  1. Snit

    Snit Guest

    "Sarah Houston" <> stated in post
    Xns9A95BDB48CB2SntzldfrdSntzldfrdco@216.196.97.142 on 5/5/08 12:09 AM:

    > Can running the free versions of these two programs at the same time (
    > keeping them running in my system ) cause hangs or conflicts?

    I used to use Adaware and Spybot and AVG for myself and my clients... have
    now gone to just Spybot and AVG - and have no significant problems.

    With that said you should be able to run Adaware and Spybot on the same
    machine with no real problems. I would not run their scans at the same time
    though.

    --
    Prescott Computer Guy: Michael Glasser
    http://prescottcomputerguy.org

    Snit, May 5, 2008

  2. On 2008-05-05, Snit <> wrote:
    > "Sarah Houston" <> stated in post
    > Xns9A95BDB48CB2SntzldfrdSntzldfrdco@216.196.97.142 on 5/5/08 12:09 AM:
    >
    >> Can running the free versions of these two programs at the same time (
    >> keeping them running in my system ) cause hangs or conflicts?
    >>

    > I used to use Adaware and Spybot and AVG for myself and my clients... have
    > now gone to just Spybot and AVG - and have no significant problems.
    >
    > With that said you should be able to run Adaware and Spybot on the same
    > machine with no real problems. I would not run their scans at the same time
    > though.

    My Ultimate desktop is using that configuration with no issues. S&D
    does a great job pointing out registry changes. AVG works great for
    checking emails and such, and AdAware picks up the rest of the crap.
    Of course, the best AV/Firewall is
    a) A NAT router
    b) Windows Firewall (for incoming)
    c) Zone Alarm (for outgoing)
    d) Common sense.

    --
    * I am the walrus. *
    * RLU 451587 *

    I_Am_The_Walrus, May 6, 2008

  3. Snit

    Snit Guest

    "I_Am_The_Walrus" <I_Am_The_Walrus@will_f_uup.invalid> stated in post
    481fa111$0$4082$ on 5/5/08 5:06 PM:

    > On 2008-05-05, Snit <> wrote:
    >> "Sarah Houston" <> stated in post
    >> Xns9A95BDB48CB2SntzldfrdSntzldfrdco@216.196.97.142 on 5/5/08 12:09 AM:
    >>
    >>> Can running the free versions of these two programs at the same time (
    >>> keeping them running in my system ) cause hangs or conflicts?
    >>>

    >> I used to use Adaware and Spybot and AVG for myself and my clients... have
    >> now gone to just Spybot and AVG - and have no significant problems.
    >>
    >> With that said you should be able to run Adaware and Spybot on the same
    >> machine with no real problems. I would not run their scans at the same time
    >> though.
    >>

    > My Ultimate desktop is using that configuration with no issues. S&D
    > does a great job pointing out registry changes. AVG works great for
    > checking emails and such, and AdAware picks up the rest of the crap.
    > Of course, the best AV/Firewall is
    > a) A NAT router
    > b) Windows Firewall (for incoming)
    > c) Zone Alarm (for outgoing)
    > d) Common sense.

    I tend not to use ZoneAlarm with most of my customers - it works great when
    you know what you are doing but for Joe User it is a pain to have to select
    what items to allow or (rarely) disallow as you use your computer. Many of
    my clients who look to me to have me set up their desktops are not
    particularly computer savvy (hence the reason they look to me or others to
    help them with their computing needs).

    And as far as common sense, of course... but what is "common sense" to those
    of us in the industry is baffling to those not in the industry.

    Snit, May 6, 2008