Re: Acer Aspire 9300 - no battery?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by PeeCee, Dec 9, 2010.

  1. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    On 9/12/2010 3:51 p.m., Jordan wrote:
    > A friend has asked me to look at her Acer laptop, to see why it won't boot.
    > First problem I discovered was lack of battery power, but she has a
    > power supply/charger, so tried that. But it doesn't seem to help -
    > message still comes up saying low battery, and it won't boot.
    > I removed the battery and tried it with only the power supply, same
    > result. The PS checks out OK.
    > So, is it that this Acer Aspire 9300 cannot be powered this way, and
    > needs a good battery to work at all?
    >
    > Jordan

    Jordan

    Measuring the power supply voltage unplugged from the laptop is not the
    same as measuring the voltage with the power supply connected to a
    laptop load.

    It's not unknown for power supplies to measure correctly without a load,
    but when a resistor is connected to simulate the Laptops current draw,
    the power supply simply curls it's toes up.

    Lesson, try a known good power supply before condeming the Laptop.

    That is not to say the Laptop hasn't also got a hard drive or other
    fault as well (either hardware or file fault)
    It's one of the joys of Techhood learning how to diagnose the many
    potential faults in any given PC.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Dec 9, 2010

  2. PeeCee

    Mike Easter Guest

    Jordan wrote:

    > I do think it's OK though, as the battery has some life to it now it's
    > been on charge for a while.

    The Acer LT has a power reset:
    <q>
    1. Unplug and remove the AC adapter and battery, or power cable from
    the computer.
    2. Press and hold the power button on the computer for about 30 seconds.
    3. Release the power button and plug the AC adapter and battery, or
    power cord back into the computer.
    4. Press the power button and see if the computer powers up.
    5. If that does not work, try a different AC adapter, battery, or
    power cable and repeat these steps.
    </q>
    http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4 What can I do if my
    computer does not power on?

    They also recommend a power reset when they troubleshoot by removing the
    battery:
    <q>
    1. Unplug the ac adapter. Keep ac adapter unplugged.
    2. Remove the battery and keep the battery unplugged.
    3. Hold the power button down for 15-20 seconds. (Nothing will
    appear on the display and none of the lights will light up.)
    4. Release the power button and plug in the ac adapter ONLY. (Please
    note that a power indicator light should be lit on the ac adapter when
    it is plugged in).
    5. Normally power on the notebook.
    6. If the unit does not power on, remove the ac adapter and insert
    the battery into the system.
    7.Plug the ac adapter back into the system, the battery charging
    indicator light will light up.
    If the battery charging indicator light does not light up, the ac
    adapter may not be providing proper power to the unit, and may need to
    be replaced. </q>

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 9, 2010

  3. PeeCee

    Mike Easter Guest

    Jordan wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >> The Acer LT has a power reset:

    When I said 'Acer LT' I was referring to the Acer Aspire 9300 'LT' an
    abbreviation I use for 'laptop'.

    > Thanks heaps, Mike.
    > Sounds like it might force the machine to run without a battery.
    > Acer LT is another model, that might behave the same?

    Your specific Acer LT laptop.

    > Now the laptop starts, but the OS is faulty. But that's another issue.

    Definitely.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 9, 2010