publishers would have any difficulty at
    >>>>> all.
    >>>>> The CC edition of Photoshop is downloaded to, and installed on the
    >>>>> subscriber's computer where it runs. The separately purchased
    >>>>> plug-ins,
    >>>>> some of which are stand-alone applications, would be installed in
    >>>>> whichever copies of eligible editing software is installed on the
    >>>>> user's computer. Nothing would change.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> For example, I use the NIK suite, and when it installs the
    >>>>> plug-ins, it
    >>>>> places them where they fit. In my case CS5. CS6, LR4, & PSE9. If I
    >>>>> subscribed to the CC, I would like to believe that they would install
    >>>>> without issue.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> As for development, I am sure that most of the plug-in publishers have
    >>>>> working arrangements with Adobe.
    >>>>
    >>>> I really don't understand where people are getting the notion that CC
    >>>> runs on Adobe's servers. If Adobe is going to be providing enough
    >>>> server-power and bandwidth to support CS6 with the same performance
    >>>> level as a quad-core local PC they are going to have to charge a
    >>>> Hell of
    >>>> a lot more than $50 a month.
    >>>
    >>> Yup!
    >>> All Adobe is doing with the CC is providing the subscriber with a
    >>> download of their rental optimized software. That software runs on the
    >>> subscriber's computer as it has always done in the past, with the
    >>> exception that it calls home to check that the rent has been paid.
    >>>

    >>
    >> And what happens if I have no Internet connection?

    >
    > Then how did you download it in the first place?
    >
    > I believe for the monthly subscribers there will be a call home at
    > sometime in the 30 day period. For annual subscribers the call home is
    > once in a 90 day period. If contact isn't made, I understand a 10 day
    > grace period goes into effect.
    >
    > The CC software will attempt to call home when you open it, and in the
    > startup routine determines that the call should be made. All the calls
    > home are initiated by the installed software, not by an Adobe server
    > pinging your computer.
    >
    > Basically, if you have any CC software installed on your laptop, and you
    > travel to a location where you cannot make an internet connection the
    > software will still run. If at anytime in that period it attempts to
    > call home and cannot, the grace period is initiated.
    >


    I was asking a legitimate question. There are times when I have no
    Internet connection when traveling. I certainly will not plan my trips
    around a CC schedule. I do like, and would use some of the new features
    in CC, but for me license verification is certainly not something I want
    to be concerned about on a trip. Therefore, I owuld have to keep CS6 on
    my laptop. As I have said before, I don't do my final serious work on my
    laptop, just file transfer from the card, discard the obvious, and rough
    editing.


    --
    PeterN
     
    PeterN, Jun 7, 2013
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. nospam

    Re: Adobe - Photoshop and their "Subscriptions"

    nospam, Jun 4, 2013, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    194
    nospam
    Jun 4, 2013
  2. nospam

    Re: Adobe - Photoshop and their "Subscriptions"

    nospam, Jun 4, 2013, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    221
    luxitman
    Jul 3, 2013
  3. philo 

    Re: Adobe - Photoshop and their "Subscriptions"

    philo , Jun 4, 2013, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    278
    nospam
    Jun 5, 2013
  4. PeterN

    Re: Adobe - Photoshop and their "Subscriptions"

    PeterN, Jun 5, 2013, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    199
    PeterN
    Jun 5, 2013
  5. Paul Ciszek

    Re: Adobe - Photoshop and their "Subscriptions"

    Paul Ciszek, Jun 5, 2013, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    340
    Views:
    2,252
    Wolfgang Weisselberg
    Jul 4, 2013
Loading...

Share This Page