Re: Accessing a DVR on a router thru the internet

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 1, 2007.

  1. In message <fgc2gd$brn$>, greg@ihug wrote:

    > I've just got a security DVR that has a network port on it, I can log in
    > to via my PC and see whats going on, but I can't figure out how to make it
    > accessable via the internet.
    > I've set the DVR to DCHP, so it gets it's own ip address subnet and
    > gateway from the router.
    >
    > But I'm not sure what to do from there.
    >
    > The router i'm using is a d-link DSL-504T


    You'll need to make sure the unit has a static IP address. Then, you will
    need to set up port forwarding on your router, so that connections to a
    port number visible to the outside world are automatically passed on to the
    DVR at the previously-arranged internal IP address.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 1, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    greg@ihug Guest

    "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message
    news:fgc331$c2i$...
    > In message <fgc2gd$brn$>, greg@ihug wrote:
    >
    >> I've just got a security DVR that has a network port on it, I can log in
    >> to via my PC and see whats going on, but I can't figure out how to make
    >> it
    >> accessable via the internet.
    >> I've set the DVR to DCHP, so it gets it's own ip address subnet and
    >> gateway from the router.
    >>
    >> But I'm not sure what to do from there.
    >>
    >> The router i'm using is a d-link DSL-504T

    >
    > You'll need to make sure the unit has a static IP address. Then, you will
    > need to set up port forwarding on your router, so that connections to a
    > port number visible to the outside world are automatically passed on to
    > the
    > DVR at the previously-arranged internal IP address.


    Ok i've set up the DVR with a static ip, set the port forwarding in the
    router to forward ports 80(web viewer) 5000 (video viewer) and 5001
    (command) to the ip address of the DVR

    Trying to remotly log in, using the wan ip address of the router with :80
    serves me up the web interface for the router, trying port 5000 & port 5001
    gives "cannot display the requeted page"

    Any more suggestions?

    Greg
    greg@ihug, Nov 3, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. greg@ihug wrote:
    > "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message
    > news:fgc331$c2i$...
    >> In message <fgc2gd$brn$>, greg@ihug wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've just got a security DVR that has a network port on it, I can log in
    >>> to via my PC and see whats going on, but I can't figure out how to make
    >>> it
    >>> accessable via the internet.
    >>> I've set the DVR to DCHP, so it gets it's own ip address subnet and
    >>> gateway from the router.
    >>>
    >>> But I'm not sure what to do from there.
    >>>
    >>> The router i'm using is a d-link DSL-504T

    >> You'll need to make sure the unit has a static IP address. Then, you will
    >> need to set up port forwarding on your router, so that connections to a
    >> port number visible to the outside world are automatically passed on to
    >> the
    >> DVR at the previously-arranged internal IP address.

    >
    > Ok i've set up the DVR with a static ip, set the port forwarding in the
    > router to forward ports 80(web viewer) 5000 (video viewer) and 5001
    > (command) to the ip address of the DVR
    >
    > Trying to remotly log in, using the wan ip address of the router with :80
    > serves me up the web interface for the router, trying port 5000 & port 5001
    > gives "cannot display the requeted page"
    >
    > Any more suggestions?


    It's best to test this from a machine which is actually outside your local network.

    > $ telnet 203.109.219.152 80
    > Trying 203.109.219.152...
    > Connected to 203.109.219.152.
    > Escape character is '^]'.
    > GET /
    > <HTML>
    > <head>
    > <title>NetViewer WEB-PROGRAM</title>
    > </head>
    > <body leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" marginwidth="788" marginheight="562" >
    >
    > <OBJECT
    > classid="clsid:17CE6980-0A83-4608-81BC-CA32EE9EC9B0"
    > codebase="NetViewer.cab#version=1,0,0,0"
    > width=788
    > height=562
    > align=center
    > hspace=0
    > vspace=0
    > </OBJECT>
    > <param name="_Version" value="65536">
    > <param name="_ExtentX" value="20849">
    > <param name="_ExtentY" value="14870">
    > <param name="_StockProps" value="0">
    >
    > </body>
    >
    > </html>
    > </object>
    > Connection closed by foreign host.


    I'm betting that's the dvr and that the port 80 redirection is working.

    > $ telnet 203.109.219.152 5000
    > Trying 203.109.219.152...
    > telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused


    May need work, could be looking for udp rather than tcp, may just look shut
    until it's expecting a connection.

    > $ telnet 203.109.219.152 5001
    > Trying 203.109.219.152...
    > Connected to 203.109.219.152.
    > Escape character is '^]'.
    > GET /
    > ^]
    > telnet> quit
    > Connection closed.
    > $


    That redirection seems to be working.

    Looking at the external IP from within the LAN hasn't worked for me since I
    moved from FreeBSD to Linux on the router. I've never figured out exactly why.
    Mark Robinson, Nov 3, 2007
    #3
  4. In message <2tod.net>, Mark Robinson wrote:

    > Looking at the external IP from within the LAN hasn't worked for me since
    > I moved from FreeBSD to Linux on the router. I've never figured out
    > exactly why.


    What do your iptables rules look like? I just tried connecting to the
    external IP address on my gateway Linux box from an internal machine, which
    worked, and netstat confirmed it by listing a connection to the right
    address.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 3, 2007
    #4
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?U3RlZWx3aW5kMTAx?=

    Seeing files but wont share internet thru router

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RlZWx3aW5kMTAx?=, Dec 15, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    678
    vballjim
    Dec 29, 2004
  2. Dennis Jelavic

    Shared Internet Connection thru Speedtouch 530 modem/Router

    Dennis Jelavic, Jan 13, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    866
    Dennis Jelavic
    Jan 13, 2005
  3. Edward M

    Accessing PCanywhere host thru Linksys router ?

    Edward M, Sep 21, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    2,619
  4. KLR
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    562
    Justin Brown - SYNACS
    Feb 5, 2008
  5. Replies:
    21
    Views:
    1,430
    Shauna
    Aug 26, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page