Re: About Warner "Archive DVDs"

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by kaboom, Jan 11, 2010.

  1. kaboom

    kaboom Guest

    On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 10:06:15 -0800, weary flake
    <> wrote:

    >There seems to be some mistakes by journalists about the Warners
    >Archive DVD project. They are DVD-Rs, they say "Download" on
    >the DVD-R itself, and the hype, of course, is all about downloading,
    >exclusiveness of the website, etc. Not true. The DVD-Rs seem to
    >be showing up directly at amazon.com/dvd after a few months or so,
    >though I've seen no reports about this anywhere. Does anyone know
    >if there is an explicit policy to release *all* the Warner Archive
    >DVD-Rs to Amazon, and how long it is scheduled to take? I'm
    >talking about fulfillment directly by amazon, and not by third
    >parties. For instance, the Warners Archive DVD-R Who's Killing
    >The Great Chefs Of Europe (1978) and The Sea Hawk (1924) can be
    >bought direct from amazon.com/dvd, which wasn't true just a
    >few months ago. Amazon is more reliable (for titles they stock)
    >than ordering directly from Warners, which is slower and doesn't
    >do returns in a jiffy. This is all vital information for our
    >sweet, sweet friends from Britain, Germany, and all the other
    >non-american countries because Warner Archive refuses to ship
    >outside of the USA.
    >
    >Haven't watched the Sea Hawk (1924) yet, but have seen the
    >chefs movie, which is a funny "foodie" movie, and I don't recall
    >problems with the video quality, despite what some of the amazon
    >reviewers say. (related subject matter, The Simpsons season 11
    >episode where Homer becomes a fat food critic.)
    >
    >The Four's a Crowd (1938) Warners Archive DVD has transfer errors
    >in it, starting about half way through the movie (i forget the
    >exact timings) and shows itself as movement showing itself as
    >if there were frames dropped and the previous frame repeated,
    >"robot movement", I don't know what the exact technical term
    >for this sort of distortion, but there is a mild case of it
    >here; it is exclusively a transfer fault, not a source fault, and
    >is super retarded. The movie itself is of interest, for instance,
    >with the character who is sort of the "Mr. Burns type" and his
    >favorite statement is "release the hounds" and then the snapping
    >hounds chase away the rascally errol flynn.
    >
    >By the way, an inferiority of the amazon.com/dvd website compared
    >to the amazon.co.uk/dvd website is the "advanced search" on the
    >UK website allows search by Studio, while the domestic amazon
    >forbids searches by studio.

    **There are 68 Warner Archive DVDs listed at Deep Discount DVDs also.
    On the DVDtalk forum, some people have ordered from Warner and have
    gotten their orders fulfilled Deep Discount. Oddly, on the DD site,
    the Archive discs aren't listed under DVDs, but under Promotions. I
    searched Warner Archive at Amazon and got almost 300 hits though a few
    aren't the WA DVDs.

    Here's one of the threads, post #160 has a list of 421 (as of Jan 9)
    Warner Archive DVDs.

    http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/552017-wbshop-offering-rare-films-dvd.html

    kaboomie

    kaboom, Jan 11, 2010

  2. kaboom

    tomcervo Guest

    On Jan 10, 10:04 pm, kaboom <> wrote:
> [...]

    > >with the character who is sort of the "Mr. Burns type" and his
    > >favorite statement is "release the hounds" and then the snapping
    > >hounds chase away the rascally errol flynn.

    > >By the way, an inferiority of the amazon.com/dvd website compared
    > >to the amazon.co.uk/dvd website is the "advanced search" on the
    > >UK website allows search by Studio, while the domestic amazon
    > >forbids searches by studio.

    > **There are 68 Warner Archive DVDs listed at Deep Discount DVDs also.
    > On the DVDtalk forum, some people have ordered from Warner and have
    > gotten their orders fulfilled Deep Discount. Oddly, on the DD site,
    > the Archive discs aren't listed under DVDs, but under Promotions. I
    > searched Warner Archive at Amazon and got almost 300 hits though a few
    > aren't the WA DVDs.
    >
    > Here's one of the threads, post #160 has a list of 421 (as of Jan 9)

    Last week's article in the NYT seemed to make it plain that all the
    DVD's that are going to be released are out. The rest is up to the art
    houses, Criterion, etc. The Warners thing may not be perfect but it
    may be all there is.

    tomcervo, Jan 11, 2010

  3. kaboom

    Jerry Guest

    They can also be rented from ClassicFlix in CA.

    Jerry

    Jerry, Jan 11, 2010
  4. On Sun, 10 Jan 2010, kaboom wrote:

    > **There are 68 Warner Archive DVDs listed at Deep Discount DVDs also.
    > On the DVDtalk forum, some people have ordered from Warner and have
    > gotten their orders fulfilled Deep Discount. Oddly, on the DD site,
    > the Archive discs aren't listed under DVDs, but under Promotions. I
    > searched Warner Archive at Amazon and got almost 300 hits though a few
    > aren't the WA DVDs.

    I live in Canada, and find it incredibly frustrating that I can't order
    these by mail or download from the (rather hard to navigate) WB website,
    but I was happy to find them listed at Deep Discount DVD, and will
    probably place an order from them sooner than later (although they didn't
    appear to have one of my desired titles, Urgh! A Music War).

    Is DDD the best place to order them from, for the best price? (For those
    of us outside of the U.S., that is.)

    *s*

    Stephen Cooke, Jan 11, 2010
  5. kaboom

    kaboom Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 14:05:45 -0400, Stephen Cooke
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 10 Jan 2010, kaboom wrote:
    >
    >> **There are 68 Warner Archive DVDs listed at Deep Discount DVDs also.
    >> On the DVDtalk forum, some people have ordered from Warner and have
    >> gotten their orders fulfilled Deep Discount. Oddly, on the DD site,
    >> the Archive discs aren't listed under DVDs, but under Promotions. I
    >> searched Warner Archive at Amazon and got almost 300 hits though a few
    >> aren't the WA DVDs.

    >I live in Canada, and find it incredibly frustrating that I can't order
    >these by mail or download from the (rather hard to navigate) WB website,
    >but I was happy to find them listed at Deep Discount DVD, and will
    >probably place an order from them sooner than later (although they didn't
    >appear to have one of my desired titles, Urgh! A Music War).

    http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=88562693

    Hey-oh! :)

    Maybe you should re-search DD using the individual titles of your
    desired DVDs.

    Can you order from Amazon US? I would think that they would be the
    best.

    >Is DDD the best place to order them from, for the best price? (For those
    >of us outside of the U.S., that is.)

    **I can't really answer that. I think they're also available from
    Movies Unlimited. I have never ordered from the WBShop nor Movies
    Unlimited. I have ordered from DD and I haven't had any problems other
    than some of my orders take a very long time to get to me, but I use
    free shipping. Since you'll have to pay for postage up to Canada,
    perhaps it will be normal. Best to do a DVDplusPostage compare and
    contrast with Amazon, DD and MUnlimited.

    While poking around online, I found this forum thread that I thought
    had a lot of good info:

    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/284170/official-warner-archive-dvd-review-thread/0

    kaboom, Jan 11, 2010