Re: address violation on cisco switch - conflicting documentation??

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Kevin Widner, Sep 14, 2004.

  1. Kevin  Widner

    Kevin Widner Guest

    Both of those statements are true. And the switch will react according
    to configuration to a port violation by either shutting down that port
    administratively, or restricting traffic to the mac address causing the
    violation.

    I've read conflicting information in cisco documentation about when a
    switch thinks that there is a mac adderss violation on one of its
    ports that its 'sticky' learning for.

    what I've read is this two different thingns.

    1. port security violation occurs when a switch port tries to learn
    beyond its address table size which is specified by mac-mac-count
    2. port security violation occuers when a switch port (secured)
    received a source address that has been assigned to another secured
    port on a switch.

    address offcourse here means mac address since its all L2.
    anyone care to post their findings?

    Kevin Widner, Sep 14, 2004