Re: AdAware vs. Malwarebytes

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 23, 2009.

  1. Devil's Advocate wrote:

    > I've been using AdAware for some time, but just the free version, not
    > the real time thing.
    >
    > But this past couple weeks, my web service slowed down really badly.
    > I ran AdAware and only found and deleted a few tracking cookies.
    > Whooppee.
    >
    > But it continued, so I asked my ISP and they said to try
    > Malwarebytes, that it was good.
    >
    > I downloaded and tried the free version and it found about 15 things,
    > deleted them, and now my web service is fast again.
    >
    > Is Malwarebytes that much better than AdAware, or just different?

    They are two different kinds of programs. Ad-Aware looks for, well,
    advertisement stuff. MalwareBytes looks for real malware.

    If Ad-Aware is giving you problems, uninstall it. I think it has
    outlived its usefulness.

    Look into SUPERAntiSpyware as well.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 23, 2009

  2. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    Buffalo Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > They are two different kinds of programs. Ad-Aware looks for, well,
    > advertisement stuff. MalwareBytes looks for real malware.
    >
    > If Ad-Aware is giving you problems, uninstall it. I think it has
    > outlived its usefulness.
    >
    > Look into SUPERAntiSpyware as well.

    Damn good advice, Shagnasty!
    Buffalo
    Buffalo, Dec 23, 2009

  3. Buffalo wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> They are two different kinds of programs. Ad-Aware looks for, well,
    >> advertisement stuff. MalwareBytes looks for real malware.
    >>
    >> If Ad-Aware is giving you problems, uninstall it. I think it has
    >> outlived its usefulness.
    >>
    >> Look into SUPERAntiSpyware as well.

    > Damn good advice, Shagnasty!

    Thenk ewe.

    --
    -bts
    -We aim to please
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 23, 2009
  4. Devil's Advocate wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote :
    >> Thenk ewe.

    > That's what the guy up in Wyoming said. LOL

    You know why cowboys tuck their jeans inside their boots, right?

    --
    -"That's a joke... I say, that's a joke, son".
    -Foghorn Leghorn
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 23, 2009
  5. Devil's Advocate wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote :
    >> Devil's Advocate wrote:
    >>>
    >>> That's what the guy up in Wyoming said. LOL

    >> You know why cowboys tuck their jeans inside their boots, right?

    > Uh uh. :)
    >
    > But Wyoming is where men are men and sheep are nervous, and they sing
    > "I only have eyes for ewe...".

    I always heard that was Montana... ;-)

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 23, 2009