Re: About Microsoft's affiliates

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by William Poaster, Nov 17, 2009.

  1. Above the wailing & moaning of the trolls, www.1.osvrt.net was heard to
    say:

    <snip>

    > To cut is short, I would like to try to break free from Microsoft and its
    > affiliates, just, since I am of very limited knowledge about computers, I do
    > not know what to do. Any idea is received with gratitude.

    Linux Live-Cds. All you do is put one in your Cd drive & boot the machine.
    It won't install anything to your hard drive, nor will it alter anything in
    your existing installed OS.

    Linux doesn't have viruses & doesn't need defraggging.

    Ubuntu, LinuxMint, & Mandriva are among the most popular.
    These are for 32-bit machines, but you can get 64-bit if you wish:-

    http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

    http://www2.mandriva.com/downloads/?p=linux-one

    http://www.linuxmint.com/

    Others are:
    http://www.sabayonlinux.org/mirrors

    http://pclinuxos.com/

    --
    Linux. The Malicious Software Removal
    tool which wipes Windows from your PC in
    William Poaster, Nov 17, 2009

  2. William Poaster

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    William Poaster wrote:
    > Above the wailing & moaning of the trolls, www.1.osvrt.net was heard to
    > say:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >> To cut is short, I would like to try to break free from Microsoft and its
    >> affiliates, just, since I am of very limited knowledge about computers, I do
    >> not know what to do. Any idea is received with gratitude.

    > Linux Live-Cds. All you do is put one in your Cd drive & boot the machine.
    > It won't install anything to your hard drive, nor will it alter anything in
    > your existing installed OS.
    >
    > Linux doesn't have viruses

    Utter rubbish and if you keep you head in the sand with that opinion you
    will have an infected system in no time.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Virus

    > & doesn't need defraggging.

    Neither does Windows although some software vendors would have you
    believe otherwise. Occasional defragging is no bad thing however.

    That said if Linux filesystems don't need defragging why would somebody
    even bother writing one?
    http://linux.maruhn.com/sec/defrag.html

    Also why would fsck even bother reporting non-contiguous blocks?

    http://www.webupd8.org/2009/10/defragmenting-linux-ext3-filesystems.html
    Desk Rabbit, Nov 17, 2009

  3. Above the wailing & moaning of the trolls, Desk Rabbit was heard to
    say:

    > William Poaster wrote:
    >> Above the wailing & moaning of the trolls, www.1.osvrt.net was heard to
    >> say:
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >>> To cut is short, I would like to try to break free from Microsoft and its
    >>> affiliates, just, since I am of very limited knowledge about computers, I do
    >>> not know what to do. Any idea is received with gratitude.

    >> Linux Live-Cds. All you do is put one in your Cd drive & boot the machine.
    >> It won't install anything to your hard drive, nor will it alter anything in
    >> your existing installed OS.
    >>
    >> Linux doesn't have viruses

    > Utter rubbish and if you keep you head in the sand with that opinion you
    > will have an infected system in no time.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Virus

    Did you actually *read* that URL you posted?
    <quote>
    There has not yet been a single widespread Linux malware threat of the
    type that Microsoft Windows software currently faces; this is commonly
    attributed to the malware's lack of root access and fast updates to most
    Linux vulnerabilities.[2]
    <unquote>

    [2] http://librenix.com/?inode=21

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/22/security_report_windows_vs_linux/

    Now as more than 60% of the internet runs on Linux servers [a], you can
    explain why it's almost *always* M$ ones which are attacked with viruses?

    [a] Ballmer Still Searching for an Answer to Google

    ,----[ Quote ]
    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscent..._still_searching_for_an_answer_to_google.html

    >> & doesn't need defraggging.

    > Neither does Windows although some software vendors would have you
    > believe otherwise. Occasional defragging is no bad thing however.
    >
    > That said if Linux filesystems don't need defragging why would somebody
    > even bother writing one?
    > http://linux.maruhn.com/sec/defrag.html

    Really! Do you actually *know* what that is?
    You *do* know what a journaled file system is, don't you.

    Anyway as you like "wikipedia", here is this:
    [Defragmentataion]
    "There is no online ext3 defragmentation tool that works on the filesystem
    level."
    "However they only work if the filesystem is reasonably empty. A true
    defragmentation tool does not exist for ext3."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext3

    > Also why would fsck even bother reporting non-contiguous blocks?
    >
    > http://www.webupd8.org/2009/10/defragmenting-linux-ext3-filesystems.html

    So that supposedly takes care of ext3 & ext4, what about the *other* Linux
    file systems?

    "I know everybody says EXT3 and EXT4 filesystems don't need defragmentation
    and in most cases, that's true!"

