Re: ABES OF Maine

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by J?rg Preddimann, Jul 11, 2004.

  1. Michael Neville <> wrote in message news:<TYZGc.9898$eO.3615@edtnps89>...
    > My wife is thinking of ordering a lens on-line from Abes of Maine. Any
    > stories about ABes that I should be aware of before we ink the deal?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Michael

    Abe's is one of the best online merchants you can find. I have found
    them to be exceptional in both service and price. And as an
    international customer, I was not let down. They even offer a special
    service for European customers which pre-clears your order though
    customs before it leaves the USA. You are probably in the USA, so this
    may not affect you. My American friends and photography associates
    have all given me similar reports of the quality of this merchant.
    Stay away from B&H Photo, Adorama, Beach Camera, and New Egg. They are
    known to add false charges to people's credit cards.

    Regarding the lense you want to buy, is it a Sigma?

    --

    Jörg Preddimann
    J?rg Preddimann, Jul 11, 2004

  2. J?rg Preddimann wrote:
    > Michael Neville <> wrote in message news:<TYZGc.9898$eO.3615@edtnps89>...
    >
    >>My wife is thinking of ordering a lens on-line from Abes of Maine. Any
    >>stories about ABes that I should be aware of before we ink the deal?
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>Michael

    > Abe's is one of the best online merchants you can find. I have found
    > them to be exceptional in both service and price. And as an
    > international customer, I was not let down. They even offer a special
    > service for European customers which pre-clears your order though
    > customs before it leaves the USA. You are probably in the USA, so this
    > may not affect you. My American friends and photography associates
    > have all given me similar reports of the quality of this merchant.
    > Stay away from B&H Photo, Adorama, Beach Camera, and New Egg. They are
    > known to add false charges to people's credit cards.
    >
    > Regarding the lense you want to buy, is it a Sigma?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Jörg Preddimann

    DANGER - DANGER WIL ROBINSON -

    Gary Eickmeier
    Gary Eickmeier, Jul 11, 2004

  3. J?rg Preddimann

    Rich Guest

    "J?rg Preddimann" <> wrote in message
    > Michael Neville <> wrote in message

    > > My wife is thinking of ordering a lens on-line from Abes of Maine. Any
    > > stories about ABes that I should be aware of before we ink the deal?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Michael

    > Abe's is one of the best online merchants you can find. I have found
    > them to be exceptional in both service and price. And as an
    > international customer, I was not let down. They even offer a special
    > service for European customers which pre-clears your order though
    > customs before it leaves the USA. You are probably in the USA, so this
    > may not affect you. My American friends and photography associates
    > have all given me similar reports of the quality of this merchant.
    > Stay away from B&H Photo, Adorama, Beach Camera, and New Egg. They are
    > known to add false charges to people's credit cards.
    >
    > Regarding the lense you want to buy, is it a Sigma?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Jörg Preddimann

    As far as Abe's of Maine, check out their rating at:

    Adorama

    B&H Photo:

    I've been dealing with B&H Photo for 30 years.

    Rich
    Rich, Jul 11, 2004
  4. J?rg Preddimann

    nikki Guest

    > Michael Neville <> wrote in message news:<TYZGc.9898$eO.3615@edtnps89>...
    > > My wife is thinking of ordering a lens on-line from Abes of Maine. Any
    > > stories about ABes that I should be aware of before we ink the deal?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Michael

    From the reviews I have seen on the internet, Abes has a reputation as
    switch artists. Lots of people have written about bad experiences with
    Abes. I've never used them and probably never will. Look at B&H Photo.
    I have used them(100% satisfied). They are about the cheapest and have
    the highest rating And the most sales on the internet.
    nikki
    nikki, Jul 11, 2004
  5. J?rg Preddimann

    rs Guest

    Go with BH or Adorama unless you want to buy yourself lots of headaches . .
    then go with Abe's

    In article <>,
    says...

    rs, Jul 11, 2004
  6. J?rg Preddimann

    long hauler Guest

    J?rg Preddimann wrote:
    > Michael Neville <> wrote in message news:<TYZGc.9898$eO.3615@edtnps89>...
    >
    >>My wife is thinking of ordering a lens on-line from Abes of Maine. Any
    >>stories about ABes that I should be aware of before we ink the deal?
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>Michael

    > Abe's is one of the best online merchants you can find. I have found
    > them to be exceptional in both service and price. And as an
    > international customer, I was not let down. They even offer a special
    > service for European customers which pre-clears your order though
    > customs before it leaves the USA. You are probably in the USA, so this
    > may not affect you. My American friends and photography associates
    > have all given me similar reports of the quality of this merchant.
    > Stay away from B&H Photo, Adorama, Beach Camera, and New Egg. They are
    > known to add false charges to people's credit cards.
    >
    > Regarding the lense you want to buy, is it a Sigma?

