Re: Accessing Secured Wireless Connections

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by (PeteCresswell), Jul 4, 2011.

  1. Per John Sisker:
    >My computer has wireless internet network connections, about 8 different
    >choices to be exact. They are all secured network, and that is the problem.
    >I can't use any of them, for I am told I need to get the password or phrase
    >key from the network provided. What network provided? I have no way of
    >access any of this information, no matter what I try. What's the point of
    >having wireless connections when I can't even use them. Obviously, I must be
    >doing something wrong.

    If this is a home PC, they're probably the routers of your
    neighbors.

    The reason for the password is to keep strangers out of their
    network/internet connection.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Jul 4, 2011

  2. Per John Sisker:
    >In other words, even though it shows up automatically on my computer, it is
    >not really an invitation for free access; one must pay for this access.

    The truly paranoid set something in their router that suppresses
    the name so it does not even show up - but my impression is that
    few people do that. The idea being that WiFi security is easy
    enough to defeat that it's worth having the router not show to
    passers by.

    I don't go that far myself, and I'm definitely no legal expert,
    but recent legal actions leave me with the impression that if I
    do not set a password and some wingnut passerby or neighbor uses
    my connection for nefarious purposes I could be in trouble. The
    logic behind that makes no sense at all to me... but that's the
    impression I get.

    When I ride my bike, sometimes I'll set my iPod on the handle
    bars and watch the connection list. The iPod's list identifies
    secured connections with a little padlock icon. There actually
    are a fair number of unsecured connections in my area.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Jul 5, 2011