    See that? "most cases, that's true!"
    And why it's true:
    http://geekblog.oneandoneis2.org/index.php/2006/08/17/why_doesn_t_linux_need_defragmenting

    I've used Linux for about 10 years & never need to defrag any filesystem.

    William Poaster, Nov 17, 2009
  4. William Poaster

    philo Guest

    Desk Rabbit wrote:
    > William Poaster wrote:
    >> Above the wailing & moaning of the trolls, www.1.osvrt.net was heard to
    >> say:
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >>> To cut is short, I would like to try to break free from Microsoft and
    >>> its affiliates, just, since I am of very limited knowledge about
    >>> computers, I do not know what to do. Any idea is received with
    >>> gratitude.

    >> Linux Live-Cds. All you do is put one in your Cd drive & boot the
    >> machine.
    >> It won't install anything to your hard drive, nor will it alter
    >> anything in
    >> your existing installed OS.
    >>
    >> Linux doesn't have viruses

    > Utter rubbish and if you keep you head in the sand with that opinion you
    > will have an infected system in no time.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Virus

    LOL
    The link simply confirmed the Linux does not have virus problems

    philo, Nov 17, 2009
  5. William Poaster

    Mara Guest

    On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 13:52:59 -0600, philo <> wrote:

    >Desk Rabbit wrote:
    >> William Poaster wrote:
    >>> Above the wailing & moaning of the trolls, www.1.osvrt.net was heard to
    >>> say:
    >>>
    >>> <snip>

    >>> Linux Live-Cds. All you do is put one in your Cd drive & boot the
    >>> machine.
    >>> It won't install anything to your hard drive, nor will it alter
    >>> anything in
    >>> your existing installed OS.
    >>>
    >>> Linux doesn't have viruses

    >> Utter rubbish and if you keep you head in the sand with that opinion you
    >> will have an infected system in no time.
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Virus
    >>

    >LOL
    >The link simply confirmed the Linux does not have virus problems

    Which is why I use it. It's quite a relief to use, after a day full of cleaning
    viruses off Windows systems.

    --
    "Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without
    the discomfort of thought." -- John F. Kennedy
    Mara, Nov 17, 2009
  6. William Poaster

    Aardvark Guest

    On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 17:45:04 -0600, Mara wrote:

    > On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 13:52:59 -0600, philo <> wrote:
    >
    >>Desk Rabbit wrote:

    >>> Utter rubbish and if you keep you head in the sand with that opinion
    >>> you will have an infected system in no time.
    >>>
    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Virus
    >>>

    >>LOL
    >>The link simply confirmed the Linux does not have virus problems

    > Which is why I use it. It's quite a relief to use, after a day full of
    > cleaning viruses off Windows systems.

    But Linux has 'concept' viruseseses. Aren't they dangerous?

    --
    Half a bee, philosophically, must ipso facto half not be. But half
    the bee has got to be, vis-à-vis its entirety - d'you see? But can
    Aardvark, Nov 18, 2009
  7. William Poaster

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 00:31:23 GMT, Aardvark <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 17:45:04 -0600, Mara wrote:

    >>>LOL
    >>>The link simply confirmed the Linux does not have virus problems

    >> Which is why I use it. It's quite a relief to use, after a day full of
    >> cleaning viruses off Windows systems.

    >But Linux has 'concept' viruseseses. Aren't they dangerous?

    It's not the virus that gets you. It's those extra "es"s. Once they're got your
    OS you might as well just give it up, especially if your computer decides to try
    to spell "Mississippi."

    Could take months.

    Mara, Nov 18, 2009
  8. Aardvark wrote:

    > Mara wrote:
    >> Which is why I use it. It's quite a relief to use, after a day full
    >> of cleaning viruses off Windows systems.

    > But Linux has 'concept' viruseseses. Aren't they dangerous?

    Yes, if your computer is in a virus laboratory.

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends propagate
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 18, 2009
  9. William Poaster

    Aardvark Guest

    On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 18:41:07 -0600, Mara wrote:

    > On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 00:31:23 GMT, Aardvark <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 17:45:04 -0600, Mara wrote:

    >>> Which is why I use it. It's quite a relief to use, after a day full of
    >>> cleaning viruses off Windows systems.

    >>But Linux has 'concept' viruseseses. Aren't they dangerous?

    > It's not the virus that gets you. It's those extra "es"s. Once they're
    > got your OS you might as well just give it up, especially if your
    > computer decides to try to spell "Mississippi."
    >
    > Could take months.

    Sorry, cat tap-dancing on my keyboard.

    :)

    Aardvark, Nov 18, 2009
  10. William Poaster

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-11-17, Mara <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 13:52:59 -0600, philo <> wrote:
    >>Desk Rabbit wrote:
    >>> William Poaster wrote:

    [...]

