Re: Addition of ".home" to the range of sub-domains available in NZ

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rupert, Jul 27, 2003.

  1. Rupert

    Rupert Guest

    why on earth do we even ned sub domains, country suffixes and the like?

    a DNS table is basically a list of IP addresses and a text string that we
    use as a 'friendly name' thats easier to remember.

    why can't we just have something like ruperts-fantastic-website as a domain
    name rather than having to suffix all the .co.nz or similar stuff

    while i can see that using the suffixes allows for an increase of names -
    ruperts-fantastic-website.com, ruperts-fantastic-website.co.nz etc there
    should still be plenty of scope for variety

    imho .com .net .co.nz etc are rather anachronistic these days and should be
    dropped, or if nothing else there should be no constraints on any one
    choosing what they want

    Rupert, Jul 27, 2003

  2. Rupert

    Enkidu Guest

    Well, basically, so that we can break up the names into a hierarchy.
    The root nameservers in the States have an entry for nz. This entry
    points to the .nz nameservers (strangely enough). These nameservers
    contain all names at that level, eg .co.nz, .org.nz and so on. These
    entries point at the nameservers which are authoratative for the next
    level, eg paradise.net.nz, actix.co.nz, xtra.co.nz. Each these servers
    contains all the domain information for their own Domains.

    Say you allow ruperts-fantastic-website.nz. This would have the
    following effect. The .nz nameservers would have to have entries for
    that Domain, and this would vastly increase the load on the Name
    Servers. Having an intermediate level reduces the load on the .nz name
    servers, sharing it out to the .org.nz, .co.nz and other servers. Also
    shared out is the maintenance and paperwork. With only one level all
    adds, changes and deletes of Domain Names would have to go through the
    ..nz nameservers. (Not including the trivial changes like changing IPs
    and other records).

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jul 27, 2003

  3. Rupert

    Steve Guest

    Rupert allegedly said:

    > why on earth do we even ned sub domains, country suffixes and the like?

    It speeds processing. A nice, tidy hierarchy will allow for faster DNS
    service.

    I vote function over form every time. Domain names are easier to remember
    than IP numbers....but having done that, keeping domain names 'regular'
    speeds processing and makes it easier to decipher messy handwriting and
    typos. :)

    --
    Steve
    Steve, Jul 27, 2003
  4. Rupert

    Enkidu Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:22:54 +1200, Steve <> wrote:

    >Rupert allegedly said:
    >
    >> why on earth do we even ned sub domains, country suffixes and the like?

    >It speeds processing. A nice, tidy hierarchy will allow for faster DNS
    >service.
    >
    >I vote function over form every time. Domain names are easier to remember
    >than IP numbers....but having done that, keeping domain names 'regular'
    >speeds processing and makes it easier to decipher messy handwriting and
    >typos. :)

    Ooh! A disciple of the Bauhaus movement no less....

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jul 28, 2003