Re: aargh now WTF do I do

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Buffalo, Sep 6, 2009.

  1. Buffalo

    Buffalo Guest

    philo wrote:
    > sheesh
    >
    > my little kid bother just got out of prison for selling drugs.
    >
    > (deserved to be there)
    >

    > the whole family told him that if goes straight and gets a real job...
    > we'll all support him.
    >
    > sheesh
    >
    > he got a job and he likes it,
    > he's doing very well as a matter of fact.
    >

    > sheesh
    >

    > now he's trying to sell me an *expensive* vacuum cleaner
    >

    > sheesh
    >
    > might have to buy one
    >

    > prolly only cleaned the house here a couple of times in the last 30
    > years
    >

    > sheesh
    >

    > lots of dust
    >

    > looks like i'm sunk
    >

    > dang it...
    > my step brother already bought a vacuum cleaner from him
    >

    > aargh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    If he can only sell them to friends and relatives, he won't make it.
    Perhaps you can help (support) him in another way.
    Buffalo
    PS: Besides, your old vacuum cleaner is probably not worn out yet with all
    the use you have given it.
    BTW, is your old carpet cleaner electric?

    Buffalo, Sep 6, 2009

  2. Buffalo

    Brian H¹© Guest

    philo wrote in news::

    > The vacuum cleaner I have is literally 50 years old but it still
    > works... but the GF has been nagging me for years to get a new one.
    >
    > Well. I am not going to call my brother...
    > but if he makes a sales call here...I suppose I'll buy one.
    >
    > But I will not make it easy for him...he'll have to clean the whole
    > house with it first <G>

    If it's a Kirby, they are brilliant tools, but I think they are far too
    expensive. About £950+ the last time I looked at one in the UK.

    Brian H¹©, Sep 6, 2009

  3. Buffalo

    NotMe Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message
    : Brian H¹© wrote:
    : > philo wrote in news::
    : >
    : >> The vacuum cleaner I have is literally 50 years old but it still
    : >> works... but the GF has been nagging me for years to get a new one.
    : >>
    : >> Well. I am not going to call my brother...
    : >> but if he makes a sales call here...I suppose I'll buy one.
    : >>
    : >> But I will not make it easy for him...he'll have to clean the whole
    : >> house with it first <G>
    : >
    : > If it's a Kirby, they are brilliant tools, but I think they are far too
    : > expensive. About £950+ the last time I looked at one in the UK.
    :
    :
    :
    : Yeah it's a Kirby all right
    : and he'll give me a hell of a great deal...
    : but still very expensive.
    :
    : However considering that those disposable cheap plastic uprights
    : cost $200 -$ 400 (USD) and last a year at best...
    : I guess it's worth it...
    :

    good machine way over priced. What your brother needs to understand is that
    the Kirby business model is based on screwing those that work for them.

    Way back when I ended up with a franchise when a business partner went belly
    up. The franchise made money but trying to keep up with the ethical
    challenges was more than I could stomach so we let it die.

    NotMe, Sep 6, 2009
  4. Buffalo

    philo Guest

    NotMe wrote:

    <snip>
    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    > : Brian H¹© wrot
    > :
    > :
    > : Yeah it's a Kirby all right
    > : and he'll give me a hell of a great deal...
    > : but still very expensive.
    > :
    > : However considering that those disposable cheap plastic uprights
    > : cost $200 -$ 400 (USD) and last a year at best...
    > : I guess it's worth it...
    > :
    >
    > good machine way over priced. What your brother needs to understand is that
    > the Kirby business model is based on screwing those that work for them.
    >
    > Way back when I ended up with a franchise when a business partner went belly
    > up. The franchise made money but trying to keep up with the ethical
    > challenges was more than I could stomach so we let it die.

    True but that's what most companies do anyway...
    I doubt if Kirby is any worse than most of the others...
    and it seems to me a better option than selling drugs!

    philo, Sep 6, 2009
  5. Buffalo

    NotMe Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message
    : NotMe wrote:
    :
    : <snip>
    : > "philo" <> wrote in message
    : > news:...
    : > : Brian H¹© wrot
    : > :
    : > :
[...]

    Don't know about "most " companies but in my personal experience Kerby is
    exceptional (bad) in that regard. My point in mentioning is by way of a
    heads up as the down slide can be unsettling especially for someone trying
    to get their act together.

    If you can teach him the ropes for selling tech support the man will have
    something (ain't nothing happening until somebody sells something) he can do
    that will be long term and positive.

