Re: Acquired a "m"

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by John Doe, Feb 24, 2009.

  1. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    "Ben" <> wrote:

    > In my FF browser, I all of a sudden acquired an "m" in the URL
    > box, e.g. http://m.www.yahoo.com. Does anyone know what this is,
    > or where it may have come from?

    Hmm. For what it's worth. I seem to recall that someone else posted
    recently that they had several unwanted characters in the URL box.

    John Doe, Feb 24, 2009

  2. Ben wrote:
    > "John Doe" <> wrote in message
    >> "Ben" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> In my FF browser, I all of a sudden acquired an "m" in the URL
    >>> box, e.g. http://m.www.yahoo.com. Does anyone know what this is,
    >>> or where it may have come from?

    >> Hmm. For what it's worth. I seem to recall that someone else posted
    >> recently that they had several unwanted characters in the URL box.

    > I have an idea that ask.com put it there. I've done all I can do to get it
    > out, running my Malwarebytes' and Avast. Nothing found. I am just short of
    > a system restore.

    close FF, then click on the windows start button, then
    run and enter:

    firefox.exe -safe-mode

    this will start FF in safe mode, with all addons and
    themes disabled. Does the problem continue? Does the
    problem also happen in IE?

    help!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Feb 24, 2009

  3. Ben wrote:
    > "Ben" <> wrote in message
    >> "Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo"
    >> <> wrote in message

    >>> close FF, then click on the windows start button, then run and enter:
    >>>
    >>> firefox.exe -safe-mode
    >>>
    >>> this will start FF in safe mode, with all addons and themes disabled.
    >>> Does the problem continue? Does the problem also happen in IE?

    >> Thanks for the reply Peter. I think I found it. I uninstalled Sandboxie,
    >> and it went away. I have been using that program a long time, and never
    >> had that to happen before.

    >> I reinstalled Sandboxie, and by golly, the "m" popped up again. I guess I
    >> just won't Sandboxie anymore.

    then go and ask them how to work around it:
    http://sandboxie.com/phpbb/

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Feb 25, 2009
  4. Ben wrote:
    > I found it! I dug, and dug, and finally found it buried in www.yahoo.com
    > cookies, as m.www.yahoo.com. I blocked it being set, and the problem went
    > away, so it wasn't Sandboxie after all. I guess yahoo was the culprit who
    > else sets their cookies?
    >

    > "Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo" <>
    > wrote in message news:go22lt$6v7$...
    >> Ben wrote:
    >>> "Ben" <> wrote in message

    >> then go and ask them how to work around it: http://sandboxie.com/phpbb/

    glad to hear you worked it out. Then maybe you should
    contact yahoo and complain to them about this.

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Feb 25, 2009