Re-activation problem with Norton Internet Security 2004/2005/2006

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ar Q, Jun 16, 2007.

  1. Ar Q

    Ar Q Guest

    This is my computer setup. I use mobile racks to contain my harddisks, so it
    is easy to choose which drive to use. I only use one harddisk at a time
    except when I mirror the SCSI drive to an IDE drive. Normally when I do my
    programming job, I use my SCSI harddrive. It contains only safe programs and
    I only visit safe web sites using it. As I said, I copy the SCSI disk to
    inexpensive IDE disks so I can use those IDE disks to test new programs or
    visit unsafe web sites.

    But by changing between disks, even all other components in my computer are
    the same, it triggers the re-activation of Noron (Symantec) Internet
    Security. Every year I bought new versions of NIS when I bought my tax
    software. But that $10 only bought me one week or so, because after less
    than one week, it always said I used the activation keys too many times. It
    happened in 2004, 2005 and 2006. And each time I had gone back to use my NIS
    2003 which doesn't have this very annoyed activation process built-in.

    This year I also bought NIS 2007 and haven't installed it. Norton Internet
    Security 2007 seems different from the previous years' versions because it
    says 3 users license. As my one year subscription of NIS 2003 is about to
    expire, my question is that, if I manage to test only two new programs on
    two IDE drives, will Symantec stops asking me re-activate again and again?
    Or after every mirror copy, Symantec sees "different" volume numbers when I
    reformat an IDE drive and can't recognize it is the same hard drive?

    My other question is that, if this activation nightmare remains, what does
    other Anti-Virus/Firewall product have good quality and suit my computer
    setup? Thanks for your recommendation.

    Ar Q

    Ar Q, Jun 16, 2007

  2. Ar Q wrote:
    > This is my computer setup. I use mobile racks to contain my harddisks, so it
    > is easy to choose which drive to use. I only use one harddisk at a time
    > except when I mirror the SCSI drive to an IDE drive. Normally when I do my
    > programming job, I use my SCSI harddrive. It contains only safe programs and
    > I only visit safe web sites using it. As I said, I copy the SCSI disk to
    > inexpensive IDE disks so I can use those IDE disks to test new programs or
    > visit unsafe web sites.
    >
    > But by changing between disks, even all other components in my computer are
    > the same, it triggers the re-activation of Noron (Symantec) Internet
    > Security. Every year I bought new versions of NIS when I bought my tax
    > software. But that $10 only bought me one week or so, because after less
    > than one week, it always said I used the activation keys too many times. It
    > happened in 2004, 2005 and 2006. And each time I had gone back to use my NIS
    > 2003 which doesn't have this very annoyed activation process built-in.
    >
    > This year I also bought NIS 2007 and haven't installed it. Norton Internet
    > Security 2007 seems different from the previous years' versions because it
    > says 3 users license. As my one year subscription of NIS 2003 is about to
    > expire, my question is that, if I manage to test only two new programs on
    > two IDE drives, will Symantec stops asking me re-activate again and again?
    > Or after every mirror copy, Symantec sees "different" volume numbers when I
    > reformat an IDE drive and can't recognize it is the same hard drive?
    >
    > My other question is that, if this activation nightmare remains, what does
    > other Anti-Virus/Firewall product have good quality and suit my computer
    > setup? Thanks for your recommendation.

    No geek worth their salt would use NIS. Period. End of argument. I use
    Avast for antivirus and ZoneAlarm for firewall, but there's plenty of
    propeller-heads that will say those are not worth shit. So be it. I get
    along just fine with them. I'm behind a router and I don't think the NSA
    could break in, but maybe I'm just kidding myself.

    The bottom line: DUMP NORTON

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 16, 2007

  3. Ar Q

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message

    > I don't think the NSA could break in, but maybe I'm just kidding myself.

    Are "they" STILL looking for you? Dang, I'd have thought they would have
    given up by now...

    WhzzKdd, Jun 16, 2007
  4. WhzzKdd wrote:
    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I don't think the NSA could break in, but maybe I'm just kidding myself.
    >>

    > Are "they" STILL looking for you? Dang, I'd have thought they would have
    > given up by now...