    I wish him luck.

    NotMe, Sep 6, 2009
  6. Buffalo

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 18:45:18 GMT, "Brian H¹©" <>
    wrote:

    >philo wrote in news::
    >

    >> The vacuum cleaner I have is literally 50 years old but it still
    >> works... but the GF has been nagging me for years to get a new one.
    >>
    >> Well. I am not going to call my brother...
    >> but if he makes a sales call here...I suppose I'll buy one.
    >>
    >> But I will not make it easy for him...he'll have to clean the whole
    >> house with it first <G>

    >If it's a Kirby, they are brilliant tools, but I think they are far too
    >expensive. About £950+ the last time I looked at one in the UK.

    I have the one my grandmother bought, complete with all accessories except the
    shampoo tank. it's a very good vacuum, but it's not bagless, and it's very
    heavy, so it's confined to the basement. I like my Eureka Boss much better for
    upstairs, the cars, etc.

    --
    * Prowler wonders about this recurring lower back pain
    * AB takes the rabid weasel out of Prowler's shorts

    Mara, Sep 6, 2009
  7. Buffalo

    Buffalo Guest

    philo wrote:
    [snip]
    > Well. I am not going to call my brother...
    > but if he makes a sales call here...I suppose I'll buy one.
    >
    > But I will not make it easy for him...he'll have to clean the whole
    > house with it first <G>

    Now that sounds like a 'grand' idea. He may have to do it twice to get it
    clean enough.
    Buffalo

    Buffalo, Sep 7, 2009
  8. Buffalo

    philo Guest

    Buffalo wrote:
    > philo wrote:
    > [snip]
    >> Well. I am not going to call my brother...
    >> but if he makes a sales call here...I suppose I'll buy one.
    >>
    >> But I will not make it easy for him...he'll have to clean the whole
    >> house with it first <G>

    > Now that sounds like a 'grand' idea. He may have to do it twice to get it
    > clean enough.
    > Buffalo

    yep I am sure it will be a "grand" idea

    to put things in perspective

    in 1972 I had four roommates and lived in a slum apartment

    my rent was $200 ...a year!

    now $200 buys you two weeks worth of smokes...

    thank God that's one addiction I never got hooked by

    philo, Sep 7, 2009
  9. Buffalo

    Guest

    "Brian H¹©" <> wrote:

    >philo wrote in news::
    >

    >> The vacuum cleaner I have is literally 50 years old but it still
    >> works... but the GF has been nagging me for years to get a new one.
    >>
    >> Well. I am not going to call my brother...
    >> but if he makes a sales call here...I suppose I'll buy one.
    >>
    >> But I will not make it easy for him...he'll have to clean the whole
    >> house with it first <G>

    >If it's a Kirby, they are brilliant tools, but I think they are far too
    >expensive. About £950+ the last time I looked at one in the UK.

    To the OP.

    We bought a Kirby, wow; 30 years ago (time does fly).
    It cost ~$800-900 U.S. very spendy and we didn't shop for a vacuum,
    just bought it from a cold call, the same day, and before he left.

    Hope your bro runs into a lot of people like we were at that time.

    Maybe 10-15 years ago I was vacuuming the rug and sucked up a penny.
    No big deal most of the time they just make a lot of noise - this one
    took out the right side :).

    So now the right front half of the impeller housing is JB Weld.

    I'm storing my son's stuff for him while he's away.

    He has one of those WindTunnel hepa filter vacuums (Eureka Altima)-
    it's one of the nicest vacuums I've ever used, light, easy to use, and
    cleans better than any vacuum I've ever used. And cheap! They run less
    than $100 U.S..

    I empty the canister two or three times during each use; filled with
    dog hair, dirt, and lots of dust .

    I wish your bro luck.

    My youngest son just got a job sale'ing knife sets, he's excited (he's
    young) and made his first sale to a non-family member just a bit ago.

