Re: Addition of ".home" to the range of sub-domains available in NZ

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Steve, Jul 27, 2003.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Lennier allegedly said:

    > What do you think about adding ".home" to the currently available list of
    > sub-domains ".net", ".co", ".org" etc?
    >
    > That way when affordable broadband arrives here in NZ people will be able
    > to get a domain name that would be more suited to domestic use.
    >
    > Whaddya think?
    >
    > Lennier

    ..gen.nz is meant for this.

    But I'm not worried. Go for it. :)

    --
    Steve

    Steve, Jul 27, 2003

  2. Steve

    Ewen McNeill Guest

    In article <pan.2003.07.28.06.56.53.519204@TRACKER>,
    Lennier <> wrote:
    >How should one go about getting ".home" added to the range of subdomains
    >available under the ".nz" domain?

    Apply to the DNC (domain name commissioner) for it to be added as a 2nd
    level domain. See:

    http://www.dnc.org.nz/

    for more details (although I haven't been able to find a "apply here"
    page there quickly -- perhaps you could try some of the "contact us"
    details first).

    FWIW, AFAIK applications for new 2nd level domains are still suspended
    (and have been for the last 6-7 months) pending the outcome of a review
    of the 2nd level domain policy for the NZ DNS.

    Be warned that, at least with the existing policy, it takes something
    like 6 months of discussion and several votes before a new 2nd level
    domain is added -- and there is a payment of a fairly sizeable amount
    of money to cover the costs of considering the new 2nd level domain --
    and only two proposals have made it all the way through in the past
    several years (maori.nz and just recently geek.nz).

    Finally you might want to consider whether the new geek.nz
    (registrations start in August IIRC) might be an appropriate alternative
    to home.nz. Especially considering having a domain for your home is a
    pretty geeky thing to do :)

    Ewen

    --
    Ewen McNeill,

    Ewen McNeill, Jul 28, 2003

  3. Steve

    Enkidu Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 21:30:42 +1200, Lennier
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 20:27:11 +1200, Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >>>How should one go about getting ".home" added to the range of subdomains
    >>>available under the ".nz" domain?
    >>>
    >>>What process is needed? Who should one speak with? What is involved?
    >>>

    >> You picked the wrong time. There is currently a freeze on applications
    >> for new names of this sort.

    >Why?
    >

    >> More info here.....
    >>
    >> http://www.dnc.org.nz/

    >Thanks for the URL...
    >
    >What is a "zone push"?

    Mm? Where did you see that? I guess it's the opposite of a zone
    transfer. It would be useful where a eg co.nz server is updated and
    needs to ensure that all the other co.nz server needs to be update
    ASAP.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jul 29, 2003
  4. Steve

    Mark Harris Guest

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 20:24:24 +1200, Enkidu <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 21:30:42 +1200, Lennier
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>What is a "zone push"?
    >>

    >Mm? Where did you see that? I guess it's the opposite of a zone
    >transfer. It would be useful where a eg co.nz server is updated and
    >needs to ensure that all the other co.nz server needs to be update
    >ASAP.

    The zone push is the term that NZRS uses to indicate a refresh of the
    authoritative nameservers to include changes to the register.

    cheers

    mark
    --
    "Someone's been mean to you! Tell me who it is, so I can punch him tastefully."
    - Ralph Bakshi's Mighty Mouse

    Mark Harris, Jul 29, 2003
  5. Steve

    Lennier Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 08:57:29 +0000, Ewen McNeill wrote:

    > Finally you might want to consider whether the new geek.nz (registrations
    > start in August IIRC) might be an appropriate alternative to home.nz.
    > Especially considering having a domain for your home is a pretty geeky
    > thing to do :)

    My internal LAN is already using ".home" as it's top level domain name.

    It just seemed to me that ".home.nz" would be more user-friendly for
    people who were wanting their own domain name for private use - you
    know, for example "".

    Lennier

    --
    I specifically DENY Xtra, and Telecom NZ Ltd, and all other subsidiaries
    of Telecom NZ Ltd, the right to use the contents of this digital

    Lennier, Nov 21, 2003
  6. Steve

    Lennier Guest

    Re: Addition of ".home" to the range of sub-domains available in NZ

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 20:27:11 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

    >>How should one go about getting ".home" added to the range of subdomains
    >>available under the ".nz" domain?
    >>
    >>What process is needed? Who should one speak with? What is involved?
    >>

    > You picked the wrong time. There is currently a freeze on applications
    > for new names of this sort.

    Why?

    > More info here.....
    >
    > http://www.dnc.org.nz/