    Yo Jorg!
    I have bought *thousands of US dollars* in merchandise from
    B&H in the last year alone. Never a problem, never any
    "false charges".
    long hauler, Jul 11, 2004
  7. J?rg Preddimann

    Jeremy Guest

    Michael Neville <> wrote in message
    > > My wife is thinking of ordering a lens on-line from Abes of Maine. Any
    > > stories about ABes that I should be aware of before we ink the deal?

    Numerous individuals have complained about them. Note that they did name
    their business "HONEST Abe's of Maine."
    Jeremy, Jul 11, 2004
  8. nikki wrote:

    >>Michael Neville <> wrote in message news:<TYZGc.9898$eO.3615@edtnps89>...
    >>
    >>>My wife is thinking of ordering a lens on-line from Abes of Maine. Any
    >>>stories about ABes that I should be aware of before we ink the deal?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>Michael

    > From the reviews I have seen on the internet, Abes has a reputation as
    > switch artists. Lots of people have written about bad experiences with
    > Abes. I've never used them and probably never will. Look at B&H Photo.
    > I have used them(100% satisfied). They are about the cheapest and have
    > the highest rating And the most sales on the internet.
    > nikki

    Guys and gals,

    This was not a serious post. It is a troll from a fellow named George
    Preddy (J?rg Preddiman - get it?) and should not be answered. I was just
    having some fun with it.

    Gary Eickmeier
    Gary Eickmeier, Jul 11, 2004
  9. J?rg Preddimann

    BandHPhoto Guest

    Re: ABES OF Manila

    <Stay away from B&H Photo ... They are
    known to add false charges to people's credit cards.>

    And force the unsuspecting to mow my lawn too. :)
    - --

    regards,
    Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com
    BandHPhoto, Jul 11, 2004
  10. Jeremy wrote:

    > Numerous individuals have complained about them. Note that they did name
    > their business "HONEST Abe's of Maine."

    They did? I thought it was just Abe's of Maine. When did they change it?

    Gary Eickmeier
    Gary Eickmeier, Jul 11, 2004
  11. "long hauler" <> wrote in message
    > J?rg Preddimann wrote:
    > > Michael Neville <> wrote in message

    > >>My wife is thinking of ordering a lens on-line from Abes of Maine. Any
    > >>stories about ABes that I should be aware of before we ink the deal?
    > >>
    > >>Thanks
    > >>Michael

    > > Abe's is one of the best online merchants you can find. I have found
    > > them to be exceptional in both service and price. And as an
    > > international customer, I was not let down. They even offer a special
    > > service for European customers which pre-clears your order though
    > > customs before it leaves the USA. You are probably in the USA, so this
    > > may not affect you. My American friends and photography associates
    > > have all given me similar reports of the quality of this merchant.
    > > Stay away from B&H Photo, Adorama, Beach Camera, and New Egg. They are
    > > known to add false charges to people's credit cards.
    > >
    > > Regarding the lense you want to buy, is it a Sigma?

    > Yo Jorg!
    > I have bought *thousands of US dollars* in merchandise from
    > B&H in the last year alone. Never a problem, never any
    > "false charges".

    Go with B&H or Adorama if you're buying new, and give KEH a long look if
    you're buying used........
    William Graham, Jul 11, 2004
  12. J?rg Preddimann

    Jeremy Guest

    "Gary Eickmeier" <> wrote in message

    > Jeremy wrote:
    >
    > > Numerous individuals have complained about them. Note that they did

    name
    > > their business "HONEST Abe's of Maine."

    > They did? I thought it was just Abe's of Maine. When did they change it?
    >
    > Gary Eickmeier

    Sorry, I should have proofread that before I sent it. I meant to say that
    they did NOT call themselves "HONEST Abe's of Maine."

    Mea Culpa!
    Jeremy, Jul 11, 2004
  13. J?rg Preddimann

    nikki Guest

    I was responding to the OP's request for info on Abes. His name is
    Michael, not GP. You might want to read a message before you respond
    to it, Gary.
    nikki

    nikki, Jul 12, 2004
  14. nikki wrote:
    > I was responding to the OP's request for info on Abes. His name is
    > Michael, not GP. You might want to read a message before you respond
    > to it, Gary.
    > nikki
    >
    > Gary Eickmeier <> wrote in message news:<mFfIc.34149$>...

    >>>From the reviews I have seen on the internet, Abes has a reputation as
    >>>switch artists. Lots of people have written about bad experiences with
    >>>Abes. I've never used them and probably never will. Look at B&H Photo.
    >>>I have used them(100% satisfied). They are about the cheapest and have
    >>>the highest rating And the most sales on the internet.
    >>>nikki

    On my server the OP for this thread is J?rg Preddiman. Are you saying
    your response was re-pasted into this thread from the original?

