Re: Adaptor for a Nikkor lens to a Canon EOS 50D

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by J. Clarke, Apr 8, 2012.

  1. J. Clarke

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <>, a3a8836
    @webnntp.invalid says...

    > I have a Canon 50D with the EFS 17 to 55 mm f/2.8 lens. I have an Nikkor
    > 55mm f1.2 lens from the old days and was wondering if there is an adapter
    > ring I could use to put it on my Canon. I assume that the auto focus
    > wouldn't work and aperture control as well. I also know that the lens
    > probably wouldn't be the same focal length as a 55mm lens on my old Nikon
    > Ftn.
    >
    > Any advice and information would be appreciated.

    One of the benefits of the Canon EF mount is that nearly all other
    manufacturers' lenses can be used on it with suitable adapters.

    <http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Mount-Adapter-Camera-
    Digital/dp/B001G4QXLE>.

    A 55mm lens is a 55mm lens, its focal lenght doesn't change because it's
    mounted on a different body.
    J. Clarke, Apr 8, 2012

  2. J. Clarke

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 7 Apr 2012 21:39:36 -0400, "J. Clarke" <> wrote:
    : In article <>, a3a8836
    : @webnntp.invalid says...
    : >
    :
    : One of the benefits of the Canon EF mount is that nearly all other
    : manufacturers' lenses can be used on it with suitable adapters.
    :
    : <http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Mount-Adapter-Camera-
    : Digital/dp/B001G4QXLE>.
    :
    : A 55mm lens is a 55mm lens, its focal lenght doesn't change because it's
    : mounted on a different body.

    In other words, the field of view of your 55mm Nikkor lens will be the same as
    that of the long end of your 17-55. Wide open, it will give you very low depth
    of field. Which means it will be hard to focus with sufficient accuracy in low
    light. But since you already have the 17-55, there's not much reason to use
    the Nikkor except wide open in low light.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Apr 8, 2012

  3. Hollis2 <> wrote:
    > On Apr 8 2012 8:19 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
    >> On Sat, 7 Apr 2012 21:39:36 -0400, "J. Clarke" <> wrote:
    >> : In article <>, a3a8836

    >> : > I have a Canon 50D with the EFS 17 to 55 mm f/2.8 lens. I have an Nikkor
    >> : > 55mm f1.2 lens from the old days and was wondering if there is an adapter
    >> : > ring I could use to put it on my Canon. I assume that the auto focus

    [...]

    > I do a lot of indoor natural light photography and I'm sure that three
    > extra stops will come in handy. Besides, $14 it's not much of an
    > investment. I assume that I will have to use the Canon on full manual
    > with auto focus off?

    AF is switched on/off at the lens (or adapter): nothing to
    worry about.

    You cannot do full auto, since the camera cannot change the
    aperture, but your can let the camera set the exposure time
    (and ISO, of course)

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Apr 11, 2012