Re: adding wireless to a wired network

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by AG, Jan 8, 2005.

  1. AG

    AG Guest

    "Drew" <> wrote in message

    > Hi All:
    >
    > I'm getting ready to add a wireless hotspot to an existing wired
    > network at a library. No file sharing is done on the wired network.
    > Its basically Internet and printing only. The wired network has a
    > DHCP server. Everything works well with the network as it is.
    >
    > The library wants to offer a wireless hotspot but at the same time
    > they do not want the existing DHCP server to dole out the IP addresses
    > to the notebooks and wireless devices that patrons will bring in.
    > They would like to keep the DHCP server as only showing and assigning
    > IP addresses for the library's own computers. This adds some extra
    > security by keeping the wireless devices isolated to their own
    > network. That should help keep any viruses or worms from jumping from
    > the wireless to the wired network (which is clean).
    >
    > So, I think what I need is a Wireless Access Point that has an
    > embedded DHCP server. And I would need to set the embedded DHCP
    > server to hand out IP addresses on a different subnet. That is, the
    > existing wired network is using 192.168.0.x network and I would want
    > the wireless network I'm adding to use 192.168.1.x.
    >
    > The wireless access point itself would just be connected to the wired
    > network and receive its IP addy from the existing DHCP server.
    >
    > Is my thinking straight on this? Can anyone recommend a wireless
    > access point that has an embedded DHCP server that will allow me to
    > change the IP range that is handed out?
    >
    > I'd definitely appreciate any thoughts, feedback or recommendations!
    >
    > Drew

    Make sure that whatever you buy is a wireless router and it should do it for
    you.
    A second thing that you can do is to buy an AP and put a wired router
    between it and the other network with it giving DHCP to the wireless
    devices. The AP and it's router can be put on their own private IP range
    that way. The second way is really harder and more expensive than the
    first.

    AG

    AG, Jan 8, 2005

  2. AG

    Guest

    AG wrote:
    > "Drew" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Hi All:
    > >
    > > I'm getting ready to add a wireless hotspot to an existing wired
    > > network at a library. No file sharing is done on the wired

    network.
    > > Its basically Internet and printing only. The wired network has a
    > > DHCP server. Everything works well with the network as it is.
    > >
    > > The library wants to offer a wireless hotspot but at the same time
    > > they do not want the existing DHCP server to dole out the IP

    addresses
    > > to the notebooks and wireless devices that patrons will bring in.
    > > They would like to keep the DHCP server as only showing and

    assigning
    > > IP addresses for the library's own computers. This adds some extra
    > > security by keeping the wireless devices isolated to their own
    > > network. That should help keep any viruses or worms from jumping

    from
    > > the wireless to the wired network (which is clean).
    > >
    > > So, I think what I need is a Wireless Access Point that has an
    > > embedded DHCP server. And I would need to set the embedded DHCP
    > > server to hand out IP addresses on a different subnet. That is,

    the
    > > existing wired network is using 192.168.0.x network and I would

    want
    > > the wireless network I'm adding to use 192.168.1.x.
    > >
    > > The wireless access point itself would just be connected to the

    wired
    > > network and receive its IP addy from the existing DHCP server.
    > >
    > > Is my thinking straight on this? Can anyone recommend a wireless
    > > access point that has an embedded DHCP server that will allow me to
    > > change the IP range that is handed out?
    > >
    > > I'd definitely appreciate any thoughts, feedback or

    recommendations!

    > > Drew
    > >

    > Make sure that whatever you buy is a wireless router and it should do

    it for
    > you.
    > A second thing that you can do is to buy an AP and put a wired router

    > between it and the other network with it giving DHCP to the wireless
    > devices. The AP and it's router can be put on their own private IP

    range
    > that way. The second way is really harder and more expensive than

    the
    > first.
    >
    > AG

    Placing a "off the shelf" router is not a good idea. The seperation of
    the networks will not be accomplished that well. A client from the
    wireless side could ping a PC on the wired LAN. Best bet is to have the
    Internet connection go to a router that will seperate the networks into
    seperate subnets.

    Look into IPCop. You could replace the existing firewall (or cheap
    Linksys router doing DHCP, if thats the case), with an IPCop box. Its
    designed for seperating wireless networks from wired networks. You set
    it up so one interface is for the WAN, one for the wired LAN, and one
    for the wireless. IPcop does DHCP also.

    If you have a MS based server currently, you can add a third network
    card, set it up on another subnet, and add a second DHCP scope.

    , Jan 9, 2005

  3. AG

    Guest

    ok, here we go.

    Access point w/ embedded DHCP server = wireless router.

    if you set it up like this

    internet---->router/server----->wired
    LAN------Router/AP------->wireless LAN

    Then the PCs on the wireless lan can still see and ping and exploit the
    wired LAN.

    What you need to do is:

    /-----------Wireless Lan
    Internet----------router<
    \-----------Wired LAN

    This can best be accomplished with a) and expensive server, b) an
    expensive router, or c) an IPCop box running on a discarded PC

    , Jan 11, 2005
  4. AG

    Euan Laing Guest

    Drew wrote:
    > I was thinking that I could just get an access point that also had an
    > embedded DHCP server. Then, I could set the AP to assign IP addresses
    > to just wireless devices (that's all that would connect to the
    > wireless access point) and to assign addresses in a different network
    > from what the wired network uses. That way, wireless PCs would be
    > able to access the Internet thru the access point but shouldn't be
    > able to see the individual computers on the wired side. Wouldn't that
    > work?
    >
    > I guess I'm getting confused on whether I need a wireless router or a
    > wireless access point, or even both.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Drew
    >

    > On 8 Jan 2005 17:01:50 -0800, wrote:

    You really need a wireless router if you are going to have 2 different
    subnets. Also make sure that your second subnet uses class B or C
    network address to avoid the problem of double NATing.

    Euan Laing, Jan 14, 2005