Re: Active Directory Problems

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Zenner, Aug 17, 2003.

  1. Zenner

    Zenner Guest

    Go to Start> Control panel> System> computer name. In full computer name it
    will say "server.domain.local" or whatever your naming convention, if it is
    part of a Domain.

    "Keith Norris" <> wrote in message
    > I am logging on to the domain and I do see the domain list under network
    > identification. However, I can't perform domain work from Server B. I
    > cannot use Active Directory User and Computers to manage domain accounts.
    > When I click Active Directory Users and Computers from Administrative

    Tools,
    > I get a dialog box saying "Naming information cannot be located because:

    The
    > server is not operational. Contact your system administrator to verify

    that
    > your domain is properly configured and is currently online." When I try

    > use Active Directory Domains and Trusts, I get a dialog box saying "The
    > configuration
    > information describing the enterprise is not available. The server is not
    > operational." How do I make it operational? I must be able to do

    something
    > to configure it properly but I don't know what that is. Do you think it

    has
    > something to do with DNS on Server B? There are no Forward and Reverse
    > Lookup Zones as far as I can tell. How do I set up DNS so it will work
    > properly? On Server A, the domain controller, I do see that there is
    > information in the Forward Lookup Zone folder so I guess it is configured
    > properly on Server A. Maybe Server B was not correctly connected to the
    > domain? What do I do to make sure Server B is correctly connected to the
    > domain and configured properly?
    >
    > Thanks Alot!
    > Keith
    >
    > PS. If it's not clear what OS I have, it is Window 2000 Server.
    >

    > "MCSE World" <> wrote in message
    > > When you logon to Server B do you have the optin to logon locally or to

    > the
    > > domain? That's a good easy way to check.
    > >
    > > Also, check your System applet. For Windows 2000, look at the Network
    > > Identification tab. For Windows Server 2003, look at the Computer Name

    > tab.
    > > The Domain field will let you know that you are in a domain. If it says
    > > Workgroup instead...well there ya go.
    > >
    > > Best,
    > > Will
    > > www.mcseworld.com
    > >
    > > "Keith Norris" <> wrote in message
    > > > I am starting to study for the 215 exam but I haven't taken 210 yet or

    > any
    > > > of the other in the track. I am new to the server-networking side of

    > the
    > > > fence. I am a developer. Anyway, I have two computers at home that I

    > > want
    > > > to use as a lab for my study work. One computer is a domain

    controller
    > > > (Server A) and the other computer is a member server (Server B)

    > hopefully.
    > > > The domain is called Domain. Both computers were domain controllers

    at
    > > one
    > > > time but I ran the dcpromo tool to bring Server B down to a member

    > server.
    > > > I'm hoping Server B went to a member server and is on the domain

    Domain
    > > and
    > > > not a member of a workgroup. I'm pretty sure it is not in a workgroup
    > > > because when I go to My Network Places and view the entire network and

    > > then
    > > > click Workgroup, I do not see Server B, however, if I click Domain, I

    > see
    > > > Server A and Server B. I guess this is telling me that Server B is on

    > the
    > > > Domain domain and not the Workgroup? Is there any other way to

    confirm
    > > this
    > > > (maybe through the control panel)? I installed the Adminpak on Server

    > > but
    > > > I cannot use Active Directory User and Computers to manage domain

    > > accounts.
    > > > When I click Active Directory Users and Computers from Administrative

    > > Tools,
    > > > I get a dialog box saying "Naming information cannot be located

    because:
    > > The
    > > > server is not operational. Contact your system administrator to

    verify
    > > that
    > > > your domain is properly configured and is currently online." Does

    this
    > > mean
    > > > that I have to do something with DNS on Server B? I don't know

    anything
    > > > about DNS at this point. When I go to Configure your server from
    > > > Administrative Tools and then Networking, DNS, Manage, I'll see a DNS
    > > > management console with DNS in a hierarchy display. Under DNS, I see

    > > Server
    > > > B. I do not also see Server A. Should I? If I click Server B, I see

    > > > Forward Lookup Zone folder and a Reverse Lookup Zone folder. There is
    > > > nothing in the Forward or Reverse Lookup Zone folders. Should there

    be
    > > > something in either one of these folders or both? How should I

    rectify

    Zenner, Aug 17, 2003