    Gary Eickmeier
    Gary Eickmeier, Jul 12, 2004
  15. J?rg Preddimann

    Stan Guest

    Jeremy wrote:

    > "Gary Eickmeier" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > Jeremy wrote:
    > >
    > > > Numerous individuals have complained about them. Note that they did

    > name
    > > > their business "HONEST Abe's of Maine."

    > > They did? I thought it was just Abe's of Maine. When did they change it?
    > >
    > > Gary Eickmeier
    > >

    > Sorry, I should have proofread that before I sent it. I meant to say that
    > they did NOT call themselves "HONEST Abe's of Maine."
    >
    > Mea Culpa!

    I don't know for sure, but it seems to me that they were "Honest Abe's"
    a long time back (about 25 years ago). Maybe it was another outfit, or
    maybe Abe's just sounds good with "honest" in front of it. Honest.

    --
    * * * To reply, remove numbers from address.

    Stan http://www.neworleansphotographs.com

    http://www.atneworleans.com
    http://www.sbeckart.com/sbeck
    Stan, Jul 12, 2004
  16. J?rg Preddimann

    AnthonyR Guest

    "nikki" <> wrote in message
    > > Michael Neville <> wrote in message

    > > > My wife is thinking of ordering a lens on-line from Abes of Maine. Any
    > > > stories about ABes that I should be aware of before we ink the deal?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > > > Michael

    > From the reviews I have seen on the internet, Abes has a reputation as
    > switch artists. Lots of people have written about bad experiences with
    > Abes. I've never used them and probably never will. Look at B&H Photo.
    > I have used them(100% satisfied). They are about the cheapest and have
    > the highest rating And the most sales on the internet.
    > nikki

    I agree with that from personal experience, the old bait and switch tactic
    was tried on me once by them
    and other type merchants that try and add expensive extras to your order.

    On the other hand newegg.com is a genuine great web seller, stuff ships out
    same day!
    Never any extra charges, that sounds like e-cost.com to me.

    Beware of all cheap prices on the web, especially if they don't have items
    in stock and try and sell extras.

    AnthonyR.
    AnthonyR, Jul 12, 2004
  17. Re: ABES OF Manila

    (BandHPhoto) wrote in message news:<>...
    > <Stay away from B&H Photo ... They are
    > known to add false charges to people's credit cards.>
    >
    > And force the unsuspecting to mow my lawn too. :)
    > - --
    >
    > regards,
    > Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
    > http://www.bhphotovideo.com

    You said it. You are a coward, a thief, and a con man. Typical American capitalist.

    --

    Jörg Preddimann
    J?rg Preddimann, Jul 12, 2004
  18. J?rg Preddimann

    JeffS Guest

    Re: ABES OF Manila

    On 11 Jul 2004 18:31:01 GMT, (BandHPhoto) wrote:

    >And force the unsuspecting to mow my lawn too. :)

    I'll mow your lawn all summer for a D1 Mk II. For an SD10, I'll pee on
    your roses.

    Jeff
    JeffS, Jul 12, 2004
  19. J?rg Preddimann

    nikki Guest

    Gary Eickmeier <> wrote in message news:<ZtlIc.34924$>...
    > nikki wrote:
    > > I was responding to the OP's request for info on Abes. His name is
    > > Michael, not GP. You might want to read a message before you respond
    > > to it, Gary.
    > > nikki
    > >
    > > Gary Eickmeier <> wrote in message news:<mFfIc.34149$>...

    > On my server the OP for this thread is J?rg Preddiman. Are you saying
    > your response was re-pasted into this thread from the original?
    >
    > Gary Eickmeier

    Michael Neville is the original poster(7 July). GP didn't post until
    11 July.
    My first message that you responded to had no mention of GP in it(go
    back and look). That's why I said you posted without reading. Maybe
    your NG is getting different postings. Either way, it's No big deal.
    nikki
    nikki, Jul 12, 2004
  20. J?rg Preddimann

    George Guest

    "Jeremy" <> wrote in message

    > "Gary Eickmeier" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > Jeremy wrote:
    > >
    > > > Numerous individuals have complained about them. Note that they did

    > name
    > > > their business "HONEST Abe's of Maine."

    > > They did? I thought it was just Abe's of Maine. When did they change it?
    > >
    > > Gary Eickmeier
    > >

    > Sorry, I should have proofread that before I sent it. I meant to say that
    > they did NOT call themselves "HONEST Abe's of Maine."
    >
    > Mea Culpa!

    Actually, I think Focus Cameras used to have a fineprint tagline that called
    itself
    "Honest Abe's Focus Cameras"...I believe they have dropped it some time
    back,
    probably to avoid confusion with Abe's of Maine (amazingly located in the
    general
    NYC area). I have ordered filters and stuff (<$100) without any problems
    from
    Focus Cameras.

    What you've really gotta watch for is most of the shady NYC camera stores
    with
    bad reputations are advertising using new, high-tech digital sounding names.
    George, Jul 12, 2004