Re: Acronis?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by meerkat, Mar 23, 2010.

  1. meerkat

    meerkat Guest

    "Jane Galt" <> wrote in message
    > I'm JUST at the tail end of this transfer from old PC to new and want to
    > do
    > one last clone of the old HD JUST in case I missed something with
    > transferring the data, before turning the old box off.
    >
    > But I downloaded Acronis True Image Home 2010 awile back on the old PC
    > and,
    > duh, forgot about the time, so it ran out a few days ago.
    >
    > I'm willing to buy it, it seems like a nice program, but gotta get this
    > last backup made, and ( yes again ) am afraid that if I pay for it on the
    > old PC and then shut that one down and install it on the new PC, I'll wind
    > up with what I now call "the dreaded Symantec Experience", and it will
    > phone home and not work on the new PC after that, money wasted. ( the
    > reason I havent touched cursed Systemworks in many years! )
    >
    > I tried calling Acronis but they're apparently only into talking to
    > companies in their sales department, not home users.
    >
    > I emailed them, they wont reply.
    >
    > Even tried their live chat today, and got a guy in india who referred me
    > a totally irrelevant FAQ question, big surprise. ( IMO outsourcing to
    > people who barely speak english is a massive waste of money. )
    >
    > So has anyone tried this?
    >
    > DO I just register it for the old PC and take the chance that it wont
    > phone
    > home and will still work on the new one?

    Better idea Jane.
    D/load and install Macrium Reflect.
    Install it
    Make the recovery CD.

    Image your drive.
    You can then mount that image as a virtual CD and get what you
    want/need off it.
    http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

    best wishes
    meerkat, Mar 23, 2010