Re: adding latency on test network

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Vincent C Jones, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. In article <B0Iac.73578$>,
    mcaissie <> wrote:
    >Finaly got the solution , i had to plug the AUX back-to-back not the
    >T1.
    >http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/793/access_dial/auxback.html
    >
    >"mcaissie" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi ,
    >>
    >> I would like to simulate internet latency between a client-server
    >> application.
    >> (adding 200ms)
    >>
    >> I tried putting 2 routers back-to-back between them but the only thing

    >> have
    >> available is two 1720 with a T1 module . And it does not add much
    >> latency.
    >> I look in the available serial interface command , there is a delay
    >> command but
    >> the max delay is about 2 ms .
    >>
    >> Does anyone have an idea on how to accomplish my goal ?
    >>
    >> thanks

    Be careful, as your solution is not an accurate emulation ... minimum
    sized packets (typical acknowledgements) will see more than an order
    of magnitude less delay than maximum (MTU limited) sized packets. If
    this makes a difference in your application, consider setting up a
    NistNet test box which will allow you to simulate a wide range of
    delay, bandwidth and error conditions. Requires an old PC, linux,
    and the free NistNet software available from NIST.

    Good luck and have fun!
    http://www.networkingunlimited.com

    Vincent C Jones, Apr 1, 2004

  2. Vincent C Jones

    mcaissie Guest

    > Be careful, as your solution is not an accurate emulation ... minimum
    > sized packets (typical acknowledgements) will see more than an order
    > of magnitude less delay than maximum (MTU limited) sized packets. If
    > this makes a difference in your application, consider setting up a
    > NistNet test box which will allow you to simulate a wide range of
    > delay, bandwidth and error conditions. Requires an old PC, linux,
    > and the free NistNet software available from NIST.
    >
    > Good luck and have fun!
    > --
    > Vincent C Jones, Consultant Expert advice and a helping hand
    > Networking Unlimited, Inc. for those who want to manage and
    > Tenafly, NJ Phone: 201 568-7810 control their networking destiny
    > http://www.networkingunlimited.com

    Thanks ,

    I am checking other products like Shunra/Cloud to have a better internet
    emulation ,
    i'll give a look at NistNet

    mcaissie, Apr 1, 2004

  3. Vincent C Jones

    shope Guest

    "Vincent C Jones" <> wrote in message
    > In article <B0Iac.73578$>,
    > mcaissie <> wrote:
    > >Finaly got the solution , i had to plug the AUX back-to-back not the
    > >T1.
    > >http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/793/access_dial/auxback.html
    > >
    > >"mcaissie" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hi ,
    > >>
    > >> I would like to simulate internet latency between a client-server
    > >> application.
    > >> (adding 200ms)
    > >>
    > >> I tried putting 2 routers back-to-back between them but the only

    thing
    > >> have
    > >> available is two 1720 with a T1 module . And it does not add much
    > >> latency.
    > >> I look in the available serial interface command , there is a delay
    > >> command but
    > >> the max delay is about 2 ms .
    > >>
    > >> Does anyone have an idea on how to accomplish my goal ?
    > >>
    > >> thanks

    > Be careful, as your solution is not an accurate emulation ... minimum
    > sized packets (typical acknowledgements) will see more than an order
    > of magnitude less delay than maximum (MTU limited) sized packets. If
    > this makes a difference in your application, consider setting up a
    > NistNet test box which will allow you to simulate a wide range of
    > delay, bandwidth and error conditions. Requires an old PC, linux,
    > and the free NistNet software available from NIST.

    or if you want a box off the shelf, vocality make a delay simulator
    originally designed for satellite links - just dial the delay you want up to
    2 sec.
    http://www.vocality.com/site_pages/products/satellitesimulator.htm

    same box can also inject various errors as well.

    > Good luck and have fun!
    > --
    > Vincent C Jones, Consultant Expert advice and a helping hand
    > Networking Unlimited, Inc. for those who want to manage and
    > Tenafly, NJ Phone: 201 568-7810 control their networking destiny
    > http://www.networkingunlimited.com

    --
    Regards

    shope, Apr 1, 2004