Re: ADDING SECOND HDD UNDER WIN XP PROFESSIONAL

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ralph Wade Phillips, Jun 22, 2003.

  1. Howdy!

    "robert williams" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Am trying to install a second HDD under Win XP professional. the OS picks

    up
    > the HDD, but does not display the HDD in the control panel. Have set the
    > jumpers to slave for the second disk, but to no avail. the disk are both
    > Western Digital 20Gb disks.

    What do you mean, "does not display the HDD in the control panel"?
    Do you mean that it doesn't show up in the bottom right of "Disk
    Management"?

    If it doesn't, it's not there electronically.

    OTOH, if it shows up there, but no drive letter shows up,
    right-click on the drive and partition it, then format it.

    > When i tried this on a Win 9x box the disks we picked up stright away with
    > the drive letters for the Master disk being "C" and the second disk being
    > "D".

    Not quite - there's a few steps that have to occur first before it
    could be "picked up straight away". But those steps can all be done in the
    "Disk Management" plugin, and also reflect IMMEDIATELY on the Win2K machine.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jun 22, 2003