    >>> Utter rubbish and if you keep you head in the sand with that opinion you
    >>> will have an infected system in no time.
    >>>
    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Virus
    >>>

    >>LOL
    >>The link simply confirmed the Linux does not have virus problems

    > Which is why I use it. It's quite a relief to use, after a day full of
    > cleaning viruses off Windows systems.

    If the nostalgia becomes unbearable, there are instructions on line for
    creating a virus to run on Linux
    <http://www.linuxsecurity.com/resource_files/documentation/virus-writing-HOWTO/_html/index.html>.
    Sadly, the poor things are doomed every time.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Nov 18, 2009
  11. William Poaster

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 15:47:44 +0000, Whiskers wrote:

    > On 2009-11-17, Mara <> wrote:
    >> On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 13:52:59 -0600, philo <>
    >> wrote:

    > [...]
    >>>>

    >>>LOL
    >>>The link simply confirmed the Linux does not have virus problems

    >> Which is why I use it. It's quite a relief to use, after a day full of
    >> cleaning viruses off Windows systems.

    > If the nostalgia becomes unbearable, there are instructions on line for
    > creating a virus to run on Linux
    > <http://www.linuxsecurity.com/resource_files/documentation/virus-writing-

    HOWTO/_html/index.html>.
    > Sadly, the poor things are doomed every time.

    LOL. That'll be my next time-wasting project.

    --
    Well, of course, this is just the sort of blinkered philistine pig-
    ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage! You sit
    Aardvark, Nov 18, 2009
  12. William Poaster

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 14:35:43 -0500, Mr. Majestic wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:

    >>> [...]
    >>> If the nostalgia becomes unbearable, there are instructions on line
    >>> for creating a virus to run on Linux
    >>> <http://www.linuxsecurity.com/resource_files/documentation/virus-

    writing-
    >> HOWTO/_html/index.html>.
    >>> Sadly, the poor things are doomed every time.

    >> LOL. That'll be my next time-wasting project.
    >>

    > Others would disagree that it's a time wasting project to find ways to
    > attack Linux.

    Dopey. I meant sometime if I want to kill some time I'll follow those
    instructions and see if I can use it to attack one of my systems. That
    should waste a couple of hours.

    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/12/linux_zombies_push_malware/
    > http://www.darkreading.com/security/vulnerabilities/showArticle.jhtml?

    articleID=216500687

    The first one reported in September, the second in April. I suspect those
    vulnerabilities would have been patched either before, or within days or
    even hours of becoming public knowledge.

    What the **** are you ranting about?

    > Linux is not
    > perfect, it's not bulletproof, it's not from outer space, and Linux it
    > can be attacked.

    You really like to underline stuff, don't you?

    Aardvark, Nov 18, 2009
  13. William Poaster

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-11-18, Mr. Majestic <> wrote:
    > Aardvark wrote:
    >> On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 15:47:44 +0000, Whiskers wrote:

    [...]

    >>> If the nostalgia becomes unbearable, there are instructions on line for
    >>> creating a virus to run on Linux
    >>> <http://www.linuxsecurity.com/resource_files/documentation/virus-writing-
    >>> HOWTO/_html/index.html>.
    >>> Sadly, the poor things are doomed every time.

    >> LOL. That'll be my next time-wasting project.

    > Others would disagree that it's a time wasting project to find ways to
    > attack Linux.
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/12/linux_zombies_push_malware/

    [...]

    It's unclear exactly how the servers have become infected. Sinegubko
    speculates they belong to careless administrators who allowed their
    root passwords to be sniffed. Indeed, the part of the multi-staged
    attack that plants malicious iframes into legitimate webpages uses FTP
    passwords that have been stolen using password sniffers. It's likely
    the zombie servers were compromised in the same fashion, he explained.

    [...]

    So how is it that passwords get sniffed and users get plain old ftp access
    to servers on the internet?

    > http://www.darkreading.com/security/vulnerabilities/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=216500687

    That requires access to an account that has 'write' permission to /dev/mem
    - which on my system means 'root' only. Once an attacker has root access,
    'security' becomes a hypothetical concept - on any operating system.

    > You do let someone know when Linux was made by god. God didn't make
    > Linux. Man made Linux. Man is fallible, and man made Linux. Linux is not
    > perfect, it's not bulletproof, it's not from outer space, and Linux it
    > can be attacked.

    Linux is attacked, vigorously, all the time. But 'black hats' tend to
    get further if they trick humans or find systems that aren't adequately
    secured.