    Ruth is out there, but I'm still ruthless.
    --
    Still a proud occupant of Hilbert's Hotel. An obscure reference.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 16, 2007
  5. Ar Q

    Ar Q Guest

    "Ar Q" <> wrote in message
    > This is my computer setup. I use mobile racks to contain my harddisks, so

    it
    > is easy to choose which drive to use. I only use one harddisk at a time
    > except when I mirror the SCSI drive to an IDE drive. Normally when I do my
    > programming job, I use my SCSI harddrive. It contains only safe programs

    and
    > I only visit safe web sites using it. As I said, I copy the SCSI disk to
    > inexpensive IDE disks so I can use those IDE disks to test new programs or
    > visit unsafe web sites.
    >
    > But by changing between disks, even all other components in my computer

    are
    > the same, it triggers the re-activation of Noron (Symantec) Internet
    > Security. Every year I bought new versions of NIS when I bought my tax
    > software. But that $10 only bought me one week or so, because after less
    > than one week, it always said I used the activation keys too many times.

    It
    > happened in 2004, 2005 and 2006. And each time I had gone back to use my

    NIS
    > 2003 which doesn't have this very annoyed activation process built-in.
    >
    > This year I also bought NIS 2007 and haven't installed it. Norton Internet
    > Security 2007 seems different from the previous years' versions because it
    > says 3 users license. As my one year subscription of NIS 2003 is about to
    > expire, my question is that, if I manage to test only two new programs on
    > two IDE drives, will Symantec stops asking me re-activate again and again?
    > Or after every mirror copy, Symantec sees "different" volume numbers when

    > reformat an IDE drive and can't recognize it is the same hard drive?
    >
    > My other question is that, if this activation nightmare remains, what does
    > other Anti-Virus/Firewall product have good quality and suit my computer
    > setup? Thanks for your recommendation.

    I studied their FAQ and found out that changing harddrive will indeed
    trigger the activation process because Symantec considers after changing
    motherboard or harddrive, the user needs to buy a new license. So, anyone
    knows what other antivirus product doesn't require me to buy license for
    each harddisk I own? Thanks.

    Ar Q, Jun 16, 2007
  6. Ar Q

    old man Guest

    Are these hd's data drives or full o/s drives?
    I use a mirror set up with hotswap, which I've had occassion to use and my
    current Av has not required reactivating; F-Secure
    I dumped NIS at the 2005 version after no end of problems with it
    NIS is a consumer version if you wish to persist with Symantec you would
    likely be better off with the corporate version.

    old man, Jun 16, 2007
  7. Ar Q

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > WhzzKdd wrote:
    >> "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I don't think the NSA could break in, but maybe I'm just kidding myself.
    >>>

    >> Are "they" STILL looking for you? Dang, I'd have thought they would have
    >> given up by now...

    > Ruth is out there, but I'm still ruthless.

    LOL!!!

    WhzzKdd, Jun 16, 2007
  8. Ar Q

    Ar Q Guest

    "old man" <> wrote in message
    > Are these hd's data drives or full o/s drives?

    Full OS drive.

    > I use a mirror set up with hotswap, which I've had occassion to use and my
    > current Av has not required reactivating; F-Secure
    > I dumped NIS at the 2005 version after no end of problems with it
    > NIS is a consumer version if you wish to persist with Symantec you would
    > likely be better off with the corporate version.

    I am still experimenting. Not all my mirrored IDE drives need re-activation.
    Must be weird interaction with some software installed.

    Ar Q, Jun 16, 2007
  9. Ar Q

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Ar Q" <> wrote in message

    > "old man" <> wrote in message
    >> Are these hd's data drives or full o/s drives?

    > Full OS drive.
    >
    >> I use a mirror set up with hotswap, which I've had occassion to use and
    >> my
    >> current Av has not required reactivating; F-Secure
    >> I dumped NIS at the 2005 version after no end of problems with it
    >> NIS is a consumer version if you wish to persist with Symantec you would
    >> likely be better off with the corporate version.
    >>

    > I am still experimenting. Not all my mirrored IDE drives need
    > re-activation.
    > Must be weird interaction with some software installed.

    Well there ya go! Take everything else off the drive and Norton will finally
    be happy.

    Or take Norton off and get something that is much better and easier to
    manage as well.

    WhzzKdd, Jun 16, 2007
  10. Ar Q

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 01:36:47 GMT, "Ar Q" <>
    wrote:

    >My other question is that, if this activation nightmare remains, what does
    >other Anti-Virus/Firewall product have good quality and suit my computer
    >setup? Thanks for your recommendation.

    Symantec AntiVirus (corporate) doesn't require activation.

    ZoneAlarm (basic) is quite OK though has a bug where reassigned CD/DVD
    drive letters don't stick. I use Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6.

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Jun 17, 2007