Re: Acronis True Image 10 Personal Edition - free

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gordon, Feb 4, 2009.

  1. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-02-03, joe_90 <joe_90_no@spam_hush.com> wrote:
    > 1. Go here and register with a valid email address:
    >
    > www.acronis.co.uk/mag/ati10pe
    >
    > 2. Couple of emails later (confirmation etc.), and you will get the
    > product registration code and a password for the Acronis web site.
    >
    > 3. Login to the web site and under 'registered products' there is a link
    > to download the product (95MB, so not fun if you're on dialup).
    >
    > Web site was a bit slow for me and can time out, but got there in the end.
    >
    > Oh, and for those that don't know, Acronis True Image is an excellent
    > file backup and disk imaging program.
    >
    > So now you have no excuse for not backing up your PC ;-)

    So this an advertising gimick? Interesting since Acronis get rave reviews.
    Still these are hard times
    Gordon, Feb 4, 2009

  2. Gordon

    joe_90 Guest

    Gordon wrote:

    > So this an advertising gimick? Interesting since Acronis get rave reviews.
    > Still these are hard times

    Well I'm not sure if this is a question or if you are just expressing
    your concerns in a public forum.

    Assuming it is a question and it is directed at me, I can't follow your
    logic so apologies in advance if my reply seems a little dense to you.

    I believe this type of 'advertising gimmick' is called 'viral marketing'.

    HTH
    joe_90, Feb 4, 2009

  3. Gordon

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs joe_90 wrote:
    > Gordon wrote:
    >>
    >> So this an advertising gimick? Interesting since Acronis get rave
    >> reviews. Still these are hard times

    > Well I'm not sure if this is a question or if you are just expressing
    > your concerns in a public forum.
    >
    > Assuming it is a question and it is directed at me, I can't follow
    > your logic so apologies in advance if my reply seems a little dense
    > to you.
    > I believe this type of 'advertising gimmick' is called 'viral
    > marketing'.

    Agreed. It is certainly not uncommon to give older versions of software away
    'free' (to magazine subscribers in particular) with reduced rates to upgrade
    to the latest feature-packed version. I mean, this is ver. 10 they're giving
    away, that's why I'm hoping it'll run on 98 as I've been using ver. 11 for a
    while now and that doesn't. Ver. 11 has been superceeded for a while now by
    ver. 2009.

    It's like AVG. Give away a free version as a way of baiting the hook for the
    full-featured version you're actually trying to sell.
    --
    Shaun.

    he`ll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett, Jingo
    ~misfit~, Feb 4, 2009
  4. Gordon

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <gmbj16$ldg$>,
    says...
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs joe_90 wrote:
    > > Gordon wrote:
    > >>
    > >> So this an advertising gimick? Interesting since Acronis get rave
    > >> reviews. Still these are hard times

    > > Well I'm not sure if this is a question or if you are just expressing
    > > your concerns in a public forum.
    > >
    > > Assuming it is a question and it is directed at me, I can't follow
    > > your logic so apologies in advance if my reply seems a little dense
    > > to you.
    > > I believe this type of 'advertising gimmick' is called 'viral
    > > marketing'.

    > Agreed. It is certainly not uncommon to give older versions of software away
    > 'free' (to magazine subscribers in particular) with reduced rates to upgrade
    > to the latest feature-packed version. I mean, this is ver. 10 they're giving
    > away, that's why I'm hoping it'll run on 98 as I've been using ver. 11 for a
    > while now and that doesn't. Ver. 11 has been superceeded for a while now by
    > ver. 2009.
    >
    > It's like AVG. Give away a free version as a way of baiting the hook for the
    > full-featured version you're actually trying to sell.

    AV what? - who uses that junk these days? :)

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Feb 4, 2009