    No-one is claiming that Linux is invulnerable to all and any attack or lax
    adminisitration. But it isn't as inherently vulnerable as some operating
    systems are.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Nov 18, 2009
  14. William Poaster

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 15:30:07 -0500, Mr. Majestic wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:
    >> articleID=216500687
    >>
    >> The first one reported in September, the second in April. I suspect
    >> those vulnerabilities would have been patched either before, or within
    >> days or even hours of becoming public knowledge.

    > Stupid, it's not the point as to when it happened. The point is that it
    > can happen.

    I've never disputed that, Mr Angry.

    > There are going to be more attacks on it.

    Well duh! Of course.

    > It's not
    > bulletproof as so many so called Linux users make it out to be with the
    > hype.

    Compared to M$ OSen it's fucking Fort Knox.

    >>> You do let someone know when Linux was made by god. God didn't make
    >>> Linux. Man made Linux. Man is fallible, and man made Linux.

    >> What the **** are you ranting about?

    > Linux is a piece of swiss cheese full of holes.

    An over-exaggeration, but I'll let that pass while you wipe the froth from
    your mouth.

    > And the only reason
    > those holes are not being exploited more is because no one is using
    > Linux.

    Do you mind if I check that no one is using Linux for servers? I'm sure
    I've heard that there are at least a few, possibly as many as 20 on the
    internet. But if that's all there are I can believe you when you say all
    those holes are being exploited. Shit, who'd want to, eh?

    > No one is coming after Linux hard, because it not being used at
    > the desktop by the masses.

    So, with only maybe 20 servers there must be at least 5 or six people
    using Linux on desktops. I can't really see that figure growing by much,
    if at all. Can you?

    >>> Linux is not
    >>> perfect, it's not bulletproof, it's not from outer space, and Linux it
    >>> can be attacked.

    >> You really like to underline stuff, don't you?

    > So what? You go listen to your Eminem cd(s).

    You weren't paying attention. My daughter pinched them. But luckily enough
    I have his latest album 'Relapse' on this machine- thanks for reminding
    me. I think I'll have a listen now.

    > After all, your just a dumbass home user.

    And you're just a fucking dumbass, so that sort of evens things out,
    doesn't it?

    Aardvark, Nov 19, 2009
  15. William Poaster

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 15:35:09 -0600, The Old Sourdough wrote:

    > HI there, Duh-wayne. Still off your meds, I see.

    ****!!! How did I not realise I was replying to Duh-ane!

    He's never left my headers though :)

    Aardvark, Nov 19, 2009
  16. William Poaster

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 21:42:37 -0500, Köhlmann is aka 'Petey Toro' OLAY!
    wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:
    >
    > <snipped>
    > <pfft>
    >
    > **** you Aardvark, I tried to post to you and be nice about it. I didn't
    > cuss you out as usual nor did I try to get smart with you. You chose to
    > act an ass here.
    >
    > **** you, you die and goto hell you stinking ass-hole. Man what a joke,
    > people out of that stinking shit hole called England are about.

    Hey DUH-ane, that was one of your better froths. I'll score it nine point
    six.

    Aardvark, Nov 19, 2009
  17. On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 15:41:15 -0600, The Old Sourdough wrote:

    > Aardvark mumbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >> On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 14:35:43 -0500, Mr. Majestic wrote:

    > snip
    >>>>
    >>> Others would disagree that it's a time wasting project to find ways to
    >>> attack Linux.
    >>>

    >> Dopey. I meant sometime if I want to kill some time I'll follow those
    >> instructions and see if I can use it to attack one of my systems. That
    >> should waste a couple of hours.

    >>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/12/linux_zombies_push_malware/
    >>> http://www.darkreading.com/security/vulnerabilities/showArticle.jhtml?

    >> articleID=216500687
    >>>

    >> The first one reported in September, the second in April. I suspect
    >> those vulnerabilities would have been patched either before, or within
    >> days or even hours of becoming public knowledge.
    >>

    >>> You do let someone know when Linux was made by god. God didn't make
    >>> Linux. Man made Linux. Man is fallible, and man made Linux.

    >> What the **** are you ranting about?

    >>> Linux is not
    >>> perfect, it's not bulletproof, it's not from outer space, and Linux it
    >>> can be attacked.

    >> You really like to underline stuff, don't you?

    > Ah, that's just ole' Duh-wayne. He's not smart enough to handle GNU/Linux,
    > so he trolls over in COLA.

    Duh-Inane got his ass handed to him in there as well. He knows nothing
    about GNU/Linux, but the troll is too stupid to know when to stfu.
    He's also too stupid to understand that he can't escape some kfiles, &
    nymshifting gets him nowhere. So in frustration, the troll bangs his head
    on a wall & rants.

    William Poaster, Nov 20, 2009