    location. Then, if you happen to need to re-activate
    the OS you can do this quickly by copying the wba.dbl
    back, overwriting the existing file.

    jfwilson, Nov 23, 2003

  2. On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 00:01:13 +1300, "jfwilson"
    <jfwilson(nospam)@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

    >Thought I would share this tweak from Atomic mgazine.
    >
    >Copy the file c:\windows\system32\wpa.dbl to a secure
    >location. Then, if you happen to need to re-activate
    >the OS you can do this quickly by copying the wba.dbl
    >back, overwriting the existing file.

    Yes but it does not work..

    Gregory Parker, Nov 23, 2003

  3. jfwilson

    Bruce Flyger Guest

    Gregory Parker wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 00:01:13 +1300, "jfwilson"
    > <jfwilson(nospam)@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
    >

    >>Thought I would share this tweak from Atomic mgazine.
    >>
    >>Copy the file c:\windows\system32\wpa.dbl to a secure
    >>location. Then, if you happen to need to re-activate
    >>the OS you can do this quickly by copying the wba.dbl
    >>back, overwriting the existing file.
    >>

    > Yes but it does not work..

    It works for me, but only on the exact same hardware that it was
    originally activated on.
    The file replacement process is something that should be done in safe
    mode to get around Windows file protection.

    --
    M.C.S.E :- Minesweeper Consultant & Solitaire Expert

    Bruce Flyger, Nov 23, 2003
  4. On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:58:27 +1300, Bruce Flyger
    <> wrote:

    >Gregory Parker wrote:
    >> On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 00:01:13 +1300, "jfwilson"
    >> <jfwilson(nospam)@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Thought I would share this tweak from Atomic mgazine.
    >>>
    >>>Copy the file c:\windows\system32\wpa.dbl to a secure
    >>>location. Then, if you happen to need to re-activate
    >>>the OS you can do this quickly by copying the wba.dbl
    >>>back, overwriting the existing file.
    >>>

    >> Yes but it does not work..
    >>

    >It works for me, but only on the exact same hardware that it was
    >originally activated on.
    >The file replacement process is something that should be done in safe
    >mode to get around Windows file protection.

    As asked about this in a MS support Newsgroup, and most stated that it did not
    work..

    Gregory Parker, Nov 23, 2003
  5. jfwilson

    Invisible Guest

    On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 12:33:00 +1300, Gregory Parker
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:58:27 +1300, Bruce Flyger
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Gregory Parker wrote:

    >>> Yes but it does not work..
    >>>

    >>It works for me, but only on the exact same hardware that it was
    >>originally activated on.
    >>The file replacement process is something that should be done in safe
    >>mode to get around Windows file protection.

    >As asked about this in a MS support Newsgroup, and most stated that it did not
    >work..

    Well gosh dang it must be true if it was stated there.

    Invisible, Nov 23, 2003
  6. jfwilson

    Rider Guest

    "Invisible" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 12:33:00 +1300, Gregory Parker
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:58:27 +1300, Bruce Flyger
    > ><> wrote:

    > >>It works for me, but only on the exact same hardware that it was
    > >>originally activated on.
    > >>The file replacement process is something that should be done in safe
    > >>mode to get around Windows file protection.

    > >As asked about this in a MS support Newsgroup, and most stated that it

    did not
    > >work..
    > >

    > Well gosh dang it must be true if it was stated there.

    LOL I was going to say something similar, but I just couldnt be bothered.

    Rider, Nov 24, 2003
  7. Hi there,

    jfwilson wrote:
    > Thought I would share this tweak from Atomic mgazine.
    >
    > Copy the file c:\windows\system32\wpa.dbl to a secure
    > location. Then, if you happen to need to re-activate
    > the OS you can do this quickly by copying the wba.dbl
    > back, overwriting the existing file.

    That probably won't work, because XP will only ask for a re-activate
    if a certain number of changes have occurred in the machine (wpa.dbl
    contains serial numbers of devices in your PC...if they don't match
    at bootup it will update wpa.dbl and if criteria are exceeded ask you
    for a re-activate code). Assuming you have upgraded the PC, the old
    wpa.dbl you put back in will have the serial number from an old
    device, and XP will probably not like that...

    Also, don't write protect wpa.dbl to prevent it being updated...that
    will apparently cause a crash that will nuke your registry and need
    a total re-install (read this in APC mag)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Nov 24, 2003