Re: Acronis?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by totfit, Mar 23, 2010.

  1. totfit

    totfit Guest

    On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 00:53:46 -0500, Jane Galt <>
    wrote:

    >I'm JUST at the tail end of this transfer from old PC to new and want to do
    >one last clone of the old HD JUST in case I missed something with
    >transferring the data, before turning the old box off.
    >
    >But I downloaded Acronis True Image Home 2010 awile back on the old PC and,
    >duh, forgot about the time, so it ran out a few days ago.
    >
    >I'm willing to buy it, it seems like a nice program, but gotta get this
    >last backup made, and ( yes again ) am afraid that if I pay for it on the
    >old PC and then shut that one down and install it on the new PC, I'll wind
    >up with what I now call "the dreaded Symantec Experience", and it will
    >phone home and not work on the new PC after that, money wasted. ( the
    >reason I havent touched cursed Systemworks in many years! )
    >
    >I tried calling Acronis but they're apparently only into talking to
    >companies in their sales department, not home users.
    >
    >I emailed them, they wont reply.
    >
    >Even tried their live chat today, and got a guy in india who referred me to
    >a totally irrelevant FAQ question, big surprise. ( IMO outsourcing to
    >people who barely speak english is a massive waste of money. )
    >
    >So has anyone tried this?
    >
    >DO I just register it for the old PC and take the chance that it wont phone
    >home and will still work on the new one?

    Clonezilla is a free cloning program that works great. If you are
    trying to apply an image from one computer to a computer with
    different hardware you are going to run into problems, because of
    driver issues however unless you add the needed drivers for the new
    system and sysprep the image. It might be easier for you depending on
    your level of expertise to just back up Documents and Settings and
    then reinstalling your old programs on the new system.
    totfit, Mar 23, 2010

  2. totfit

    LD55ZRA Guest

    "Jane Galt" <> wrote in message
    > totfit <> wrote :
    >

    > My old PC is so vast that I want to do a clone of the whole HD, in case I
    > forgot to transfer some data over, so I can shut it down and wipe the disk
    > without having to worry that I forgot something. So I want to clone it to
    > USB drive first, then format the whole disk.

    I hope you meant USB external hard drive. A flash drive isn't going to be
    sufficient nor should you use CD/DVD/B.Ray drive because they are prone to
    fail during writing process.

    hth
    LD55ZRA, Mar 24, 2010

  3. totfit