Re: ad aware??

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Patrick Michael, Jun 6, 2004.

  1. "SBFan2000" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Is this a good program?? I bot major wierdness here and comp is free of
    > viruses. Thinking ad/spyware.

    A lot of people say Spybot is the better program, but in reality, you should
    probably run both. Ad aware has a much more friendly interface, but
    Spybot's isn't bad. I'd just run them both once a week or so.

    Also look into getting a good firewall..even ZoneAlarm will do. It will
    alert you if any suspicious program is trying to access the internet. I
    don't know how many times I've clicked on a website, and the next thing I
    know ZoneAlarm is telling me that "blah.exe is attempting to access the
    internet." The blah.exe is usually a spyware program that automatically
    gets downloaded through a malicious ActiveX applet or javascript. Ya gotta
    watch out for those!!
    Patrick Michael, Jun 6, 2004

  2. Patrick Michael

    Rob Beattie Guest

    On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 03:12:49 -0400, "SBFan2000"
    <> wrote:

    >already have Zonealarm Professional. :)
    >

    >"Patrick Michael" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "SBFan2000" <> wrote in message
    >> > Is this a good program?? I bot major wierdness here and comp is free of
    >> > viruses. Thinking ad/spyware.

    >> A lot of people say Spybot is the better program, but in reality, you

    >should
    >> probably run both. Ad aware has a much more friendly interface, but
    >> Spybot's isn't bad. I'd just run them both once a week or so.
    >>
    >> Also look into getting a good firewall..even ZoneAlarm will do. It will
    >> alert you if any suspicious program is trying to access the internet. I
    >> don't know how many times I've clicked on a website, and the next thing I
    >> know ZoneAlarm is telling me that "blah.exe is attempting to access the
    >> internet." The blah.exe is usually a spyware program that automatically
    >> gets downloaded through a malicious ActiveX applet or javascript. Ya

    >gotta
    >> watch out for those!!

    A word of warning for anyone who has not heard about ZA 5, the latest
    version. Appparently it is screwing with xp systems and it might be
    better to use the last version which I believe is 4.5.
    I was about to install it on my new system but for some reason I
    thought I'd better check it out by googling and there are many posts
    from people who are a bit disgruntled.
    Rob Beattie, Jun 6, 2004

  3. Patrick Michael

    AG Guest

    "Patrick Michael" <> wrote in message

    > "SBFan2000" <> wrote in message
    > > Is this a good program?? I bot major wierdness here and comp is free of
    > > viruses. Thinking ad/spyware.

    > A lot of people say Spybot is the better program, but in reality, you

    should
    > probably run both. Ad aware has a much more friendly interface, but
    > Spybot's isn't bad. I'd just run them both once a week or so.
    >
    > Also look into getting a good firewall..even ZoneAlarm will do. It will
    > alert you if any suspicious program is trying to access the internet. I
    > don't know how many times I've clicked on a website, and the next thing I
    > know ZoneAlarm is telling me that "blah.exe is attempting to access the
    > internet." The blah.exe is usually a spyware program that automatically
    > gets downloaded through a malicious ActiveX applet or javascript. Ya

    gotta
    > watch out for those!!

    Just don't upgrade to the latest version 5 of ZA. Lots of people are having
    problems with it.
    See Fred Langa's last two articles at http://www.langa.com/ for a few of the
    recent complaints.
    AG