Re: Access Denied when trying to run Windows Update on XP machine

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Phil, Jul 27, 2003.

  1. Phil

    Phil Guest

    "Holy Moly" <> wrote in

    > I tried running Windows Update on my WinXP box, and got the following
    > error:
    >
    > "Access Denied
    >

    > Network policy settings prevent you from using Windows Update to
    > download and install updates on your computer.
    >
    > If you believe you have received this message in error, please check
    > with your system administrator."
    >
    > It's a used Dell computer, and to the best of my knowledge is a
    > legitimate copy.
    >
    > I tried the self-help options offered on the page, but to no avail.
    >
    > I don't know what else I might be able to try at this point; I'm
    > hoping someone in here might be able to help. Thanks in advance.

    Are you logged in as a user that has administrative rights?

    --
    Phil M.
    MCSE NT/2000
    Phil, Jul 27, 2003

  2. Phil

    Holy Moly Guest

    "Phil" <> wrote in message
    > "Holy Moly" <> wrote in
    >
    > > I tried running Windows Update on my WinXP box, and got the following
    > > error:
    > >
    > > "Access Denied
    > >

    > > Network policy settings prevent you from using Windows Update to
    > > download and install updates on your computer.
    > >
    > > If you believe you have received this message in error, please check
    > > with your system administrator."
    > >
    > > It's a used Dell computer, and to the best of my knowledge is a
    > > legitimate copy.
    > >
    > > I tried the self-help options offered on the page, but to no avail.
    > >
    > > I don't know what else I might be able to try at this point; I'm
    > > hoping someone in here might be able to help. Thanks in advance.

    > Are you logged in as a user that has administrative rights?
    >
    > --
    > Phil M.
    > MCSE NT/2000

    Yes, I am. There's only one user profile on this machine; sorry, I should
    have indicated that before.
    Holy Moly, Jul 27, 2003

  3. Phil

    Phil Guest

    "Holy Moly" <> wrote in

    > "Phil" <> wrote in message
    >> "Holy Moly" <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > I tried running Windows Update on my WinXP box, and got the
    >> > following error:
    >> >
    >> > "Access Denied
    >> >

    >> > Network policy settings prevent you from using Windows Update to
    >> > download and install updates on your computer.
    >> >
    >> > If you believe you have received this message in error, please
    >> > check with your system administrator."
    >> >
    >> > It's a used Dell computer, and to the best of my knowledge is a
    >> > legitimate copy.
    >> >
    >> > I tried the self-help options offered on the page, but to no avail.
    >> >
    >> > I don't know what else I might be able to try at this point; I'm
    >> > hoping someone in here might be able to help. Thanks in advance.

    >> Are you logged in as a user that has administrative rights?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Phil M.
    >> MCSE NT/2000
    >>

    > Yes, I am. There's only one user profile on this machine; sorry, I
    > should have indicated that before.

    XP Home or Professional?
    Phil, Jul 27, 2003
  4. Phil

    Holy Moly Guest

    "Holy Moly" <> wrote in message

    > "Phil" <> wrote in message
    > > "Holy Moly" <> wrote in
    > >

    > > > "Phil" <> wrote in message

    > > > Yes, I am. There's only one user profile on this machine; sorry, I
    > > > should have indicated that before.

    > > XP Home or Professional?

    I found a solution-

    Start/Run/gpedit.msc. User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows
    Components/Windows Update. In the right pane, double click, Remove access to
    all Windows Update Features and set it to disabled.

    My bad for wasting anyone's time. Still, though, nice to know the
    newsgroup's here. I try to give back when I learn something new.
    Holy Moly, Jul 28, 2003