    --

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_removed_from_Windows_Vista#Windows_Shell
    Or http://tinyurl.com/5htqhc

    , Sep 7, 2009
  10. Buffalo

    1PW Guest

    NotMe wrote:
    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    > : Brian H¹© wrote:
    > : > philo wrote in news::
    > : >
    > : >> The vacuum cleaner I have is literally 50 years old but it still
    > : >> works... but the GF has been nagging me for years to get a new one.
    > : >>
    > : >> Well. I am not going to call my brother...
    > : >> but if he makes a sales call here...I suppose I'll buy one.
    > : >>
    > : >> But I will not make it easy for him...he'll have to clean the whole
    > : >> house with it first <G>
    > : >
    > : > If it's a Kirby, they are brilliant tools, but I think they are far too
    > : > expensive. About £950+ the last time I looked at one in the UK.
    > :
    > :
    > :
    > : Yeah it's a Kirby all right
    > : and he'll give me a hell of a great deal...
    > : but still very expensive.
    > :
    > : However considering that those disposable cheap plastic uprights
    > : cost $200 -$ 400 (USD) and last a year at best...
    > : I guess it's worth it...
    > :
    >
    > good machine way over priced. What your brother needs to understand is that
    > the Kirby business model is based on screwing those that work for them.
    >
    > Way back when I ended up with a franchise when a business partner went belly
    > up. The franchise made money but trying to keep up with the ethical
    > challenges was more than I could stomach so we let it die.

    Coincidently, the October, 2009 issue of Consumer Reports ranks the
    Kirby Sentria ($1,350USD) 11th in a listing of 40 uprights where all
    of the top ten are much less expensive.

    Only a Rainbo ($1,900USD) is more expensive and ranked 19th on a list
    of 21 Canisters.

    IMHO, I've always looked upon those two companies as almost operating
    an internal Ponzi scheme within their company hierarchy.

    It seems as if one could buy a middle of the road Hoover, every other
    year and be better off.

    --
    1PW

    1PW, Sep 7, 2009
  11. Buffalo

    NotMe Guest

    "1PW" <> wrote in message
    : NotMe wrote:
    : > "philo" <> wrote in message
    : > news:...
    : > : Brian H¹© wrote:
    : > : > philo wrote in news::
    : > : >
    : > : >> The vacuum cleaner I have is literally 50 years old but it still
    : > : >> works... but the GF has been nagging me for years to get a new one.
    : > : >>
[...]

    Bingo!! with an element of classis abuse as a spice.
    :
    : It seems as if one could buy a middle of the road Hoover, every other
    : year and be better off.

    Ever wonder why most motels use Oreck (spl?) machines? (One I saw after
    Katrina had been under 20 foot of salt water. they cleaned it up and it
    worked)

    Things are light weight, work and are cheap enough to toss instead of fix.

    NotMe, Sep 7, 2009
  12. Buffalo

    NotMe Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message
    : 1PW wrote:
    : > NotMe wrote:
    : >> "philo" <> wrote in message
    : >> news:...
    : >> : Brian H¹© wrote:
    : >> : > philo wrote in news::
    : >> : >
    : >> : >> The vacuum cleaner I have is literally 50 years old but it still
    : >> : >> works... but the GF has been nagging me for years to get a new
    one.
    : >> : >>
    : >> : >> Well. I am not going to call my brother...
    : >> : >> but if he makes a sales call here...I suppose I'll buy one.
    : >> : >>
    : >> : >> But I will not make it easy for him...he'll have to clean the
    whole
    : >> : >> house with it first <G>
    : >> : >
    : >> : > If it's a Kirby, they are brilliant tools, but I think they are far
    too
    : >> : > expensive. About £950+ the last time I looked at one in the UK.
    : >> :
    : >> :
    : >> :
[...]
    : The real issue here is whether or not I want to help out my brother.
    : It's way too expensive for me to have ever considered. except in the
    : present circumstance
    :
    :
    : I am perfectly happy with the 60 year old machine I have...
    : that I found in the attic of an apartment I lived in 30 years ago.

    Then give him $100 bucks incentive advance on referral sales for you support
    business. Perhaps a set of business cards with an email account?

    NotMe, Sep 7, 2009
  13. Buffalo

    Buffalo Guest

    NotMe wrote:
    [snip]
    > Ever wonder why most motels use Oreck (spl?) machines? (One I saw
    > after Katrina had been under 20 foot of salt water. they cleaned it
    > up and it worked)
    >
    > Things are light weight, work and are cheap enough to toss instead of
    > fix.

    My sister and my mother both have Oreck vacuum cleaners and their only good
    feature is their light weight.
    They are rated fairly bad in Consumer Reports on carpet cleaning and that
    was my opinion of them also.
    Vacuum a carpet with an Oreck and then with a good vacuum cleaner and you
    will be amazed at the poor job the Oreck does.
    Buffalo

    Buffalo, Sep 7, 2009